Gamers and Developers

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is going to be bit of a rant but i'm annoyed

What is it with some of gamers on here, if a developer says something bad about the WiiU then some people agree and developers are always right

but when at least to my knowledge three different third party developers come out and say making games for PS4 is better than PC suddenly you have people, screaming and crying about how they are wrong and PC gaming will always be god

So i'm confused do developers know more about the games consoles they spent years making games on

or do gamers know more about the consoles they've most likely never even played on

Comments

• HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone on the internet cherry picks information to suit their agenda.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly because they have spent £1000+ on their rig and refuse to believe that anything to do with something that cost a few hundred could be better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just have an open question for any one to try and answer (though it is opinion based so nobody can be right or wrong)

What do Epic, or any other third party company, gain from lying that the PS4 is better than a PC in various ways?

They'll be supporting every console and PC anyway, so what possible reason do they have to lie?
  • jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get annoyed when developers mislead people, every time a new generation comes out we get this. Anyone who buys into any of it is a moron, Nvidia have said the PS4 is like a low to mid range PC, others have said it's the best thing since sliced bread. I prefer the PC purely because of the customisation available for both hardware and software (mods) but I also have consoles and I will be buying a PS4, both have their strengths and weaknesses.

@Willowfan You don't need to spend a £1000+, anyone who spends that has been ripped off.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Just have an open question for any one to try and answer (though it is opinion based so nobody can be right or wrong)

What do Epic, or any other third party company, gain from lying that the PS4 is better than a PC in various ways?

They'll be supporting every console and PC anyway, so what possible reason do they have to lie?

They may be getting a kick-back from Sony for exclusive deals/content with an added bonus on sales. A dev certainly wouldn't get that from PC sales.

And developing for a console with a practically set-in-stone spec, on a known architecture, would be a wee bit more straightforward than doing something for a PC with its multitude of variables, something that has been discussed on here a fair few times (binarydad knows much more on those lines than I do).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    They may be getting a kick-back from Sony for exclusive deals/content with an added bonus on sales. A dev certainly wouldn't get that from PC sales.

And developing for a console with a practically set-in-stone spec, on a known architecture, would be a wee bit more straightforward than doing something for a PC with its multitude of variables, something that has been discussed on here a fair few times (binarydad knows much more on those lines than I do).

Maybe an exclusive deal that doesn't sound to far fetched, but copy after company following the same line, it's not like sony would have deep enough pockets anymore
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »
    I get annoyed when developers mislead people, every time a new generation comes out we get this. Anyone who buys into any of it is a moron, Nvidia have said the PS4 is like a low to mid range PC, others have said it's the best thing since sliced bread. I prefer the PC purely because of the customisation available for both hardware and software (mods) but I also have consoles and I will be buying a PS4, both have their strengths and weaknesses.

@Willowfan You don't need to spend a £1000+, anyone who spends that has been ripped off.
    I know you don't need to, but you can and some people do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    willowfan wrote: »
    I know you don't need to, but you can and some people do.

That's up to them, it's their choice and choice is one of the PCs strengths. My set up isn't cheap and to be honest it's being wasted, hopefully when the next generation of consoles appears I'll finally be able to make use of that hardware.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    ... but copy after company following the same line...

Do you mean "company after company"? Not that many companies have done it... They wouldn't have turned up at the Sony event nor be saying PR stuff in the press at this moment in time if they weren't 'somehow' getting something for it, whether that be free dev kits, money towards exclusives or better percentages on sales, I dunno.

Even as of last year Sony were still paying for exclusives on PSN at advances of around £20k a time even when they were then cancelled so there's still money somewhere...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Do you mean "company after company"? Not that many companies have done it... They wouldn't have turned up at the Sony event nor be saying PR stuff in the press at this moment in time if they weren't 'somehow' getting something for it, whether that be free dev kits, money towards exclusives or better percentages on sales, I dunno.

Even as of last year Sony were still paying for exclusives on PSN at advances of around £20k a time even when they were then cancelled so there's still money somewhere...

Exactly, the industry is full of BS and people fall for it every time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »
    That's up to them, it's their choice and choice is one of the PCs strengths.
    Hmm, depending on what you mean by this, no it isn't. It is it's major weakness.

The recent quotes about the PS4 being easier than PC is because a developer knows what is inside every single PS4.

They don't know what is inside your PC, so they have to cover all the bases. They have to make it work on 32-bit, they have to make it work on 64-bit, they have to make it work good for AMD cards, they have to make it work good on NVIDIA cards, etc, etc.

If you mean though that someone can spend £1k on a new TITAN or just £100 on a low-end card and still play the same game then, yeah, for a consumer that is a plus point.