Actors who play the same character in every movie

12346»

Comments

• Rueben_ClaraRueben_Clara Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Noooway wrote: »
    In recent films Adam Sandler seems to play the part of a really cool guy with a hot girlfriend and a nice house and whose friends all fawn over him.
    I agree that he usually plays the cheeky cool guy with a bad attitude who has to learn a lesson and ends up getting the hot girl. His one role that was different was in Reign Over me. I actually cried watching his performance. I think it was because he usually plays the same role, seeing him do something different and portray heartache with such contriviction really got to me.
    Vol wrote: »
    Will Smith went through a phase of this and to be honest he should probably go back to it!
    I know Will Smith as the cop/man playing the hero really works. He just needs to leave his son out of his films.
    Pob-Bundy wrote: »
    Lol what?!:D he's played fat women, old men/women, an elderly asian man and a camp white workout instructor!! He may not have dramatic range but credit where credits due!
    Yes. Eddie Murphy has a talented for making them all seem the same! Most of the characters in the Norbit film where a rip off of the Klumps. In fact, I thought they were the Klumps until I read the reviews.
    Nihonga wrote: »
    The only film I can honestly say he played the part a lot differently from the rest of his film (and I do mean the rest) is Interview with A Vampire.
    That was easily Tom Cruise's best role.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only film I can honestly say he played the part a lot differently from the rest of his film (and I do mean the rest) is Interview with A Vampire.

Pretty hard to be an all american action hero type when you look like death warmed up, lol.

It's funny because when I think of Cruise, I think of his early films like T.A.P.S. (appears as a military trainee who goes berserk), Risky Business (a cocky spoiled-brat teenager, who becomes a successful pimp and gets to shag a hot woman in slow motion on a train), Endless Love (a callous friend/advisor) and The Outsiders (a gap-toothed street fighter).

I thought he would go far. He did succeed, but not in a direction I expected. I expected him to become a decent character actor, not a film star.

I still can't associate the early Cruise with the later Cruise (circa Top Gun and onwards). It's as if there are two actors who happen to share the name. Now and then, the old him shows up. Such as Magnolia and Collateral. Not often enough, though.
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, and another actor who does NOT play the same character again and again I find, this time a female:

Meryl Streep

... and Cate Blanchett.
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny Trejo always plays a Mexican you wouldn't f*** with in pretty much every film he's made (this includes the 5 films he's just made in the time it took me to type this).
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachel Aniston

That made me laugh! I'd say her as well.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's only one Jason Statham.

His films are usually pretty entertaining, but I sometimes forget which one is which, but he just plays the same character all the time.

Honourable mention to Michael Caine.
    I think for all intents and purposes Jason is like our modern day Arnie

He's not an 'actor' he's a film star. He knows what the people like, and he gets paid handsomely for it (somewhere in the $15 - $20 mil range)
    ''You can't have a sushi restaurant and then put cheese on toast on the menu, because they'd go, 'why did you do that? We came here to eat sushi.'
    ''The dilemma is that you have to do something that people want to see.''
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »
    I think for all intents and purposes Jason is like our modern day Arnie

Not even close.
  • beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvester Stallone (always action)
    Jean Claude Van Damme (always action)
    Steven Seagal (always action)
    Tom Cruise (always action)

Frat Pack (comedy)
    Steve Martin (comedy)
    Eddie Murphy (comedy)
    Jim Carey (comedy)

Keira Knightley (Always some danzel in distress)
    Rachel McAdams (Always romantic films)
    Jennifer Aniston (Always the woman with a guy problem)