Worried About My 19-yo Cat

I've been very worried about my 19 year old cat lately. Now and then she keeps losing her balance on her back legs and collapses on to the floor. And a few times she has drank water out of glasses and has peed on our mat a few times :o.

Please, if anybody can give me any advice on what to do I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    All age related I imagine, best too take her/him too the vet for a good check up and see if it is in any pain at all, if not then you should be okay.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All age related I imagine, best too take her/him too the vet for a good check up and see if it is in any pain at all, if not then you should be okay.

I don't think she is in pain. Most of the time she's running about meowing for her tea, and purring constantly, but occasionally she has a funny turn.
  • shardlakeshardlake Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Have you taken her to the vets? Is she eating ok, has she lost weight, she sounds like she's got a urinary infection, take her to the vets asap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my cats drinks out of glasses, so we bought her her own.

I think she is starting to show age.

Can you see any similarities to an old man? Sort of doddering occasionally.

Maybe, if you had a litter tray a bit closer to hand for her say near the mat, she will pop in there for a tiddle, saving the mat.
  • ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    I'd also suggest a visit to the vet. At 19 she's a grand age, and is now possibly finding balance at times hard. She may have a touch of cistitus (yes, cat's can get that too) which can be treated, but it's really worth getting her checked over, just to be on the safe side.
    If it's possible, can you get her the raised bowls, so they're not on the floor, thus easing the pressure on her back legs. I had to do that with one of my cats as he got older, and it did help him out bless him.

I do hope she's ok LetLoose, keep us posted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shardlake wrote: »
    Have you taken her to the vets? Is she eating ok, has she lost weight, she sounds like she's got a urinary infection, take her to the vets asap.

She seems to be eating fine. She won't eat during the day but the next morning it's all gone and yes she has lost a lot of weight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd also suggest a visit to the vet. At 19 she's a grand age, and is now possibly finding balance at times hard. She may have a touch of cistitus (yes, cat's can get that too) which can be treated, but it's really worth getting her checked over, just to be on the safe side.
    If it's possible, can you get her the raised bowls, so they're not on the floor, thus easing the pressure on her back legs. I had to do that with one of my cats as he got older, and it did help him out bless him.

I do hope she's ok LetLoose, keep us posted.

I'll have to buy these raised bowls. Where can I purchase them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my cats drinks out of glasses, so we bought her her own.

I think she is starting to show age.

Can you see any similarities to an old man? Sort of doddering occasionally.

Maybe, if you had a litter tray a bit closer to hand for her say near the mat, she will pop in there for a tiddle, saving the mat.

She does use her litter tray all the time. Just occasionally she'll do it on the mat.
  • ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    LetLoose wrote: »

Most pet stores should sell them, but you may have to look in the doggy section to find them. Or try ebay or such like. If you have a garden center that has a pet section in it, then have a look there too.

Bless her, she's got a good mum looking out for her. (hugs)
  • denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    19! wow thats a great age for a cat, i remember my next door neighbour saying their cat lived to 22 but i really diddnt believe them!

My cat at the moment is 14, and i really do hope she lives on to 19! i love her to bits. Im sure your cat is fine, just take her to the vets for a checkup.
    Forum Member
    It sounds like her kidneys aren't as good as they were a change in diet may be needed, there's lots of choice but the vets best to advise you, chicken breasts good, they'll probably suggest k/d diet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your help. Looks like me and Kitty will be busy tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As a temporary measure you can pop a book or a box underneath.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a temporary measure you can pop a book or a box underneath.

Yes, I think I'll give that a try first. Known her though she'll push her food bowl off the book :).
    Forum Member
    Is puss cat managing with the raised bowls LL, or has she managed to knock them off?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ahhh it's the worst thing watching an ageing pet suffering and feeling useless being able to do anything to help. A vet's appointment is advisable and as others have said, anything which makes them comfortable

Let us know how you get on xx
  • tabitha2tabitha2 Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Thinking of you too. I thought we were losing our cat last year - he has kidney failure and showed some of the symptoms you describe. However, our great vet has found the right medication, and he's as fit as anything now (I thought he was old, but he's only 15!). The bills are expensive, but he's worth every penny (and more). They can do wonders now. Fingers and toes crossed for you both.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm afraid we had to have Lady put to sleep today. Thanks for all your advice.
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a shame :(

My last 2 cats lived until their late teens and went within weeks of each other. I'm sure they'll all be playing together in a nice cat friendly place now.
  • B3atenB3aten Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear about Lady, LetLoose.

We lost our cat Jake earlier this year at 13 suddenly also. I can feel for you and have an idea of how you must be feeling.

We left it a couple of months and got a new couple of kittens. They will never replace him, but at least we have the thunder of paws up the stairs and two boys to share our laps.

Best wishes,

Richard
  • snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,083
    Forum Member
    Thinking of you xxxx
  • cressida100cressida100 Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid we had to have Lady put to sleep today. Thanks for all your advice.

So sorry to hear that :( I just started reading this thread because my cat is also 19 and had the leg problem. The vet said it was old age and normal. Thinking of you.
  • Smiling-AngelSmiling-Angel Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear LetLoose,Im so sorry to hear you had to say farewell to little one.
    I have 2 cats,one 20 years old and the other one 18 years old.
    My 20 year old is going the same way as yours did,I know its just a matter of time before I too have to say goodbye to my little mate.
    I just wonder how my 18 year old will cope when that time comes?.

So sorry LetLoose,big ((((((hugs)))))) just for you.
    Forum Member
    I'm so sorry LL I kept checking this thread to see if there was any news, I'm thinking of you ((((LL))))
  • moggiesroolmoggiesrool Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been very worried about my 19 year old cat lately. Now and then she keeps losing her balance on her back legs and collapses on to the floor. And a few times she has drank water out of glasses and has peed on our mat a few times :o.

Please, if anybody can give me any advice on what to do I'd really appreciate it.

Oh god, I hate hearing and reading stuff like this. My prev moggy was 22 - and all of a sudden, she did the same thing. within days, she looked very very ill. her back end began swaying as though she had no control over it, and soon she was very lethargic, couldn't move.

her time had come and her system just gave in. She's possibly not passing any stools. Please, please , get her to the vet as early as possible tomorrow. It may be time to say goodbye, which is more painful than anything - but you have to think of what is best for her.

I dont want to hurt, upset, or alarm you, but I really am begging you: stay awake with her all night, and let her know mum is there for her, stoke and cry with her.

But please, get her to the vet first thing. Please please PM me, I will give you my tel number. I went through this only 2 years ago, I know exactly how you feel.

Thoughts and love. x