Price increase in September

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There's gonna be a price increase in September. Exact details not yet known but will be in the next Sky mag or a letter for those that opted-out of the mag.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    nothing new there then:cry::cry:........ it always seems to be increased in september, just as a lot of people have re-subscribed when the football season starts.

kings:D
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    It's hardly news, or worth posting, there's a yearly increase EVERY September.

I believe VM increase their's in April?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firthy2002 wrote: »
    There's gonna be a price increase in September. Exact details not yet known but will be in the next Sky mag or a letter for those that opted-out of the mag.

I wonder if Sky will absorb the vat increase which seems likely to to be announced tomorrow.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    janet owen wrote: »
    I wonder if Sky will absorb the vat increase which seems likely to to be announced tomorrow.

No, why would they? - they passed the drop on the other year..
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Firthy2002 wrote: »

On the other hand, perhaps they will wait and see what is announced in tomorrows budget, consider the impact on folks disposible income and make a decision based on that?

After the usual beer up, **** up, petrol up and I suspect, utility bills (VAT rate) up, we might not be able to absorb an increase from Sky. Their execs get their bonuses based on (amongst other things) subscriber no's, so they wont want to encourage increased churn.

Personally I'd rather live on baked beans than give up Sky!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »

Personally I'd rather live on baked beans than give up Sky!:D

Then i'm glad i'm not the person sitting close to you. after a while it'd smell like the inside of a pack of dry roasted peanuts! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    On the other hand, perhaps they will wait and see what is announced in tomorrows budget, consider the impact on folks disposible income and make a decision based on that?

Well lets say it equates to £1 per subscriber per month that has to paid under any increased VAT level, that money then has to come straight from profits so that's around £100 million a year just gone poof and of course nothing to stop churn raising as other prices increase and people leave SKY regardless thanks not to SKY pricing but other services/products:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jarrak wrote: »
    Well lets say it equates to £1 per subscriber per month that has to paid under any increased VAT level, that money then has to come straight from profits so that's around £100 million a year just gone poof and of course nothing to stop churn raising as other prices increase and people leave SKY regardless thanks not to SKY pricing but other services/products:)

didn't you mean puff ? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    didn't you mean puff ? ;)

Nope, poof is right:)
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, now we know,...

a price rise in September and a 2.5% VAT rise as well in January.

That means two rises in a year again (same as last year after VAT went back up).

More reason than ever for Sky to reassess their pricing structure I think as post budget people will be reviewing luxury items,

Not expecting ,major price reductions but some tinkering of the margins to try to offer better value for money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The price increase also coincides with a restructuring on paying for the HD channels. :mad:
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The rumoured one or is there a link?
  • soapmadsoapmad Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got my sky mag today, nothing in there about a rise.
  • Captain WCaptain W Posts: 4,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is due to happen folks - July Mag is usually when the details appear if your pack is being increased, so you have advance notification for your August payment, which off course covers your month in advance as you always pay with Sky.
  • bubblegunbubblegun Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Price change letters will be sent out in early July, so expect to see them online around the same time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I meant the July Sky mag for those who get it.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend got a flyer through the post tempting them to join Sky.

It says Free Sky+ box when you join currently for £18 a month*

The * in the small print says "Prices will increase from 01.09.10
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quackers wrote: »
    My friend got a flyer through the post tempting them to join Sky.

It says Free Sky+ box when you join currently for £18 a month*

The * in the small print says "Prices will increase from 01.09.10

Probably £19 then £20 with the rise in VAT in 2011. :eek:
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, now we know,...

a price rise in September and a 2.5% VAT rise as well in January.

That means two rises in a year again (same as last year after VAT went back up).

More reason than ever for Sky to reassess their pricing structure I think as post budget people will be reviewing luxury items,

Not expecting ,major price reductions but some tinkering of the margins to try to offer better value for money.

Not really 2, as it went 'down' the year before, it was just returning to it's normal rate.

If they passed on he cutm I cannot see a reason for them not to pass on the rise, they get nothing out of that part of the increase, just the Government
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    Sky Sports going up by £3.00 per month from 1st September. Source. www.guardian.co.uk/media/all
    Ian.
  • rjmachinrjmachin Posts: 2,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    Sky Sports going up by £3.00 per month from 1st September. Source. www.guardian.co.uk/media/all
    Ian.

Interesting... No mention of other packs / movies increasing in price, only Sports.

Unless the other price announcements will be made as originally planned on 23rd July.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    Ian.

A spokesman for Ofcom said the regulator had always recognised "that retail prices would change in the future".

"That is why we set a fixed margin between Sky's retail prices and wholesale prices," the spokesman said. "This means that if Sky's retail prices change, then its wholesale prices will move by a fixed amount. Our decisions will therefore deliver competition, choice and innovation in the pay TV market, regardless of changes to Sky's retail prices."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/jun/30/sky-raises-prices

Looks like price will rise for Topup TV & BT Vision.
  • rawlyrawly Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Sky are playing a very very dangerous game! I had already been told from Sky I would be losing most of my HD channels come October in their move to align the "HD Pack" you get with your Mix.

I was already in two minds as to carry on paying £10 for just Sky One HD and Sports in HD. Infact I wrote to them informing them I would be dropping the £10 HD charge in October if I lost any channels. Ironically I mentioned to them how competitive the market is becoming with BT now having Sports 1 & 2 and Virgin offering HD with no Premium attached.

So, this completely Ups the game again! From October Sky now want me to pay £3 more for Sky Sports as well as losing a bunch of HD Channels (or pay up a another £5 to keep my HD channels) - so that's £8 they want extra off me!

This doesn't even include any other RPI increases or the VAT increase due on January!

My instinct is to say I'll now almost deinfately drop my Sky Sports and HD and cut back right down to the basic package with Sky - saving me nearly £40 a month on TV Subs. I'll then move my Broadband/Telephone to BT and get their Vision with the Sky Sports. Moving my Broadband will save me another £10. So I have £50 to play with on BT Vision and still pay the same as now.

Sky are really going down the wrong road here in their petty disputes with rivals, and their lust to squeeze money out of people in the recession.

But for me the line will be drawn here. I hope many others do the same! But in no way are they getting another £8 out of me come October, plus any other RPI increases plus another 2.5% VAT just to win some war with BT.
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping they do away with the £10.00 HD sub in October and as im on Sky World and Sky Ulimited Broadband now £7.50 instead of £10.00 per month, that would save me some money.
    Ian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rjmachin wrote: »
    Interesting... No mention of other packs / movies increasing in price, only Sports.

Unless the other price announcements will be made as originally planned on 23rd July.
    The article mentions that the top tier package will rise from £48.50 to £51.50 :mad: