Options

New Tricks Series 11

Comments

• Options
    Ben_PainterBen_Painter Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I still think his replacement (if he's replaced at all) should be a woman because that would be completely new. It would be interesting to see how the dynamic is affected by a 50/50 gender split.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dennis is contracted to do two of the ten episodes in the next series - perhaps they won't replace him at all....
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Dennis is contracted to do two of the ten episodes in the next series - perhaps they won't replace him at all....
    Broadly similar to James Bolam then, and yet he was replaced a couple of episodes later into the series..

My guess is that he'll do the first couple of episodes, leave, with a new character coming in for the remaining episodes. There is also the possibility that there will be a single episode or two with no new character.

But he'll be replaced, of that I'm sure. 8 episodes would be too long for the rest of the characters to carry the show.

Unless the BBC reduce the commission of course.
  • Options
    turfmiketurfmike Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Very Sad to hear that Denis is leaving, they will have to come up with something very special for it to continue beyond series 12.

For the next two weeks it is going to be done over by Cilla Black :cry:
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    turfmike wrote: »
    Very Sad to hear that Denis is leaving, they will have to come up with something very special for it to continue beyond series 12.

For the next two weeks it is going to be done over by Cilla Black
    :cry:

Not in this house it won't.

Somebody who has reached the top of the WDYTYA list then qualifies to perform in an ITV docu-drama. no thanks
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I hope they don't dress Dan up as a gladiator - Rodney will instantly jump to mind! lol
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So was Holly born disabled or was it because of what her mother did?
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    I hope they don't dress Dan up as a gladiator - Rodney will instantly jump to mind! lol

I totally forgot about that ha.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They finally told us the story where Dan's wife was concerned, then!

(I'm only 33 minutes into it, I started late and re-watch bits!)
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Is it me, or was that the first time in long while that they'd used the actual New Tricks theme as the end credits music?
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hopee danny gets with that woman
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    Is it me, or was that the first time in long while that they'd used the actual New Tricks theme as the end credits music?

I thought I had sung along to it last time, or did I just sing it automatically hearing Dennis singing it in my mind?

I don't think I could ever take to Dan's character, he just seems antagonistic, belligerent and lacking in personality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tonight's was a cracking episode I thought, although I was hardly surprised since Roy Mitchell always gets it right. He understands exactly how the show should work. Sometimes I wish they did greatly reduce the episode count so that he could just write all of them every year.
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed tonight's episode. I think Lyndhurst acted when he was telling Sasha about his wife really really well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jtnorth wrote: »
    Really enjoyed tonight's episode. I think Lyndhurst acted when he was telling Sasha about his wife really really well.

I agree with that. Also when he first told Fiona about her. I thought Nick was very good tonight. But then, I don't think he's a bad actor, like some do!

Really enjoyed tonight. Soon as I saw Roy Mitchell wrote it I knew it wouldn't be boring and slow!

Nice to be Mick Johnson again! And it's the first time I've seen Liz White in something in modern clothes! lol
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    k9fan wrote: »
    I thought I had sung along to it last time, or did I just sing it automatically hearing Dennis singing it in my mind?

I don't think I could ever take to Dan's character, he just seems antagonistic, belligerent and lacking in personality.

I think I switched over just before the end last week! I actually quite liked Dan tonight. Previously I've found Nicholas Lyndhurst's performance to be a bit too mannered in a 'this character is very different from Rodney!' kind of way, but tonight went a long way to making Dan much more three dimensional
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought at first the hospital place Dan's wife was in was the same place used for War against Drugs in Series 6, cos it looked similar, so I had a look at that episode.
    It wasn't! But it gave me a good excuse to have a quick look at one of my favourite episodes!

Gerry going undercover as a sex addict was funny, so was Sandra's facial expression reaction when the sex therapist talked to her about the sex problems Gerry had told her he and his wife were having! lol
    Another cracking episode.

And funnily enough - THAT episode was written by Roy Mitchell as well!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    I agree with that. Also when he first told Fiona about her. I thought Nick was very good tonight. But then, I don't think he's a bad actor, like some do!

Really enjoyed tonight. Soon as I saw Roy Mitchell wrote it I knew it wouldn't be boring and slow!

Nice to be Mick Johnson again! And it's the first time I've seen Liz White in something in modern clothes! lol

Yeah I thought exactly the same. She was a lot nicer in Our Zoo as well.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Broadly similar to James Bolam then, and yet he was replaced a couple of episodes later into the series..

My guess is that he'll do the first couple of episodes, leave, with a new character coming in for the remaining episodes. There is also the possibility that there will be a single episode or two with no new character.

But he'll be replaced, of that I'm sure. 8 episodes would be too long for the rest of the characters to carry the show.

Unless the BBC reduce the commission of course.

My personal opinion is that the 12 season will be reduced to five episodes and then expect it to be announced that its the final series.

I reckon there is still hope though if they go for a reboot after Waterman goes with McCann joining the Glasgow UCOS, outhwaite and Lyndhurst are not popular with the viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My personal opinion is that the 12 season will be reduced to five episodes and then expect it to be announced that its the final series.

I reckon there is still hope though if they go for a reboot after Waterman goes with McCann joining the Glasgow UCOS, outhwaite and Lyndhurst are not popular with the viewers.

Had enough of Scotland for one year!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another good episode tonight!

Where they starting something tonight with Dan teasing Gerry about retirement!
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    turfmike wrote: »
    Another good episode tonight!

Where they starting something tonight with Dan teasing Gerry about retirement!

I didn't see that as teasing at the time, Dan seemed antagonistic and belligerent, quite a nasty character, and Gerry, rightly IMO, looked shocked at Dan's unnecessary sharpness.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not really enjoying this at all anymore. Excepting Gerry, who has pretty much remained the same, Denis Lawson is WOEFULLY underused and Nicholas Lyndhursts character is bloody horrible. Sasha is just boring.

There is no camaraderie, none of sense of the fun that we used to have and it's filmed with that bloody awful green tinge.

It worked so well before because of the sense of friendship and caring about each other. This lot look as though they really couldn't give a stuff.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't see that as teasing at the time, Dan seemed antagonistic and belligerent, quite a nasty character, and Gerry, rightly IMO, looked shocked at Dan's unnecessary sharpness.

I think last night we are finally begining to peel back the layers to Dan's character. No doubt he has never told anyone about his wife due to the incident with Holly and does not want to be judged as a poor father. As he probably feels he let that happen, to me he seems to be a mix of Jack and Brian. Jack could have a nasty streak and not be bothered about the others at times.

I suspect the incident with his wife has left Dan socially inadequate. Though Brian has this as well he had a personality that you wanted to love. Maybe Dan will start to open up more now he has told Sasha about his past.
  • Options
    J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes I thought that was more antagonistic than teasing too. I wasn't sure if Dan meant it that way but that was how it seemed to me.

I don't like Dans character either as he has no redeeming features - unlike Brian - he's just arrogant! NL did do an amazing job with the storyline about his wife though - it made me sympathise with the character somewhat but still not enough to care.

They don't seem to know what to do with Denis Lawson, which is a shame as I thought he and Denis Waterman gelled well from the start. Maybe he will assume the role DW has played up to now.

I enjoyed last nights episode though but mostly because of Gerry. Having enjoyed the series from the start I am undecided whether to carry on when DW has gone or not. I wouldn't like to see it decline any further. IF they could get the right actor for it though they could possibly turn it around.