Options

Do you ever despair at the amount of idiots online?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    No.
    Stupid people make us all look intelligent. They are necessary for balance. :)
  • Options
    offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Macbeth88 wrote: »

However, I sometimes despair at the way I get on myself :(

I despair at myself when I allow myself to get all worked up by words on a screen but sometimes people can direct stuff at you that is genuinely harmful and because their comment will be there forever unless either they or a mod delete it, it can really niggle away at you even years later.

I love the internet but it does have a dark side and can really bring out the very worst in people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would mean I despair about myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been brought up around/with the Internet so I am well aware of how many idiots are on it!

So have I for the most part - been online now since 1998. Even though I've seen it all it's still possible to be taken aback by how vindictive and savage people can be online. I want freedom of the internet to remain but even though I don't agree with them at all I can understand why some want more regulation.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I do. While I accept that the showbiz forum on here is a bit of a cesspit, I can't believe the next to non-existent grip on reality many of the posters in there seem to have and how awful they can be about random strangers and towards each other.

It's not just there though. Facebook, Twitter, and just about every site seems littered with idiots these days who will lash out and make the most awful assumptions about someone they don't even know, posting it openly so the potential baying mob can indulge in yet another pile on.

This is by no means a flounce post as I'm not going anywhere, I just wanted to get it off my chest. The internet has always had a nasty side but it seems to be getting more out-in-the-open and much worse too.

The Internet does make ordinary and usually sane people ruder or more aggressive because we're faceless on the Internet, unless you post a picture of yourself.

I can be rude towards Christians on the Internet without really thinking about it because you can wind yourself up more easily over wanting to get your views across, however I work with someone whose a Christian and we get on very well and I wouldn't dream of saying to her face half the things I say on here because I see her as a person rather than a viewpoint. It probably helps that she's not aggressive or rude towards none-Christiand in turn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    I wouldn't dream of saying to her face half the things I say on here because I see her as a person rather than a viewpoint..

This is such a good point - it's so hard to remember that there is a person behind the words with feelings and possibly really valid reasons for thinking as they do. It's too easy to just see their words and forget about what emotions your own words might stir up. It's something I need to work on more.
  • Options
    BlueZane00BlueZane00 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    No, I expect it. Having worked in customer service and seeing what the general public can be like, the views from people on the internet aren't too surprising.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    The ones that annoy me are the ones who seems sensible and reasonable at first. Some of them can even string a coherent sentence together. But then, just as you think they're perfectly normal, they suddenly descend into complete moronic gibberish and wibble jibble blobble plops with perfectly insane smeedle smoldle giggle chips chops chaps and ploppy plops.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    I do, sometimes.

This has made my day. MARRY ME PETER?!
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That the calibre of people online has declined is inevitable, given the democratisation of technology from the days when only brainy techno-nerds had anything to do with computers.
  • Options
    Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go online a watch a necklacing video from Africa or a Mexican cartel torture, beheading and dissolving, see some kids with holes in their heads in Syria, see a baby flushed down the loo in CHina

Its worse elsewhere
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That the calibre of people online has declined is inevitable, given the democratisation of technology from the days when only brainy techno-nerds had anything to do with computers.

You could still encounter idiots back then (even in the BBS days), albeit a better class of idiot, at least in the sense that they could insult you with a much broader vocabulary in their arsenal, or failing that lapse into a tirade about their superior understanding of some arcane bit of tech.

They'd flame the OP for this thread title for example, On a good day perhaps with a Latin sig to leave you in no doubt they would destroy any comeback ;)
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,272
    Forum Member
    I know I do. While I accept that the showbiz forum on here is a bit of a cesspit, I can't believe the next to non-existent grip on reality many of the posters in there seem to have and how awful they can be about random strangers and towards each other.

It's not just there though. Facebook, Twitter, and just about every site seems littered with idiots these days who will lash out and make the most awful assumptions about someone they don't even know, posting it openly so the potential baying mob can indulge in yet another pile on.

This is by no means a flounce post as I'm not going anywhere, I just wanted to get it off my chest. The internet has always had a nasty side but it seems to be getting more out-in-the-open and much worse too.

No. There are plenty of normal people too.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Too stupid to be on the internet? Here's one.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/35274

Doesn't matter what you think of cyclists, this bloke is just so wrong on every point. He really shouldn't go around making the world aware of his stupidity.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes but that's life I suppose, if you really want to witness how far some folk are disconnected from reality then post in the soaps or political forums.