Options

Atmospherics (merged) (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    adc82140adc82140 Posts: 3,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where in the New Forest will you be moving to?

Looking at Fordingbridge. Still just about commutable to work in Guildford. Should be an interesting new world of DXing, away from the influence of the London stations.
  • Options
    Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    Wow that's quite a long journey adc. But yes that will be an interesting place to DX from. I look forward to reading your reports from there.

Interesting that the distances from Whitchurch to Fordingbridge and Farnborough are about the same as the crow flies although in different directions.
  • Options
    Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick_G wrote: »
    It's certainly good short-range tropo here now with Heart Essex on 96.3 giving Eagle Radio some real grief (and just now had RDS with a PS name of Heart_SX), Southend Radio on 105.1, KM FM 107.9 and of course, BBC Essex good on 95.3. Wrotham has been up to 48 dBf on 91.3 (normally around 27-28 dBf).

Congrats on the move adc. Where in the New Forest will you be moving to?

Not much going on here near Bristol. Only two stations BBC R Surrey from Guildford coming in above R Bristol from Bath on 104.6 and Wave from Chillerton Down on 105.2 clear but mono only. Other stations which I normally hear with a slight lift are barely audible.
    Congratulation on the move adc and hope you get improved DX conditions in the New Forest.
  • Options
    Adam792Adam792 Posts: 7,147
    Forum Member
    Had an old FM dipole lying around, so I cut it down to Band III size and have been experimenting with it outside. Picking up a surprising amount of local multiplexes today in Mid Staffordshire.

Derbyshire (with no bubbling)
    Nottingham (with only slight bubbling)
    Birmingham
    Wolverhampton & Shropshire
    North East Wales & West Cheshire
    Liverpool (for a brief spell)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As part of that I've found the FunKids DAB+ test on NE Wales & W Cheshire. Sounds a bit metallic to me so could probably do with a bit more than 64kbps. It's nearly there though, and much better than mono 64kbps plain DAB!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With my makeshift band III dipole in the loft I seem to be managing to hang onto Nottinghamshire DAB most of the time. On FM Smooth from Waltham and BBC Nottingham/Trent FM from Mapperley Ridge have all always been noisy stereo at best here. Just goes to show the benefit of the digital SFN being able to add two weak signals together I guess!

Thinking about it, MXR North West would've been the reason neither was available before!
  • Options
    catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At some point last week I had a hissy stereo signal from the Belgian Radio 2 on my new hi-fi, which is a big improvement on my old one. My old system sometimes struggled to even get a stereo signal from local stations!

On and off for the last several days I've heard some French and Dutch stations, sometimes quite strongly, as well as the BBC and Classic FM on lots of frequencies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well there was some short-range tropo here yesterday evening towards Kent and Essex, strong enough to bring in listenable signals from Southend Radio 105.1 and KM FM on 107.9. Nothing exciting yet though. Hopefully conditions will improve over the weekend.
  • Options
    moordown66moordown66 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Egem was about here on 95.7, 98.6 and 102.1 yesterday evening. I was on the other side of town where signals are very different as you're very shielded from London
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Despite the Hepburn maps suggesting the lift peaking today (and maybe tomorrow) conditions have actually declined from last night when there was a slight enhancement. So everything is back to normal, despite an area of green stretching between central England and Belgium/Holland.

Very disappointing.
  • Options
    Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    At some point last week I had a hissy stereo signal from the Belgian Radio 2 on my new hi-fi, which is a big improvement on my old one. My old system sometimes struggled to even get a stereo signal from local stations!

On and off for the last several days I've heard some French and Dutch stations, sometimes quite strongly, as well as the BBC and Classic FM on lots of frequencies.
    Certainly a good week for tropo and after last nights lull conditions are still above normal again particularly to the South East.

As the high pressure declines next week should hopefully continue with the good condx.
  • Options
    James UKJames UK Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Hi all.

I've stumbled across this thread as I too have noticed the "beeps" which are still being broadcast on 91.9 FM @ 12/09/2014.

Can anyone recommend a site / method of trying to nail down what they are? No real reason, but I have a theory and it's driving me mad not knowing... ;-)

Having spent some time listening, I've established that "normally" you hear one high-pitch beep or tone, roughly once a second. At times, this stops and after a short length of silence (not timed it exactly, but it feels like 30 seconds / 60 seconds), you get a single low-tone beep.

This low-tone single beep will then be repeated, including the silence gap OR at some point, instead of this low-tone single beep, you hear five quick high-pitch beeps, followed then by the single high-pitch beep every second.

I've always been fascinated by things like "Numbers" Stations, the Conet Project, and odd sounds you can pick up on the radio, and so this intrigues me greatly.

My theory is that this is some sort of "tracking" signal like you sometimes see naturalists using where-by they fit a radio collar to a Grizzy Bear or some other animal, then follow its movements by using a directional Ariel.

I get the impression that the continuous beeps are some sort of "moving" or "all OK" transmission, and the pauses and low-tones are some sort of indication of a loss of signal / non-moving condition. The five-beeps after single low-tone appears to be a "re-established" / "moving again" indication.

I've listened to this signal for a number of days and heard solid periods of low-tone beeps and pauses, solid long periods of the continuous once a second beeps and everything in-between.

Anyone want to speculate / suggest a way of researching this? I did stumble across Gun Dog collars that emit tones in the field, but nothing that made me think "That's it..."

Given that Grizzly Bears aren't that prevalent in darkest Chelmsford, Essex, I'd love to get to the bottom of this.

My next thought would be to try tuning into 91.9 at different locations, moving further out from where I can currently hear the signal, to see if it gets stronger / weaker and narrow down whether it's a local broadcast etc. I've tried researching the tone patterns on the 'Net and the frequency, but come up blank.

Thanks for any input.

Regards
  • Options
    FmBandScanFmBandScan Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dutch stations such as Q Music, Radio 10, 100% NL and Radio538 are enhanced tonight, most to noise free and I even got RDS from 538 102.7 a few minutes ago!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Been getting HBB & Northants DAB this evening alongside the other East Midlands ensembles I've been receiving this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvhC1lbR1eY

Here where the FM band is fairly full, DAB DX is proving quite interesting :)
  • Options
    brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam792 wrote: »
    Been getting HBB & Northants DAB this evening alongside the other East Midlands ensembles I've been receiving this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvhC1lbR1eY

Here where the FM band is fairly full, DAB DX is proving quite interesting :)

Hi Adam,

Yes, I receive the HBB & Northants Ensemble, here in Lincoln. It comes from Sandy Heath TX in Bedfordshire. I believe the frequency is not used anywhere else in England. Try for the Oxford ensemble 10B (I think), or is it 10D?

Cheers,

Chris.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    brumlad36 wrote: »
    Hi Adam,

Yes, I receive the HBB & Northants Ensemble, here in Lincoln. It comes from Sandy Heath TX in Bedfordshire. I believe the frequency is not used anywhere else in England. Try for the Oxford ensemble 10B (I think), or is it 10D?

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

I think I was receiving the Northamptonshire version on 10C. Before Moorland Radio on 103.7, Geddington BBC Northampton on 103.6 used to be a regular here! I think during the scan my radio paused on 10D (Herts, Beds & Bucks) - maybe it ignored the stations as a duplicate of 10C though.

Unfortunately Oxford is co-channel with Derbyshire on 10B. Again though, on FM 95.2 (plus 99.1/89.5 etc) is a sure sign of the start of an enhancement here usually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam792 wrote: »
    Hi Chris,

I think I was receiving the Northamptonshire version on 10C. Before Moorland Radio on 103.7, Geddington BBC Northampton on 103.6 used to be a regular here! I think during the scan my radio paused on 10D (Herts, Beds & Bucks) - maybe it ignored the stations as a duplicate of 10C though.

Unfortunately Oxford is co-channel with Derbyshire on 10B. Again though, on FM 95.2 (plus 99.1/89.5 etc) is a sure sign of the start of an enhancement here usually.

Hi Adam,

Oh yes, I seem to remember 10C stations being the same and therefore not loading.

I forgot about the new Derby ensemble.

Last year I received this on 8B from Denmark. At the time, I was using a 5 element loft-mounted antenna, directed towards Emley Moor (North West of here), so not even in the correct direction for Denmark. See link..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND9hE687unY

Cheers,

Chris.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For DAB DXing would I have to do an autoscan to receive the distant muxes, thereby losing my presets?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For DAB DXing would I have to do an autoscan to receive the distant muxes, thereby losing my presets?

Hi Catherine,

Different makes of DAB radio have different search properties. Have a look at your radio's menu and see if there is an option for manual tuning. You may see tuning by Ensemble (Multiplex) from 5A - 13D etc.
    My Roberts radio is able to manual tune, without having to re-load any presets

Best of luck,

Chris.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brumlad36 wrote: »
    Hi Catherine,

Different makes of DAB radio have different search properties. Have a look at your radio's menu and see if there is an option for manual tuning. You may see tuning by Ensemble (Multiplex) from 5A - 13D etc.
    My Roberts radio is able to manual tune, without having to re-load any presets

Best of luck,

Chris.

Ah yes, my new hi-fi does have a manual tuning option - I'll have to revisit the instructions.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Small so far but Wrotham is up at about 44 dB (normally 27-28 dB) and Lille is stabilising and reaching RDS levels on 103.7. The London stations are also up a bit.

Maybe this will improve overnight.
  • Options
    Vince800Vince800 Posts: 678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picked up a few things last night which don't usually come through. Nothing from Europe apart from a few very faded French sounding stations on 91.5 & 99.5.

Here's a list of everything I managed to pick up on the Eton E3 last night using the telescopic aerial so it's mainly a few extra BBC Nationals which came in. Included everything here but the London stations etc are obviously always receivable here in South Hertfordshire.

87.5 Pirate
    87.9 Pirate
    88.1 BBC R2
    88.5 BBC R2
    88.8 BBC R2
    89.1 BBC R2
    89.5 BBC R2
    89.7 BBC R2
    89.9 BBC R2
    90.1 BBC R2
    90.3 BBC R3
    90.4 BBC 3CR
    90.7 BBC R3
    91 BBC R3
    91.3 BBC R3
    91.7 BBC R3
    91.9 BBC R3
    92.1 BBC 3CR
    92.5 BBC R4
    92.6 VERULAM
    92.9 BBC R4
    93.2 BBC R4
    93.5 BBC R4
    93.7 Pirate
    93.9 BBC R4
    94.1 BBC R4
    94.5 BBC R4
    94.6 BBC Berks
    94.9 BBC London
    95.2 BBC Oxford
    95.4 BBC Berks
    95.5 BBC 3CR
    95.8 Capital
    96 BBC CAMB
    96.1 BBC Solent
    96.4 EAGLE
    96.6 Heart
    96.9 Heart
    97.3 LBC
    97.6 Heart
    98.2 RADIO 1
    98.5 RADIO 1
    98.8 RADIO 1
    99.1 RADIO 1
    99.3 RADIO 1
    99.7 Pirate
    100 KISS 100
    100.3 Classic
    100.6 Classic
    100.9 Classic
    101.3 Classic
    101.5 Classic
    101.9 Classic
    102 Pirate
    102.2 Smooth
    102.6 Heart
    102.9 Heart
    103.1 Heart
    103.3 London Greek
    103.5 BBC Essex
    103.6 BANG Radio
    103.8 BBC 3CR
    104 BBC SURREY
    104.1 BBC BERKS
    104.4 BBC BERKS
    104.6 BBC SURREY
    104.9 XFM
    105.2 Wave 105
    105.4 Magic
    105.6 Kiss
    105.8 Absolute
    106 Jack
    106.2 Heart
    106.4 Kiss
    106.6 Time
    106.9 BOB
    107.1 Capital Xtra
    107.3 Reprezent
    107.6 VIBE1076
    107.8 Jackie

Good to hear Wave 105 again, completely wiping out Release FM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some nice out-of-season E-skip about for the last couple of hours, mainly from the Balkans, with Croatia, Serbia, Hungary and Italy positively IDed so far. I managed to get full RDS on RTS Beograd 1 on 94.5 and 95.3 at one point which was a nice surprise.

Still trying to hang on as I type.
  • Options
    radioredcatradioredcat Posts: 1,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have altered my aerials again I have put my Antiference FM 3 vertical mainly for Ireland and it has made a vast difference to the dipole I was using.

http://s593.photobucket.com/user/radioredcat/media/My%20Aerials/100_1710_zpse151ab9c.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I have been receiving UK RAW 87.5 London pirate nearly every day for the past few weeks and I uploaded a video which was rather noisy so I have uploaded another video which is better quality received on 17/09/14.

http://youtu.be/UmvONU08-_Y

Andy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This morning I'm receiving hissy stereo signals from Belgium. This also happened on Tuesday morning when I also heard some Dutch and French stations.