Trivial things about movies that annoy you

Comments

• treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A person stopping another from trying to resuscitate a dead person and saying "They're gone. There's nothing you can do".

Let them keep trying if they want to. They're not going to make the person any worse. They're dead.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Characters ordering food/drinks but leaving before they are delivered or after just one bite.

News reports which give out far more information than would happen in real life.

Policeman in foreign country/state being told "you have no jurisdiction here". Of course they don't, you don't have to spell it out for the audience.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Car crashes and explosions.

If it's the good guy the car will just crash and the good guy will crawl out of the wreakage.

If it's a bad guy the car will blow up instantly even if it's driven off a cliff and not hit the ground yet.

And as "Mythbusters" proved, it's dam near impossible to get a car to explode, by just driving off a cliff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I have to ask, since a fair few of these come from MythBusters, if you hadn't seen MythBusters would you notice and would you give a crap? Some of those, like the cars not exploding after rolling over a cliff, you probably would, but the silencer one, probably not...
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    When someone is under surveillance, the person doing the snooping makes themselves invisible by leaning against a lamp post opposite their home/workplace/restaurant etc and reading a newspaper. Doesn't matter what time of day it is or what the weather is like, someone standing outside your house reading a paper for 6 hour is perfectly innocent.
    To make it easier for the snooper, the person being followed will leave their blinds open and insist on a table window in any restaurant.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Characters having conversations in noisy nightclubs or whilst driving at high speed on motorbikes/convertible cars, without having to raise their voices.

After sex scenes with the lovers in bed, or getting out of bed, with their underwear on.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Cars that seem to need constant input from the steering wheel to keep them going in a straight line.
    I like that one too.

You see it in older films quite a bit. It compliments the obvious back-projection behind the car.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stricken helicopters which invariably fly behind a hill before exploding.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the protagonist is pursing a love interest who just so happens to have a partner but the partner is always a douche. It's a terrible trope in order to not make the protagonist look like an even bigger douche for pursing the person in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Douche"? Really?
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Characters having conversations in noisy nightclubs or whilst driving at high speed on motorbikes/convertible cars, without having to raise their voices.

After sex scenes with the lovers in bed, or getting out of bed, with their underwear on.

True Lies was the worst offender for this - Arnie could be heard over the sound of a Harrier's engine. Saw one close up at an airshow and my ears were ringing for days afterwards - they are LOUD.

And they have L shaped sheets to preserve the woman's modesty while the bloke is bare chested. In fact they usually seem desperate not to reveal themselves to the person they've been bonking only a few minutes earlier.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A group of bad guys who decide to fight the lone good guy one at a time instead of taking him on all at the same time.

Bad guy has cornered the good guy by pointing a gun at him. Instead of just shooting him there and then he instead decides to have a long blown conversation with the good guy by taunting him and saying how he has won and the good guy is now a loser. This is of course so other people have time to come and rescue the good guy.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    When people are driving to get somewhere quickly then stop a distance away and run to the building. Why not drive right up to it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A group of bad guys who decide to fight the lone good guy one at a time instead of taking him on all at the same time.

Bad guy has cornered the good guy by pointing a gun at him. Instead of just shooting him there and then he instead decides to have a long blown conversation with the good guy by taunting him and saying how he has won and the good guy is now a loser. This is of course so other people have time to come and rescue the good guy.

... and will also give a full confession of their previous crimes, who they killed and how they got away with it :)
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    "Douche"? Really?

Yes?
    It's no different than saying "knob" or "bellend". Different words always sound odd from different cultural perspectives...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As in every just about martial arts movie ever made.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Yes?
    It's no different than saying "knob" or "bellend". Different words always sound odd from different cultural perspectives...

Ah, the language of Shakespeare.:)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Bad guys who have a greatly heightened tolerance of pain and injury. They can get beaten half to death, thrown from moving cars, slammed into concrete walls and still continue fighting the good guy.
    and also just fight scenes that just go on and on with both getting full on punches to the face yet they keep going

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0he5k6shmw
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wilhelm scream.

Now I know about it, every time I hear it I know that it's not the actor screaming and is therefore fake.

It's not even a good scream.
  • kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when people wake up in hospital and proceed to rip out all the iv's and stuff.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    The Wilhelm scream.

Now I know about it, every time I hear it I know that it's not the actor screaming and is therefore fake.

It's not even a good scream.

It's now used exclusively as an in joke, like the Stan Lee cameo in Marvel movies.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When two people who to the audience are supposedly enemies are secretly in cahoots and share scenes when they are alone which keep up the pretense just for the audience. See Die Hard 2, Now you see me and The Last Stand for examples of this.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    and also just fight scenes that just go on and on with both getting full on punches to the face yet they keep going

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0he5k6shmw

I though that would be the fight scene from They Live
  • bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sinbad8982 wrote: »
    Die Hard 2.

Which scene?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    It's now used exclusively as an in joke, like the Stan Lee cameo in Marvel movies.

That is what I find irritating about it.

It's fine in a light hearted movie but I've heard it twice in two days, once in ROTJ and once today during the big battle scene in LOTR Return of the King.