Options

Foreign TV Formats that could work in the UK

XIVXIV Posts: 21,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On British TV we have seen TV formats that have either original and are later shown in localized version (Pop Idol and SCD) or we have formast that have been tried and tested in other countries and are either hits (Dragons Den, The Apprentice etc) or flops (The Farm, Unanimious)

What other foreign formats do you think would work in the UK? he only one I can think of is The Amazing Race.

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tutti Frutti on RTL from the old analogue days.They used to say not even the producer knew the rules,it was a quiz show always with young couples as contestants and the couples always ended up starkers regardless of how well they answered the questions. Happy days.....
  • Options
    natsuki*headnatsuki*head Posts: 3,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think long running telenovelas like they do in Korea, they run for 6 or so months so you can fit in a lot more story than the usual 6 part drama but they don't go on for years like soaps. Actually they should just show Korean serials like Full House and Jewel in the Palace here, many other parts of the world are crazy for these serials.
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote:
    On British TV we have seen TV formats that have either original and are later shown in localized version (Pop Idol and SCD) or we have formast that have been tried and tested in other countries and are either hits (Dragons Den, The Apprentice etc) or flops (The Farm, Unanimious)

What other foreign formats do you think would work in the UK? he only one I can think of is The Amazing Race.
    The Amazing Race would be fantastic over here. I bet BBC or ITV could afford it, but it would be a massive risk if no-one watched.

The international licences have only recently been put up by CBS, and there is one available for the UK. The European and Asian versions are being made/shown now.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star Academy - yes we've had Fame Academy but it's not quite the same. The second series in fact was so far removed from it it might as well have just been Pop Idol.

Daily highlights shows, judges giving more assessment marking each contestant out of 20, an amazing 2 and a half hour Friday night spectacular with half a dozen star guests who perform with them. It would so do well for the BBC if only they made the effort.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Amazing Race was slightly reworked for a UK audience in the form of 'The Race' on ITV2 around 4 years ago. Hosted by Keith Duffy.

A good format that could work over here is France 3/Adventure Line's Le Cart Aux Tresor (The Treasure Map) Basically it's where Treasure Hunt is format wise these days. The contestants are in the helicopters (the production uses 5 of em) and even though my French is ropey, I thought the format was great and could just about work out what was going on - and the French scenery from the gyroscope cameras mounted on the 'copters was stunning.

See what I mean on Sky 805 (TV5Monde) Wednesdays 5.25pm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what about telenovelas??

they seem to work very well all over the world.....
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craigyboi wrote:
    what about telenovelas??

they seem to work very well all over the world.....
    The BBC are doing one next year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    centrino04 wrote:
    The BBC are doing one next year.

oooh goodie!

hope its big..
  • Options
    Radio InformerRadio Informer Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wasn't sticky moments /sticky moments on tour with julian clairy a kinda european type style show