Vodafone - unwanted overseas roaming charges with the iPhone 4

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    vodafone people have lost the plot, after being with them for 5 years they couldnt match O2's offer by a huge difference and i had to go through the hassle of switching. If you ask for reasoning they will say because we are better. Well....good luck!
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I don't even need to turn roaming off on my phone on Three. I can turn international data on and off from Three's portal. When it's turned off and I turn my phone on in another country it just sends 2 text messages, 1 says FROM THREE: and has the roaming rates for the country in in, then the 2nd says you tried to use mobile data when it's turned off and that it won't work until you turn it on from the portal.

Can you access the portal from the phone when abroad and international data is turned off on the account?
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    Can you access the portal from the phone when abroad and international data is turned off on the account?

I didn't try but you can certainly do it from any Wifi connection in the hotel or airport or whatever.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you ask for reasoning they will say because we are better.

In terms of call quality and data speeds, they seem to be among the worst at the mo,,,,
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I didn't try but you can certainly do it from any Wifi connection in the hotel or airport or whatever.

It doesn't sound particularly practical to me doing it that way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With T-Mobile, I get similar. A text telling me the roaming charges for the country, and an explanation that to buy a data add-on I need to open my browsing window and follow the instructions given.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    It doesn't sound particularly practical to me doing it that way.

Then just leave it on via the website and turn it off on the phone. Most people will make the decision ahead of time as to whether they will be using the phone for data abroad and choose the option on the website.

You don't have to visit the website on your phone, just from a laptop, office, hotel or wherever. It's pretty common to use wifi when travelling, most airports have it free these days, or just make the decision and turn it on or off before you go.

What I'm saying is if you know you never want it you can comfortably travel with it disabled in the portal on Three and not have to worry about charges or whether you've got the phone settings right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Did you even read the old thread you dug up? It's nothing to do with Apple or a bug in iOS.

Yes I read the thread. Found this one after reading this one

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2012/11/iphone-users-hit-by-data-roaming-charges-after-disabling-function

OK this may have been a Jersey thing. Still think its unreasonable to be in a 'country' that is deemed as roaming by the operator, but connects like in the UK, but uses roaming charges, not plan charges.

If Jersey is not part of the UK, why did my 'apparently unfaulty iphone software' think it was ?

That's all I am saying .. an I have finally given up with Orange.

The quicker that roaming charges are controlled/abolished the better I say
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TimEwins wrote: »
    If Jersey is not part of the UK, why did my 'apparently unfaulty iphone software' think it was ?

Because, as already mentioned in this thread, the Channel Islands use the same MCC (Mobile Country Code) as the UK.

... but they are *not* part of the UK, and using a UK mobile phone there requires roaming.