Options

The Commonwealth Games 2014 Broadcasting Thread

Comments

• Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Anyone know the Judo Co commentator, she is so annoying and terrible.

Agreed. Yelling into a mic like a lunatic I do not like. It's not even words half the time, just noise.
  • Options
    Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    NEP Visions have their big triple expander (Atlantic) truck there I think ?

http://www.nepinc.com/solutions/services/remote_production/hd_production_trucks/atlantic

Maybe my eyes are deceiving me but I though the motorcycle cameras following the road race had Italian number plates.
  • Options
    BillyBoy7BillyBoy7 Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natalie Pirks on BBC reporting on the Women's Triathlon clearly stated that because two Welsh girls were not there, "England were the British representatives going into battle, in the front pack of ten".
    This while Aileen Reid from Northern Ireland, and English eventual winner Jodie Stimpson's training partner, was in fourth place.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I take a guess that one of the reasons is that many places, including pubs, show BBC News all day long so it's a way for people to catch up.

The pub when I walked past had BBC RB 4 on for the women's hockey.
  • Options
    CardioCortezCardioCortez Posts: 11,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clare Balding really excels on these occasions. She was the stand out presenter at the Olympics and again proving so now.
  • Options
    andrewlee2andrewlee2 Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    I wish there was a way of muting Rebecca Adlington. That girl can talk for England. Old Mark Foster can't get a word in!
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andrewlee2 wrote: »
    I wish there was a way of muting Rebecca Adlington. That girl can talk for England. Old Mark Foster can't get a word in!

Try BBC3 for Hockey or BBC Red Button for Swimming or BBC Sport Website for Squash and loads of other sports.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Anyone know the Judo Co commentator, she is so annoying and terrible.
    dor wrote: »
    Could not agree more.
    Agreed. Yelling into a mic like a lunatic I do not like. It's not even words half the time, just noise.

I think it is Nikki Adams, wife of Neil Adams who is commentating with her
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clare Balding really excels on these occasions. She was the stand out presenter at the Olympics and again proving so now.

I much prefer Hazel Irvine. Think she is far better and more knowledgeable
  • Options
    HarshadHarshad Posts: 5,996
    Forum Member
    Where is the world feed and the six streams from sunset and vine?
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Is there nothing on this evening?? Judo on both main channels half an hour ago, now highlights of the triathlon followed by an extended interview with the medal winners. Bring on the athletics track!!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Is there nothing on this evening?? Judo on both main channels half an hour ago, now highlights of the triathlon followed by an extended interview with the medal winners. Bring on the athletics track!!
    I'm not watching but is the beeb doing their thing of talking to each other while events are going on live in the background?

Swimming, Weightlifting and Badminton on the Red Button streams/channels.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'm not watching but is the beeb doing their thing of talking to each other while events are going on live in the background?

Swimming, Weightlifting and Badminton on the Red Button streams/channels.

No, not at the moment. Swimming is being shown. Just had an interview with the triathletes before though.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lots of inane chat on BBC1 - there are loads on the streams tonight. BBC 3 has been good. Basically a brief link/interview with Dougie/Lee/Dan at a 'sport change' but that is about it - no inane crap, just sport basically.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The One hour highlights show that gets sent around the World had the following:

V/O - John Helm and Muriel Gray
    Women's Triathlon - Patrick Winterton and Kris Gemmell
    Swimming - Mike McMahon (spelling?) and Alison Shephard
    Track Cycling - Hugh Porter and ?
    Table Tennis - Table Tennis - Simon Reed & Paul Hand, Trevor Harris and ?
    Netball (Australia v Wales) - ? (Two female Australian commentators)
    Judo - Neil Adams and Nicky Adams
    Squash - ?

Quite obviously a few missing there, but it's a start.
  • Options
    Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scurry wrote: »
    No idea but I'll be turning off whenever Judo's on if she's commentating. She's much worse than the screamer at the Winter Olympics.

I was just thinking that she would fit in well on the BBC's Winter Olympic coverage! :D
    The One hour highlights show that gets sent around the World had the following:

Track Cycling - Hugh Porter and ?

So have the BBC opted not to use Hugh 'igniting the burners' Porter then, since it was Simon Brotherton today? Or is he usually missing from the BBC's Commonwealth Games coverage?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Igloo_Man wrote: »
    I was just thinking that she would fit in well on the BBC's Winter Olympic coverage! :D

So have the BBC opted not to use Hugh 'igniting the burners' Porter then, since it was Simon Brotherton today? Or is he usually missing from the BBC's Commonwealth Games coverage?

Hugh is doing the World Feed, the BBC are using their own commentators on Athletics, Cycling, Swimming, Gymnastics ( Artistic ), Boxing, Diving and Triathlon. The rest are world feed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shame, I love Hugh. Don't dislike SB but very much a football voice to me..
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed watching the Hockey match between England and Trinidad and Tobago earlier this evening. I thought the commentary was excellent. I also caught some of the table tennis between Northern Ireland and India.
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The BBC haven't used Hugh Porter on their cycling coverage since the 2012 Olympics
  • Options
    Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh is doing the World Feed, the BBC are using their own commentators on Athletics, Cycling, Swimming, Gymnastics ( Artistic ), Boxing, Diving and Triathlon. The rest are world feed
    Alex2606 wrote: »
    The BBC haven't used Hugh Porter on their cycling coverage since the 2012 Olympics

Cheers. I'm one of those folk who tends to jump on the cycling bandwagon just for the major events. :cool:

I presume that's just the BBC's choice then? Considering they've got Brotherton on the roster anyway I guess it's better from a financial perspective to just use him. But I do miss the burners being ignited...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers. I'm one of those folk who tends to jump on the cycling bandwagon just for the major events. :cool:

I presume that's just the BBC's choice then? Considering they've got Brotherton on the roster anyway I guess it's better from a financial perspective to just use him. But I do miss the burners being ignited...

Hugh did commentate for the BBC on the speed skating at the Winter Olympics but I guess the beeb are looking to the future. Hugh is 74 now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chappers' highlights programme looks like a concept based halfway between that James Corden World Cup thing and Later with Jools :o:D:confused:
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Chappers' highlights programme looks like a concept based halfway between that James Corden World Cup thing and Later with Jools :o:D:confused:

Yeah some people on here are going to be seething about this :D
  • Options
    AkilduffAkilduff Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    There seems to be one highlights programme on BBC1 from 2240-2340 introduced by Mark Chapman and Clare Balding then a second highlights programme 2340-2400presented by Katherine Downes (whoever she is). Seems a touch of overkill to have two highlights programmes as there can't be many events taking place late at night.

Same as the Olympics. The first highlights programme was a bit like a chat show with some action in it. Sportsday came on at midnight with Dan Walker and was an excellent proper highlights programme. It ended up being looped on the red button overnight.

I imagine the two highlights programmes for Glasgow will follow the same format.