Options

CS Tracy -another transparent character change to suit storyline

summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
Forum Member
So for years Tracy has been a spiteful vicious woman with absolutely no redeeming qualities and certainly no empathy for anyone, even her own family.

Now she (unbeknown to her) is engaged to a murderer, which will inevitably be relieved at some time. The writers will be hoping that when this all comes out in dramatic style we will feel sorry for Tracy...

So MAGICALLY she is suddenly being written with nice qualities as a sympathetic member of the Barlow family for the FIRST TIME in 12 years. Hoping we'll all think "Poor Tracy".

So transparent.

I know the current Corrie writers are infamous on here for completely re-writing characters to fit storylines but surely this one is the worst yet.

(As a side note, I actually like Tracy being a more well-rounded character and have been calling out for it for years but not in this cheap nasty way of doing a complete 180!).

Comments

• Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that is the EP's agenda, it sure ain't working for me. The writing is too shallow for me to have sympathy toward her. Moreover it is hardly redemption storywriting, something with a lot more depth than we are currently been given, which is what Tracey needs to make her more three-dimensonal/rounded character.

The worst bit of the writing is that IF the EP is trying to garner sympathy for her, most viewers might feel she deserved what she gets. What is the worst that happens to her? She gets her heartbroken (again!), she has a failed relationship (again!), she goes back to being nasty (was she ever thus?). All this 'let's be happy and plan my wedding because Peter needs something to focus on that outside his own misery' is all fake-a-ry, wake-a-ry. Tracey is going to watch her hubby geting arrested during the wedding ceremony (oh! the drama!). Boo flamming hoo!
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Nihonga wrote: »
    If that is the EP's agenda, it sure ain't working for me. The writing is too shallow for that kind of character for me to be that sympathetic toward her. Moreover it is hardly redemption writing, which is what Tracey needs to make her more three-dimensonal/rounded character.

The worst bit of the writing is that IF the EP is trying to garner sympathy for her, most viewers might feel she deserved what she gets. What is the worst that happens to her? She gets her heartbroken (again!), she has a failed relationship (again!), she goes back to being nasty (was she ever thus?). All this 'let's be happy and plan my wedding because Peter needs something to focus on that outside his own misery' is all fake-a-ry, wake-a-ry. Tracey is going to watch her hubby geting arrested during the wedding ceremony (oh! the drama!). Boo flamming hoo!

Exactly. That's my point.

It's not redemption writing (which is what Tracy needs). It's just changing her character to try and manipulate the audience into a "Tracy's the victim, Rob's the villain" mindset. Maybe not you or me and the people of this forum but the average viewer who doesn't analyse everything. It's insulting.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »
    Exactly. That's my point.

It's not redemption writing (which is what Tracy needs). It's just changing her character to try and manipulate the audience into a "Tracy's the victim, Rob's the villain" mindset. Maybe not you or me and the people of this forum but the average viewer who doesn't analyse everything. It's insulting.

Not to the depth we go to on here, lol. But I think a few casual viewers won't buy into it that easily.

The problem with Tracey is, she does have her moments of epiphany when she realises she has done something wrong. But they are simply that - moments, and they are few and far between. As soon the flashing light bulb goes off in her brain, it is already dimming out, and she is back on hammer/hammy horror mode.
  • Options
    Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets all hope that Rob bashes TracyLuv over the head and does her in too.......he can take the devil child as well
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Not to the depth we go to on here, lol. But I think a few casual viewers won't buy into it that easily.

The problem with Tracey is, she does have her moments of epiphany when she realises she has done something wrong. But they are simply that - moments, and they are few and far between. As soon the flashing light bulb goes off in her brain, it is already dimming out, and she is back on hammer/hammy horror mode.

However, she has never shown one iota of remorse for cold-blooded, premeditated murder, nor for her behaviour towards the lovely Claire, Roy, Hayley and Becky.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    However, she has never shown one iota of remorse for cold-blooded, premeditated murder, nor for her behaviour towards the lovely Claire, Roy, Hayley and Becky.

If she had shown remorse, there COULD possibly have been a redemption story.
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has always got on pretty well with Peter.

Indeed, she doesn't have problems with that many men on the street. It's women she doesn't get on with - can't think of any that she goes apart from Kirk's girlfriend and her mum.

I suppose Tracey and Liz tolerate each other too.