DVP5100/05 Firmware Version - Should I upgrade

I've got the 5100/05 and when check the firmware it states the following

Version 00:05:0C:09
Sub Ver 01:06
Servo 05:00:04:02
RISC 40:04:20:00
DSP 03:02:02:14
Region 2

The firmware I've downloaded from philips says ver 1.3 on their pages, can anyone advise how they stamp the firmware version and if the 1.3 is actually later than the current one on player.

thanks
walkerx

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also got one of these players recently and was confused by the version numbers... I did it anyway, and the player plays everything brilliantly.

I bought another player for my girlfriend, and did not do the upgrade, and it occasionally skips whilst playing vertain Divx files. Needless to say I will be doing the upgrade on her player too.

also, I figured they would have the latest version of the firmware on the website, not an old one...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    i've tried burning the firmware from off philips website - says 29th August 2005, but when put into dvd player says unknown disc.

Can anyone advise of correct settings for nero 7, that i should be using to burn the image to
  • Options
    Forum Member
    managed to get it to read the update after changing name to dvp5100_00.bin, pressed play when said - it restarted but now its a no go - no osd - get reg error when play discs - will play mutli-region disks - won't read firmware disk again.
  • Options
    briancbbbriancbb Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Did you follow the upgrade instructions EXACTLY as the article on the Philips site?

After the disc was ejected did you wait for the upgrade completion message before closing the CD tray?

Upgrades can be complicated and instructions have to be followed precisely or you machine will be bu**ered. Much like updating PC BIOS.

Brian
  • Options
    LivingForeverLivingForever Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Anyone know if the latest firmware corrects the problems with Packed Bitstream files?

Would be nice not to have to run everything through MPEG4Modifier before playing!

James
  • Options
    meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    walkerx wrote:
    managed to get it to read the update after changing name to dvp5100_00.bin, pressed play when said - it restarted but now its a no go - no osd - get reg error when play discs - will play mutli-region disks - won't read firmware disk again.

Maybe the '02' in the file name is for region 2, and you changed it to something else?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    briancbb wrote:
    Did you follow the upgrade instructions EXACTLY as the article on the Philips site?

Yep,

had to rename file from dvp5100_05.bin to dvp5100_00.bin for the machine to recognise it as an upgrade

the cd ejected, never touched anything, the machine rebooted itself after about 1 minute, the led display flashed hello, loading, eject and the screen was blue

and thats when i tried a disc and had problems
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suggest contacting Phillips support, as the upgrades went OK for me...

You did unzip the upgrade file before you burnt it though right? stupid question probably...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    did you have to rename the file or did you leave as _05.bin

also had you changed the region previously to 0 to make it fully multi-region or not. As I'm wondering if this is probably why it messed up.