The figures don't really support that hypothesis, though:

VOTE 1

Ray & Maria – 44.31%
    Hayley & Dan – 33.21%
    Beth & Lukasz – 22.48% - Eliminated in 3rd

VOTE 2

Ray & Maria – 56.37% - Winner
    Hayley & Dan – 43.63%

After Beth left the contest, her 22% of the vote was fairly evenly split between the other two: 10% to Hayley; 12% to Ray.
    I supported Ray throughout the contest but didn't cast a vote until the final, when I voted several times.
    True - I hadn't looked at the actual percentages.

As Disraeli said "There are lies, damned lies and statistics" and it's a universal that stats can be twisted to prove whatever proof we require.
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    Ignazio wrote: »
    True - I hadn't looked at the actual percentages.

As Disraeli said "There are lies, damned lies and statistics" and it's a universal that stats can be twisted to prove whatever proof we require.

I'm happy to accept an alternate reading of the statistics. :)
    But it seems to me that either Beth fans kept on voting, in which case their votes were quite evenly split; or they lost interest (or some did) and didn't vote at all. Either way, they didn't seem to favour Ray over Hayley in a way that made a difference to the eventual outcome.
  • Options
    cazzbarcazzbar Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Ray was in a different league to all the other celebs. I thought he would receive enough votes to get him through to the final from others voting. I saved my votes for the Final (because of the cost of 35p per vote). I doubt I was alone in my thinking. If I had been voting for Beth I would have voted from week one because the judges could possibly have sent her home from the skate off. Maybe other fans felt the same about their favourite celebs and wanted them to avoid the skate off and voted from the start? When votes cost to make this probably affects voting percentages. I voted every week in SCD because they were free online - so again voting would probably have been different if there was a cost involved.

For me, it all came down to the cost of making my votes.
  • Options
    humpty dumptyhumpty dumpty Posts: 4,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazzbar wrote: »
    I thought Ray was in a different league to all the other celebs. I thought he would receive enough votes to get him through to the final from others voting. I saved my votes for the Final (because of the cost of 35p per vote). I doubt I was alone in my thinking. If I had been voting for Beth I would have voted from week one because the judges could possibly have sent her home from the skate off. Maybe other fans felt the same about their favourite celebs and wanted them to avoid the skate off and voted from the start? When votes cost to make this probably affects voting percentages. I voted every week in SCD because they were free online - so again voting would probably have been different if there was a cost involved.

For me, it all came down to the cost of making my votes.

This makes sense and I did the same. Also, there are many people who watch the show, have their favourites, or at least a clear opinion on who they think deserves to win, but who don't generally vote. I suspect that a lot of viewers could have been moved enough by the final, and knowing that Ray was in the skate-off last week and feeling he deserved to win it, were motivated enough to pick up the phone for the first time. I know its all just speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Ray pulled in votes on the night from people who not only had never voted for him up to that point, but who don't usually vote in reality shows at all.
  • Options
    JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    no one would have ever touched Ray closest I think to doing it through would have to be Matt Lapinskas