Options

Can you limit the amount of spiders coming into your house?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I keep reading of "killer" spiders in the press "attacking" people in the UK, but what's the reality? Sensation OTT media reporting? The ones that concern me were from a report this morning that some aggressive type of spider was terrorizing a family - these actually run towards people as oppose to scuttling away from you. Can a pest control company actually get rid of them in this familys instance? And in general what's the best way to deter them, will putting conkers at the front of property help or is this an old wives tale?

Comments

• Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's sensationalist crap about a natural event that happens this time of the year every year - or it does in the UK and much of northern Europe.

http://www.uksafari.com/fear.htm - link contains images of spiders.

There may be more of them and perhaps they are bigger this year than some years because it was a mild winter last year so some adults might have overwintered and some of this years spiders may have hatched earlier and have had longer to grow.

But they only run 'aggressively' :D towards us by accident because they either can't see us or don't know what we are and they if they do figure out we're a threat, they will run away. I have been 'chased' by one - but in fact, as soon as I walked towards it (it was in a corridor outside my guests' bedrooms and I wanted to catch it before it went under one of their doors) it ran away.

They are looking for mates and once mated, the male often dies, its raison d'être accomplished. They tend to be visible at night because they see better in low light - plus natural predators like birds aren't hunting - so they run around when the light is less bright. They're not dangerous at all - few varieties have the strength to bite a human and those that do tend to be in dark places like caves and sheds - but if you have an instinctive fear of spiders - and I do - they are scary. They tend to disappear with the first frosts or at the end of the mating season, whichever comes first. During the day they are often tucked into folds of curtains... you can imagine how I know this.

Deterring them? Well, you can reduce the numbers by hermetically sealing all doors and windows but they are likely to already be in the house. The best way of avoiding them is to have completely uncluttered rooms and vacuum regularly - including folds of curtains. :D Conkers and strips of lavender oil on the floor... not proven to work but these things are often of benefit psychologically and if putting conkers in front of the door makes someone feel better, do it (while accepting the health and safety implications!)

And don't leave bedding trailing across the floor and on to the bed... ;-)

Edited to add:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ten-ways-to-ward-off-spiders-this-autumn-9743843.html ...again, there are spider pics!

In fact, the article has one good tip: keep the ground outside your house completely clear of plants and any form of cover - it will look bleak and unloved but spiders need cover to protect them from predators and if there's no cover they are less likely to be lurking outside the house, ready to come in. I have flower beds all around my house so I have no hope...
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    You can't stop them, People tell you they have ways but it is pretty much they just don't see them.

Remember this 'Harmless spider in family house' is not as sensationalist as 'Giant spider chases family from home' The press make everything sound more than it is
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    It's sensationalist crap about a natural event that happens this time of the year every year - or it does in the UK and much of northern Europe.

http://www.uksafari.com/fear.htm - link contains images of spiders.

There may be more of them and perhaps they are bigger this year than some years because it was a mild winter last year so some adults might have overwintered and some of this years spiders may have hatched earlier and have had longer to grow.

But they only run 'aggressively' :D towards us by accident because they either can't see us or don't know what we are and they if they do figure out we're a threat, they will run away. I have been 'chased' by one - but in fact, as soon as I walked towards it (it was in a corridor outside my guests' bedrooms and I wanted to catch it before it went under one of their doors) it ran away.

They are looking for mates and once mated, the male often dies, its raison d'être accomplished. They tend to be visible at night because they see better in low light - plus natural predators like birds aren't hunting - so they run around when the light is less bright. They're not dangerous at all - few varieties have the strength to bite a human and those that do tend to be in dark places like caves and sheds - but if you have an instinctive fear of spiders - and I do - they are scary. They tend to disappear with the first frosts or at the end of the mating season, whichever comes first. During the day they are often tucked into folds of curtains... you can imagine how I know this.

Deterring them? Well, you can reduce the numbers by hermetically sealing all doors and windows but they are likely to already be in the house. The best way of avoiding them is to have completely uncluttered rooms and vacuum regularly - including folds of curtains. :D Conkers and strips of lavender oil on the floor... not proven to work but these things are often of benefit psychologically and if putting conkers in front of the door makes someone feel better, do it (while accepting the health and safety implications!)

And don't leave bedding trailing across the floor and on to the bed... ;-)

Good reply! I've never believed press reports of people being "chased" by spiders - at least not intentionally - but how do you explain the following article?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2763259/Family-living-fear-invasion-aggressive-monster-spiders-attack-venomous-bite.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good reply! I've never believed press reports of people being "chased" by spiders - at least not intentionally - but how do you explain the following article?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2763259/Family-living-fear-invasion-aggressive-monster-spiders-attack-venomous-bite.html

In that article not the use of the words 'Could' 'Might' 'Have been known too' It is all worst case scenario

It is like saying killer peanuts are on the rampage, You 'Could' choke on one. You 'Could' have an allergic reaction etc....Yes you could but the chances are tiny

The article says people bitten get nauseas and feel ill....Most likely because they get so freaked out they make themselves ill with it
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D I don't have to explain it - it's the Daily Fail / Wail / Heil... it can safely be dismissed as a valid source of information.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    :D:D:D I don't have to explain it - it's the Daily Fail / Wail / Heil... it can safely be dismissed as a valid source of information.

The family say they have killed THIRTY spiders recently - that ain't right surely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If conkers do put spiders off I wonder how?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If conkers do put spiders off I wonder how?

The legend is that once they fall off the tree they are in theory 'dying' and the scent they give off as they deteriorate is off putting to spiders

True or not? No idea
  • Options
    RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    In that article not the use of the words 'Could' 'Might' 'Have been known too' It is all worst case scenario

It is like saying killer peanuts are on the rampage, You 'Could' choke on one. You 'Could' have an allergic reaction etc....Yes you could but the chances are tiny

The article says people bitten get nauseas and feel ill....Most likely because they get so freaked out they make themselves ill with it

I've been bitten by a spider - it's just like being stabbed by two pins. Bit sore but unless you have an allergic reaction, it's harmless.
    The legend is that once they fall off the tree they are in theory 'dying' and the scent they give off as they deteriorate is off putting to spiders

True or not? No idea

I once stuck a conker in every corner of my bedroom to see if it would work, and admittedly didn't find one in my room that year, however a friend of mine has a couple of pet tarantulas and out of curiosity, introduced them to conkers. The spiders weren't remotely interested or bothered by them.

I'm told you can get plug in devices that keeps them away. They emit a frequency or some sort of noise undetectable to human ears that the spiders don't like. Apparently not advisable if you have other pets as they can pick up on the sound. Again, no idea of the effectiveness.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Have a one in, one out policy like a nightclub.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You could ask them to remove their shoes....I bet they would get sick of putting all those shoes on and off each time
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It says the spiders have five inch long hairy legs.
    Yeah, well mine are 32".
    Bring it on!

Strangely, the deadly, venomous spider (that they have managed to get in the jar) doesn't have five inch legs.
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a one in, one out policy like a nightclub.

:D:D haha, brilliant. I am going to do this.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    How would they cope in Australia? Some people!
  • Options
    Forum Member

They would be constantly in fear, Despite the statistics
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is a good question.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It also says the bites go 'manky' because the wounds aren't cared for and get infected, and not as a result of any venom. I once had a gnat bite that ended up leaving a big crate because I kept scratching and picking at it. Maybe I should have got the Mail on the case to warn everyone about monster gnats attacking people? :D
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Build a moat around your home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rednell wrote: »
    I've been bitten by a spider - it's just like being stabbed by two pins. Bit sore but unless you have an allergic reaction, it's harmless.

I once stuck a conker in every corner of my bedroom to see if it would work, and admittedly didn't find one in my room that year, however a friend of mine has a couple of pet tarantulas and out of curiosity, introduced them to conkers. The spiders weren't remotely interested or bothered by them.

I'm told you can get plug in devices that keeps them away. They emit a frequency or some sort of noise undetectable to human ears that the spiders don't like. Apparently not advisable if you have other pets as they can pick up on the sound. Again, no idea of the effectiveness.

I will check out this device
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Devices....
    Somebody I worked with told me that their neighbour discovered - by accident - that the very cheap plug in devices to deter mice are totally useless (for mice) but they did notice that the ants scarpered and did not come back.

I tried one....and I think that the claim is probably correct. And other insects too. I can also confirm that they do not deter mice.

Try B&Q. We are talking about the very cheap ones about the size of a mains plug. Maybe 3 for £10? Something like that.
  • Options
    BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know know you limit it (don't have lights on in rooms with open windows at night?) My cat tends to deal with any spider's it spots in my house.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

True or not? No idea
    Nice theory, but fallen conkers aren't dying in any way whatsoever.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brigon wrote: »
    My cat tends to deal with any spider's it spots in my house.
    Yep, get a cat.
    Also useful for snakes.
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far this week, every evening, there has been a spider on the stairs, on it's way up to the bathroom and even making it's way into the bathtub. I just scream, husband or daughter has to deal with them, I'm too petrified. :o
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    Build a moat around your home.

What a silly answer, this will never work - what about all the water spiders?

I am going to adopt Jim_Macintosh's nightclub-style policy - except I can't decide on wristbands or investing in an ultra-violet stamp system