Scary Public Information Films

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Was drowning in a pit full of cow shit such a common occurrence in the '70's that it warranted a PIF?

The most common injury I suffer is being hit in the plums by a low flying barbie doll, wielded by a boisterous 3 year old - they don't warn you about that sort of stuff though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Then comes the punchline. The voiceover says, "And to think,....he'd only just come out of hospital, and was on his way back home".

"She might have well had set a man-trap" ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one about the dangers of fireworks freaks me out! It's got a field of kids all with their backs to the camera, and at the end one turns round with I think is black sunglasses on or something! spooky!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by JOHN HASTINGS
    1) That was the PIF which ended with "I'll be back (back back back etc)" - the voice I'm sure was that of Ian Holm, though I stand corrected otherwise

2) That was set to the tune of "Green Door", and by a comical irony was on frequently around about the time Shakin Stevens was at Number 1 with said tune.

Anyone remember a PIF which ended with the line "What a pity it had to happen in the first place"?

The one which ended with the line above was the one which featured a family sitting down to dinner but then had to deal with a burst pipe!It's the very last pif on the charley says dvd and if you watch it just keep your eye on the little girl at the end of the film!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Is it just me or did anyone else used to have the fire brigade come round to their primary school near bonfire night.

Greater Manchester Fire Brigade used to come and show a slide show of burnt bodies in an attempt to teach the dangers of fireworks and bonfires. It used to scare the living sh1t out of me as a kid. I used to close my eyes through most of it. Still, it wasn't as frightening as their mascot Welephant!

It's only in hindsight that I can find it funny. All I can imagine now is Keith Lard standing at the front drawing pictures of dogs! LOL :D

Remember: Fire Kills in minutes, smoke kills in seconds!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    yeah the elephant used to come round when i was in first school but it didn't frighten me at all i played with matches loads when i was young and i still love playing with matches.

we also used to get the guys from british rail coming around telling you not to play on the tracks which i had no desire to do anyway.
  • RodneyRodney Posts: 4,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Redcoat
    Also there was another one a few years later of where a man who carries out a terrorist attack was just like his father years ago - "Cats in the cradle" was played in the background.

Remember this one every time I hear "Cats in the Cradle". Still can't listen to the song without thinking of kneecappings.

Also can't listen to Van Morrison's "Days Like These" without thinking of the line ... "I wish it could be like this all the time"

My God, I've been emotionally scarred for life!!
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firemen still go to primary schools today. It was so annoying, the same film every single year about a human man and his 2 human children with their pet puppets that were a cat and a dog. It was all happy, happy with "put your sparklers into a large biscuit tin and carry it round so you look abnormal when you're at your local display!"and then it ended with the dog getting too close to the fireworks and blowing up!
    What's that elephant ment to be?

Oh and in year 6, this man from Arriva came round telling us not to vandilise buses and stuff. He was dead fat and ugly, which made it quite scary when he said "If you run out infront of a bus, the driver will go faster and not stop, so you get run over and dragged along for the rest of the journey so you may die!" I wasn't really listening as I was distracted by his mussie!
  • astra19Eastra19E Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember one about kids going in a building site and dying. welcome to Happyville :rolleyes: .

Or the one when the guy and his obnoxious little brother and his friends went to a canal and fell off a bridge. It was just a dream. WOW. Welcome to Pointlessville - Population: Boredom
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    remember the AIDS ads in the 80's with the falling tombstones?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by gottago

What's that elephant ment to be?

the elephant is able to suck up water with its trunk and expel the water to extinguish fires. it exploits the similarity of an elephants trunk to fireman's hose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    1) That was the PIF which ended with "I'll be back (back back back etc)" - the voice I'm sure was that of Ian Holm, though I stand corrected otherwise
    Hi, all. I'm a big fan of public information films, and the above is indeed one of the scare-factor classics of the 70's. However, John Hastings, the voice of the cloaked figure (The Spirit Of Dark And Lonely Water) isn't Iam Holm, it's the late great Donald Pleasance.

Changing the subject, does anyone out there recall another 70's PIF about keeping an eye on your children? The scenario is as follows : a little girl in dugarees is standing outside a window, wanting to play, but her mum's too interested in her sewing machine. She calls out "won't be a minute", and her daughter walks out of the garden gate and sits on the pavement. A car passes the girl at speed, and just after this, she stands up and waves to a black girl who's with her mother on the opposite side. In her excitement, she begins running, but doesn't realise there's another car coming towards her, and she finally runs out in front of it. There's a screech of brakes and a sickening thud, and it's at this point that her mother shouts out "finished", and it's only then that she shows concern about her little girl.

All the time the action is happening, a counter at the bottom of the screen is counting down from "01:00", and the moment that the long car screech ends, and you hear the thud, it's reached "00:00". The voiceover's second sentence says it all : "this minute, the one you see being eaten up, is the last minute of this little girl's life".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I remember the one about kids playing on railway lines and the inherant dangers - scared the living daylights out of me, sheer horror - but I must admit, I've never played on a railway line so I suppose it worked , I think it was about the same time as the electricty sub station one and just as horrific.

my bf was talking about something like this a few months ago, is it the one, where the kids go and play in a tunnel, you see them go in, and then a train enters from the other side.... you can imagine how it ends

and another (might be the same) a lad gets his foot stuck when a track point shuts on him..

(are these on the charlie says, or can they be found on the internet)

he`s not sure if they where show on tv, or was a film shown in school, but he`s NEVER forgot them, it came about when they showed a train "ad" at something like 2am! where lads are spraying trains one has earphones on so doesn`t hear his mate shouting or the train.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I can't be certain, TenerC, and I have to admit I've never seen it myself, but your bf possibly recalls a railway safety film called "Robbie", which was only shown in schools. Mention the title, and see if it rings any bells.
  • ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Hey, you'
    'Who, me ?'
    'Yes, you. Is that your long distance ceremonial eclair administration unit ?'
    'Yes. Why ?'
    'Don't you know that the serving of cream fancies over distances of greater than a furlong can lead to loss of respect from boxing promoter ?. So stop it.'

That was a British Information Board film sponsored by Max Factor.

Sorry, I've been watching my old Reeves & Mortimer tapes again...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the number of children bedwetting increased the nights these PIFs were shown.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who remembers the ones with the clouds? Shown around 0500 in the morning; featuring a boy getting lost in the shops, if I recall correctly.

Alex
  • seventhwaveseventhwave Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember them. They used to come on the Nickelodeon channel. The only one I can think of besides the shops one was another in which the kid's dad didn't show up to collect him from school and he was about to go off with a stranger but the cloud stopped him.

Other PSAs I remember from when I was a kid (late '80s - early '90s):

-Series of animated horrors showing animals mutating in various terrifying ways and vast areas devastated by flooding as a result of global warming. I literally refused to go in any room where the TV was playing for at least a month, just in case these came on.

-Group of children playing 'Blind Man's Bluff' outside a school, the unfortunate child wearing the blindfold wanders out into the road and is hit by a bus. (So where the hell were the teachers?)

-Fire safety one where you see a moth being burnt up in a flame and then it says you shouldn't let young children hold candles.

Can't think of others right now ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A PIF from years and years ago that scared me was an anti-smoking ad. It showed how the human race would evolve if we kept smoking. We would be bald, have long, thin fingers to hold cigerattes, and extra eyelids to keep the smoke away. The actor was really scary, looked like the creature from Salem's Lot. Scared the life out of me. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I can't be certain, TenerC, and I have to admit I've never seen it myself, but your bf possibly recalls a railway safety film called "Robbie", which was only shown in schools. Mention the title, and see if it rings any bells.

i mentioned it, and after the cogs went for about 10 min he said "yea think thats the one with the foot"..

and it was shown in PRIMARY school, just before the summer holidays to scare the kids so much they never left the house, and had nightmares for the next 20 years.

it made me wonder how GOOD these films where, for people to remember them years after watching them, you get safty films now that are so tame you forget them after 2 hours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I may be wrong but the scene where someone is running along a train track when the track slides accross trapping thier foot as a train comes round the corner is from an old Dr Who episode, which I have to say scared me more than any PIF
  • PlanetPlanet Posts: 1,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TenerC wrote:
    it made me wonder how GOOD these films where, for people to remember them years after watching them, you get safty films now that are so tame you forget them after 2 hours.
    Exactly - the PIF's nowadays are certainly not as good, except possibly that smoking one with the stuff coming out.

The reason why PIF's aren't as good anymore is probably to do with political correctness.
  • Twinkle ToesTwinkle Toes Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one that scared me the most is the one with a woman and she's driving her teenage kids to school. Her daughter is sitting in the front and son son in the back. Their driving along at an average speed when a car pulls out in front of them. The mother slams on the breaks but its too late and she hits the other car. Her son who is sitting behind her isn't wearing a seatbelt and he smashes into her seat, she flies forward and smashes her head on the windscreen and we see blood splattering everywhere. She's obviousley dead and the daughter starts screaming.

After seeing that advert I ALWAYS make sure I wear a seatbelt when Im in the back of someones car.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was terrified of that one. Terrified.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    The "Julie Knew Her Killer" advert is weird, "It was her son sitting in the backseat, after he killed her he just sat back down." yeah, with his nose smashed across his face.

I also like the ad with the school boy you know the one where it goes "Theres Debbie, she's meant to be going out with me. Debbie!" Then he runs into the road where this car just drives right through him. "That's the second time thats happened this week....hurt much more the first time."

Then there are those adverts for Cancer or Heart Disease or something which shows you these people talking to a loved one or being with a love done who then vanishes.

However I must say those Anti-smoking ads are just rubbish. Watching those people with the fat dripping out of their **** and when they are squeezing it out of an artery, what rubbish. Then you have the so called 'Victims of Smoking' ads like that one with matey "I had throat cancer and the doctors removed my voicebox, when they did this they found I have lung cancer as well. Now my only goal is that when my daughter comes over for holiday in December, I will be alive for that." Then it comes up "Matey died 10 days after this filming, he never did see his daughter." However the worst of them is the one which opens on the tank of air, and then the camera follows that tube around, down that hallway with the horrible carpet. All the time you can hear what sounds like Darth Vader in the background. Finally the camera follows this tube to a room with some women, gasping and snorting away into a mask. The camera sits on her for a moment before the picture changes to the message, "Enough Said." I can't be the only person who shouts, "No that's not enough! What's wrong with her?"