Has Kate Oates lost the Emmerdale plot?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
Forum Member
These past few months, pretty much the entire 2014 season, so far, have seen a definite decline in story production/story lining quality on Emmerdale. The good news is that the core writing team is still delivering, but something somewhere has gone wrong with the overall feel and structure of current episodes and storylines.

It is such a shame. when Kate Oates took over at the beginning of last year, she and the then superb former Doctors story chief, Ella Kelly, delivered an amazing ten months of gritty storylines, culminating with Cameron's demise.

But by recruiting the 'Collinson-ite' former Corrie story chief, Mark Bickerton, in November last year, she indicated that Edale may be about to take a less gritty, more 'pantomime' route. Indeed it has.

The episode almost entirely given over to the pointless pap of Kerry and Jimmy holed up in the office, and the adjacent dire 'salon' storyline was a perfect sign that it may be time for a major production shake-up, with the removal of Bickerton and, if she cannot get her act together then, yes, Kate Oates too.

I would favour bringing someone like talented former Corrie and Hollyoaks Line Producer, Gareth Phillips in, as I feel that he would be similar to the late Gavin Blyth, really concentrating on the harder hitting, character rich story lining and issue focusing that Emmerdale can do so well, with the right attitude to begin with.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    I feel like the light "pantomime" storyline's with Kerry, Dan and Bernice are needed to run along side Donna & April's horrible depressing storyline.... I think I could just about hack it if it was just Donna, but April is going to be left without her mummy, and it makes me think of my own little boy being left without me (I'm the same age as Donna) so it's going to have me in bits!

I really hate the HIV storyline though, that seems really silly and OTT with Val sleeping with as many men as possible (doesn't seem to matter who they are!) and Eric watching on with them puppy dog eyes - arghhh! just get them back together!
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    She started with so much promise and praise.I dont understand how she seemingly lost her mojo so quickly.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its showing in the ratings as well. Last night only 5.74 (31%) and 5.3m (24%) tuned in last night, the second rate and share particularly low.
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    It's a strange one, because the characters remain incredibly enjoyable, the acting remains absolutely top notch, the episodes are very watchable, certain stories are quite interesting. But it has totally lost all of its direction and its tone.

The Cameron climax was almost too amazing for words, so it was always going to be difficult. It just feels as though we have a lot of middling stories at the moment - romance and money success and illness and paternity tests. Its watchable, but it needs a dark edge. It needs a new villain.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These past few months, pretty much the entire 2014 season, so far, have seen a definite decline in story production/story lining quality on Emmerdale. The good news is that the core writing team is still delivering, but something somewhere has gone wrong with the overall feel and structure of current episodes and storylines.

It is such a shame. when Kate Oates took over at the beginning of last year, she and the then superb former Doctors story chief, Ella Kelly, delivered an amazing ten months of gritty storylines, culminating with Cameron's demise.

But by recruiting the 'Collinson-ite' former Corrie story chief, Mark Bickerton, in November last year, she indicated that Edale may be about to take a less gritty, more 'pantomime' route. Indeed it has.

The episode almost entirely given over to the pointless pap of Kerry and Jimmy holed up in the office, and the adjacent dire 'salon' storyline was a perfect sign that it may be time for a major production shake-up, with the removal of Bickerton and, if she cannot get her act together then, yes, Kate Oates too.

I would favour bringing someone like talented former Corrie and Hollyoaks Line Producer, Gareth Phillips in, as I feel that he would be similar to the late Gavin Blyth, really concentrating on the harder hitting, character rich story lining and issue focusing that Emmerdale can do so well, with the right attitude to begin with.

A very well thought out post, blackcountryboy, which I entirely agree with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    Or maybe four...

Claire King
    Kim Tate

Yes, bringing back the original a and still THE best ED superbitch would be a big and eye catching statement. I am sure that Claire could be persuaded to reprise her role, even if only for a punchy, shorter two or three month story, to help with getting the show back on track.

A Charity/Kim face off would be great.
  • LiamBerryTea ~LiamBerryTea ~ Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly? I feel like the pantomime stuff are the only good things going for it currently
    The drama feels far too fake, staged and generally 'miserable'
    People say Eastenders is miserable but I don't think it is. Not in the same way
    Eastenders has a dramatic feel to it but you feel all the characters generally want to keep fighting and have a goal in mind
    Emmerdale, you litterally feel like each character couldn't care less about life or anyone else in it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    Honestly? I feel like the pantomime stuff are the only good things going for it currently
    The drama feels far too fake, staged and generally 'miserable'
    People say Eastenders is miserable but I don't think it is. Not in the same way
    Eastenders has a dramatic feel to it but you feel all the characters generally want to keep fighting and have a goal in mind
    Emmerdale, you litterally feel like each character couldn't care less about life or anyone else in it

Modern soaps need gritty characters and gritty, issue rich story lining.

If you wish to watch a sitcom, then try UK GOLD.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,189
    Forum Member
    I've given up the ghost with Emmerdale.... I sometimes have to endure it when at my partner's house and it's not a pleasurable experience let me tell you... . What's the point bringing Donna back - a very poor character and actress just to kill her off?? As for the other stuff.... Blimey - the HIV storyline is like the disease is being laughed at - Val Pollard is a hideous woman and the actress would be best suited to a very bad comedy!!! It seems to focus on the same characters day in day out....

Whereas in Eastenders you will see a character and think oh yeah forgot about this story as they rest it for a couple weeks or whatever so you have genuine interest when it comes back... Emmerdale gets a story and rams it down your throat 24/7... Time for the lady at the top to give up the ghost I think and let someone who knows a thing or two take charge.....
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No she hasn't
  • Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bartons, yes, but I think the rest is pretty good, especially now that Val seems to be facing up to her predicament and approaching her life positively rather than trying to get anyone into bed.
  • LiamBerryTea ~LiamBerryTea ~ Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Modern soaps need gritty characters and gritty, issue rich story lining.

If you wish to watch a sitcom, then try UK GOLD.:D

I'm all for gritty!!
    I can't get enough of gritty feel stories on EE etc. Amazing stuff
    What I'm not for is characters like Jai and Declan and Ali Spencer walking around like they couldn't give a stuff about their lives
    Miserable, depressing characters. And that goes for ... Most, characters on Emmerdale
    There's a huge difference between gritty drama and miserable depressing people
    Makes me watch thinking, if you don't give a stuff about what happens, why should I? :confused:
  • avaconradavaconrad Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Cameron stuff was amazing but now she seems to have lost her way. I mean what the hell has happened to Cain and the Barton's should of been got rid of when John died but no she brings more in and totally re writes John and Moria's history I mean I can see Moria cheating on John but with his brother really.

I fully expect when Aaron returns he will be straight and everything before that forgotten about like Jackson and Ed and the self harming as well as him being on bail and skipping the country.
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Miserable? Depressing? :o Think I must be watching a different show! It almost always makes me laugh, and I find a lot of the characters warm and easy to get involved with.

Regards Declan, he used to be depressing, when he was bankrupt and desperate. Then he rose from the fire like a Phoenix as a Massive Bastard, and since then he's been striding round being evil and tossing Charity onto the bed like he was born to it. I find him hilarious. :D (In a good way).

There's a few things lacking.
    1) A big juicy gritty storyline to drive it all forwards (they should focus more on Declan's guilt). Though Donna is very moving.
    2) A bit more balance. This week we had the Great Bread Riots followed by the Wet Money Scandal. Both were played for broad comedy, and it was a bit much. The Bread Riots really made me laugh. The Wet Money made me slip into a coma. But then I can't stand the David/Alicia/Leyla stuff. We all have our preferences.
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miserable? Depressing? :o Think I must be watching a different show! It almost always makes me laugh, and I find a lot of the characters warm and easy to get involved with.

Regards Declan, he used to be depressing, when he was bankrupt and desperate. Then he rose from the fire like a Phoenix as a Massive Bastard, and since then he's been striding round being evil and tossing Charity onto the bed like he was born to it. I find him hilarious. :D (In a good way).

There's a few things lacking.
    1) A big juicy gritty storyline to drive it all forwards (they should focus more on Declan's guilt). Though Donna is very moving.
    2) A bit more balance. This week we had the Great Bread Riots followed by the Wet Money Scandal. Both were played for broad comedy, and it was a bit much. The Bread Riots really made me laugh. The Wet Money made me slip into a coma. But then I can't stand the David/Alicia/Leyla stuff. We all have our preferences.

I know what you mean I really can't warm to David and Alicia at all. Looking back I don't think I minded David and Leyla when they were together.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No she hasn't

This ^^ :cool: I haven't got the energy to battle against the hysteria either. :D
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So agree. I used to love Emmerdale now it is so dire its embarrasing to watch and I have been switching over to the One Show. The ghastly Vile who is so scary looking in HD she should only be shown on 31 October with just a merry go round of her treating Eric and Diane like s&&t and they fanny and fawn aound her. I dont want to see about her sex life at 7.00 pm either. Then we have the bloody annoying Leyla brought back just to constantly snipe and bicker with Alicia enabling David to pull stupid faces all the time. The nonsense with Donna robbing the police station when it plain as the nose on your face its going to be missed and she will get caught. Mhona being santimonous all the time, with her Egg headed fool husband. Then the dreadful Bartons with Pete being another doormat to the much younger witch Debbie who speaks to everyone like they are something on her shoe. Pointless cross dresser Chas who has not fitted back in since she returned from the Jungle. As for the dollop Kerry with her ridiculous bamboozling poor Dan into wedding her, then the BAY BAY nonsense with Ruby and Shouter. Awful awful awful
  • sarah_shortsarah_short Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no getting away from how poor it is.:(:cry:
    I'm not bothered if i miss any episodes now and i can't remember the last time i was like that with the show.
    I was complaining about Katie hardly being in it anymore:( She's one of the few characters with a sunny disposition:) but i'm actually thinking it's almost a blessing in disguise for her not being involved at the moment.
    I do think It's still a bit too early to write of Kate! But she does need to up her game in the coming months!:)
    I hope next weeks wedding episodes are the start of better times ahead.:)
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    This ^^ :cool: I haven't got the energy to battle against the hysteria either. :D

Yip, ain't nobody got time for that!
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afrais Ms Oates has lost the plot, and one viewer ME.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like watching it (loving that Victoria gets more to do now) but agree it's a bit directionless. I am rather fed up of all the explaining scenes, especially when they involve Declan, Megan and Jai.

I honestly think it was a big mistake to kill Gennie off. Debbie can't ever really recover, and I miss Gennie herself a lot. And Nikhil, especially - although it's good that Priya now gets more to do, I miss him a lot. Plus, Brenda's had way too much tragedy for one person to cope with, all at once. It's such a shame that as soon as the characters blossomed, they left. Carl is a big loss too.

I don't think soaps should kill off really good characters (and yes, I know that not everyone liked Gennie, but I really liked her). It's very short-sighted and can sometimes damage the balance of the programme.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like watching it (loving that Victoria gets more to do now) but agree it's a bit directionless. I am rather fed up of all the explaining scenes, especially when they involve Declan, Megan and Jai.

I honestly think it was a big mistake to kill Gennie off. Debbie can't ever really recover, and I miss Gennie herself a lot. And Nikhil, especially - although it's good that Priya now gets more to do, I miss him a lot. Plus, Brenda's had way too much tragedy for one person to cope with, all at once. It's such a shame that as soon as the characters blossomed, they left. Carl is a big loss too.

I don't think soaps should kill off really good characters (and yes, I know that not everyone liked Gennie, but I really liked her). It's very short-sighted and can sometimes damage the balance of the programme.

bib: Me too!:(:(
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dip in and out, but find it depressing, what with HIV, Cancer, Donna turning to crime, and the never ending boring Bartons.>:( where's the yawn smilie?
  • spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no getting away from how poor it is.:(:cry:
    I'm not bothered if i miss any episodes now and i can't remember the last time i was like that with the show.
    I was complaining about Katie hardly being in it anymore:( She's one of the few characters with a sunny disposition:) but i'm actually thinking it's almost a blessing in disguise for her not being involved at the moment.
    I do think It's still a bit too early to write of Kate! But she does need to up her game in the coming months!:)
    I hope next weeks wedding episodes are the start of better times ahead.:)

Katie is too quiet and normal and doesn't do the hilarious face twitching gurning panto stuff so not really suitable for KO's Emmerdale. You are wrong about it being too early to write off KO. 5.3 million and dire share means the fat lady is about to stand up. A crisis meeting should be held this very weekend and she should be told to stop this childish pantomime crap or she will be axed.
  • wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe four...

Claire King
    Kim Tate

Yes, bringing back the original a and still THE best ED superbitch would be a big and eye catching statement. I am sure that Claire could be persuaded to reprise her role, even if only for a punchy, shorter two or three month story, to help with getting the show back on track.

A Charity/Kim face off would be great.

Not only great....fantastic!!
    I`d love to see that.