Options

The Trip - Mondays, BBC2 10pm

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    I agree 100%. It shouldn't work, and I should think that it's a load of self-indulgent wank, but I'm enjoying it on its own terms.

That's such a very funny post! It's really cracked me up! :D
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coogan and Brydon are brilliant, and could make people laugh by reading out the phone book. But is that a good reason for not making an effort any more?
  • Options
    DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    That was great. Better than the first episode and had me laughing out loud which not many shows do.
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying this............the acting conversation in the restaurant was hilarious........:p

Yeh me too, no doubt the protestors will be on soon telling us how bland and self indulgent it all is though.

I don't know if it's just cos i have had a gutful of shi* soaps and x fcator after weekend but this just feels like bliss to watch - makes me all calm and relaxed unlike the cretins that are the x factor audience.....(it's not my choice to watch it, it's in every house i visit at weekends!!!)
  • Options
    dwisemandwiseman Posts: 4,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i liked it more than episode 1..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    Restaurant link: http://www.lenclume.co.uk/

That acting.improv bit at the table was truly hilarious. I wish the show had been built around that kind of simple messing about. The whole restaurant/domestic drama stuff seem like out-of-place ingredients to me.
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diary_room wrote: »
    Restaurant link: http://www.lenclume.co.uk/

That acting.improv bit at the table was truly hilarious. I wish the show had been built around that kind of simple messing about. The whole restaurant/domestic drama stuff seem like out-of-place ingredients to me.

yeh know what you mean but they do need some sort of plot device i spose, maybe will be less out of place as series goes on.
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a hugely enjoyable series. There's a real underlying pathos about it, too. It shouldn't work, but it does.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes another good episode, 6 courses, or starters £180 not cheap..
    great Ken bruce, and Steve Hawkings..
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This program is so enjoyable and easy to watch with the added attraction that it could go in any direction at any moment.

I missed the start and was just playing it back and now it's hard to turn it off. There are subtle moments that I missed the first time like Rob's look to Steve when the waiter presents them with the 'Little sacks'.

It's a shame that the 30 minutes go so quickly.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    I agree 100%. It shouldn't work, and I should think that it's a load of self-indulgent wank, but I'm enjoying it on its own terms.
    HALibutt wrote: »
    Their James Bond impressions are great. I'm enjoying those.... - but I feel I must have missed the point of this show? :o

What's entertaining about watching them eat and be served a ten course dinner? :confused:

Its an amiable cock 'n bull story about two blokes touring the rural north, dining out on expenses and exchanging amusing banter and impressions. Thats all. :)

Coogans Stephen Hawking was spot on, what was that tune he played in his neck/throat? I know it but can't place it.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two words - COMEDY GOLD! :D

I am absolutely loving this! Love the fact they just sit there and make conversation by doing impressions at each other whilst they show the food being prepared and waiting for someone to bring the food over to their table.

Also nice little touch at the end when they were both on phones. Rob - happy family man in a loving relationshop. Steve - not so much! :D

And Ben Stiller?! Wasn't expecting that! Haha!
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Its an amiable cock 'n bull story about two blokes touring the rural north, dining out on expenses and exchanging amusing banter and impressions. Thats all. :)

Coogans Stephen Hawking was spot on, what was that tune he played in his neck/throat? I know it but can't place it.

I think the title is Popcorn, struggling to remember who did it originally. Instrumental, possibly as far back as the seventies. Just googled - the biggest hit was by Hot Butter which is the version I remember.
  • Options
    Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mindbear wrote: »
    I think it was the one where they had to abstain from, er, pleasuring themselves.

Aah, Cheers

"THE CONTEST"

Season 4 Ep 11.

Kinda helps when its called by the proper title.

What on earth happened to yesterdays schedule?

Skipped MotD, ruined Spooks and got a repeat of The Trip.

Rob Brydons impression of Alan Partridge and Pacino was worth the repeat, as was the camp nod.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Two words - COMEDY GOLD! :D

I am absolutely loving this! Love the fact they just sit there and make conversation by doing impressions at each other whilst they show the food being prepared and waiting for someone to bring the food over to their table.

Also nice little touch at the end when they were both on phones. Rob - happy family man in a loving relationshop. Steve - not so much! :D

And Ben Stiller?! Wasn't expecting that! Haha!

That's what I like about this show. Anything can happen.

It wouldn't surprise me if Arnold Schwarzeneger turned up next week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    yes another good episode, 6 courses, or starters £180 not cheap..
    great Ken bruce, and Steve Hawkings..

But that includes wine (and prob service) so It's cheap compared to London prices. I wasn't wowed by the food though.

See, this is what's weird about the show. You end up discussing both the restaurants and the improv/comedy. It's a very odd mix.
  • Options
    DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    treefr0g wrote: »
    This program is so enjoyable and easy to watch with the added attraction that it could go in any direction at any moment.

I missed the start and was just playing it back and now it's hard to turn it off. There are subtle moments that I missed the first time like Rob's look to Steve when the waiter presents them with the 'Little sacks'.

It's a shame that the 30 minutes go so quickly.

Totally agree with this. Loved the 'little sacks' moment between them!
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what was that tune he played in his neck/throat? I know it but can't place it.

Pretty sure that it was used as the theme tune to 'Tomorrow's World' in the late 70s/early 80s.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .........., what was that tune he played in his neck/throat? I know it but can't place it.
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I think the title is Popcorn, struggling to remember who did it originally. Instrumental, possibly as far back as the seventies. Just googled - the biggest hit was by Hot Butter which is the version I remember.

I think this is it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y_VHOCp7Lw
  • Options
    robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i didnt know if it was real or not but caught it tonight and was really imopressed thought it was hilarious and i love those two together
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,763
    Forum Member
    The Ray Winstone snot drink had me roaring. James Bond stuff was very good too.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diary_room wrote: »
    But that includes wine (and prob service) so It's cheap compared to London prices. I wasn't wowed by the food though.

See, this is what's weird about the show. You end up discussing both the restaurants and the improv/comedy. It's a very odd mix.

yep i forgot about the wine, 2 bottles of good wine.

dident realise they were both 45, :eek:
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50, cheers for placing it. Ah my youth! Then again I'm also 45, which is why I'm so comfortable with this programme! :p (I'd like to add I'm wearing better than both of them)
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genuis. As funny as the dialogue is the funniest thing for me is simply Brydon’s impassive look as he stares at Coogan whilst he’s doing his impressions and whatnot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    I have nothing to add here except to point out how awesome this show is. And I'd like to award myself a tiny brownie point for identifying the work of Michael Winterbottom on this without having read about it first. Winterbottom has made his fair share of odd films but he really excels in this realistic and understated drama style. Wonderland is one of my favourite films.

Oddly I find this far more enjoyable than Cock & Bull Story but I'm inclined to go back and re-evaluate that once this series has completed.