Do you ever despair at the amount of idiots online?

offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
Forum Member
✭✭
I know I do. While I accept that the showbiz forum on here is a bit of a cesspit, I can't believe the next to non-existent grip on reality many of the posters in there seem to have and how awful they can be about random strangers and towards each other.

It's not just there though. Facebook, Twitter, and just about every site seems littered with idiots these days who will lash out and make the most awful assumptions about someone they don't even know, posting it openly so the potential baying mob can indulge in yet another pile on.

This is by no means a flounce post as I'm not going anywhere, I just wanted to get it off my chest. The internet has always had a nasty side but it seems to be getting more out-in-the-open and much worse too.

Comments

• benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dis pair, dat pair, who care?
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. I find them rather entertaining tbh. Perhaps more than I should.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I know I do. While I accept that the showbiz forum on here is a bit of a cesspit, I can't believe the next to non-existent grip on reality many of the posters in there seem to have and how awful they can be about random strangers and towards each other.

It's not just there though. Facebook, Twitter, and just about every site seems littered with idiots these days who will lash out and make the most awful assumptions about someone they don't even know, posting it openly so the potential baying mob can indulge in yet another pile on.

This is by no means a flounce post as I'm not going anywhere, I just wanted to get it off my chest. The internet has always had a nasty side but it seems to be getting more out-in-the-open and much worse too.
    I think the downside of the internet is that it's given people who are short on thinking power and rational thinking, the freedom to expound their views , without any responsibility for them,I think that will change over time, as is already happening, which for the vast majority of internet users is a shame as I do approve of the freedom of the internet, but we are in danger of losing that freedom,.

n.b It's 'despair' btw.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try to let it go over my head. Stupid people have always existed and always will exist so you just have to learn to live with it.

Although it entirely depends on how I'm feeling...
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes people behave as they do because they know that they don't have to face the other person that they're verbally (virtually) attacking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do, sometimes.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't tell him how to spell for goodness sake. That's one of the ways to tell who the idiots are.

OP that's just a joke.

The problem is that there are perhaps 2 billion web users, and probably 100 million of them are mentally deficient, from broken homes and so on. So when you come across one, when you call him a silly idiot, remember that in truth he really is one and you might as well give up.
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    n.b It's 'despair' btw.

How embarrassing. I make so many typos sometimes. :o:p
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No more so than I do at the amount in general day to day life.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's too easy on the Internet for someone to say nasty things or wish some really horrid stuff about someone else or a group when they don't have to say it in their face. There's certainly been a lot of idiotic things being said this year by people led by emotion or vested interest as opposed to reason or intellect.

For example, I've seen people call for benefit claimants to be rounded up in camps and gassed, sterilised or treated as a sub-human species. But i bet they daren't say that to someone's face down the local Jobcentre.

It'll backfire though, a few libel lawsuits, someone finding out where someone lives and going to punch them or vigilante action for them to be silenced.
  • cinnamon girlcinnamon girl Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I try to let it go over my head. Stupid people have always existed and always will exist so you just have to learn to live with it.

Although it entirely depends on how I'm feeling...

Agreed. The internet lets you see the thoughts of lots more people than you otherwise would, hence unfortunately it exposes you to more idiotic thoughts.

I do hate the backlashes and witch hunts that crop up on the internet, though. They probably wouldn't be more than a bit of a rant between a few people in a pub or something otherwise.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    In answer to the OP every single day

I do hate the backlashes and witch hunts that crop up on the internet, though. They probably wouldn't be more than a bit of a rant between a few people in a pub or something otherwise.

I think that's because it's pretty much there forever when you have a argument in real life once it's said and a bit of a row it's over and done with.

On the internet you can go back and reread it and get all worked up again
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you ever despair at the amount of idiots online?

One less today!!!

:D:D:D
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given the number of absolute idiots i meet on a daily basis i'd say DS is probably running at about 50-60% of its possible idiot quota
  • Macbeth88Macbeth88 Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Yes, I do!

However, I sometimes despair at the way I get on myself :(
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, because if they weren't online, they might be out causing trouble on the streets.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they're evil idiots, they might be the Devil, or his followers (one for Alan Partridge fans).
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One less today!!!

Gone but not quite forgotten (yet).
    Forum Member
    Who's gone today did I miss something?
  • yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We cannot despair of humanity, since we ourselves are human beings.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One less today!!!

They're probably back already. It's like the mods pay whack a mole.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I often wonder just what kind of a joke some of these people would be if you met them in real life. Can't imagine them being taken very seriously.

I always imagine them screaming with fright and shrinking back, if you suddenly turned and mock roared at them :D
    Forum Member

Doesn't matter saw who it was no loss
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I've been brought up around/with the Internet so I am well aware of how many idiots are on it!
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hydra.