Would you go to the cinema alone? poll

Comments

• soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to see the Hobbit on my own. No one else wanted to see it so I chose an afternoon matinee near the end of it's run as I knew the place would be quite empty.
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Why on earth would one not? Am I supposed to not watch a film I want to see just because my friends don't want to see it? How odd.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I haven't yet but only because the cinema is a stop gap between going on to other places, like the pub or to a restaurant. Every single time I've been the cinema, there's always more than a handful of people who are there on their own. It's never struck me as odd because you mostly just sit there in silence, in the dark.
  • Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    batgirl wrote: »
    Yeah, and people who watch tv on their own. Freaks. And obviously up to something.

What about people who live on their own. *shivers*
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zummigummi wrote: »
    I do and think there is nothing wrong with it though I know people who say they wouldn't be caught dead going alone.

Yes I would, I actually prefer it! I used to treat myself sometimes to an afternoon off work, and go to an afternoon showing. Far better than the weekend! I counted only 3 others in one day, yolu could stretch across several seats, sit where you liked, put you feet up on the back of the chair in front...bliss!
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    What about people who live on their own. *shivers*

Exactly. Thin end of the wedge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, do it all the time, so do others as I see them as well.

They still ask at the till if its just the one ticket.:cool:
  • potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    There's nothing wrong with it but unfortunately in this society you will always get people who label anyone alone as 'a loner' and 'a freak' - the people who do this though are the people who cannot even go to a shop alone and constantly need company to validate their existence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    potatolegs wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with it but unfortunately in this society you will always get people who label anyone alone as 'a loner' and 'a freak' - the people who do this though are the people who cannot even go to a shop alone and constantly need company to validate their existence.

I am a loner.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many threads do we need on the same subject. This one seems to pop up every few weeks.

Don't see the problem, don't read it if it annoys you.

I have plenty of friends and have been to the cinema alone. I used to work shifts and liked going during the day when it was quiet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday mornings are the best for it being quite. But they always come in and do a head count.
  • potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    tothegrand wrote: »

Nothing wrong with enjoying your own company.
  • RedRose9191RedRose9191 Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sometimes think that the people who can't bear to go on their own actually look to do exactly that when they go with someone. I think they look at it as a social meeting rather than actually going to see a film.

For the record, as I say every time this thread appears, I always find it highly amusing to hear people express their abject horror at the thought of going to the cinema alone :)

Me too. Like I said before the cinema is hardly the most sociable place to be - it's not like you can sit and have a chat. Going to the cinema alone is nice.
  • BizzaBizza Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ended up going to see The Hobbit on my own as no one else wanted to see it.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    Why on earth would one not? Am I supposed to not watch a film I want to see just because my friends don't want to see it? How odd.

Exactly - and it's not as if I've got all the time in the world to go the cinema, I can only go when I've got some free time, and I wouldn't miss a movie just because none of my friends were free at the same time.

The cinema isn't exactly a very social place either, I get very irritated with people who talk through movies! I'd rather see a movie on my own and spend time with friends going out for coffee/shopping etc instead!
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Once you're sat down among other people, who knows you are on your own? Anyway, who cares what other people think? Most normal people wouldn't even be bothered or even notice you, they're more interested in what they're doing. If you want to go to the cinema on your own - do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay! This thread was merged earlier today with one from late 2012.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done this loads of times, as has my sister.

It hasn't bothered me. (Apart from going to a film with an interval and having the random guy in front asking me to mind his bag while he went to the loo).
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    I haven't been to the cinema on my own, but would do if I had to. I haven't been to the cinema since 2003 anyway.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Not me it's too scarey.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Just come back from seeing Evil Dead alone - there was 4 people including me - a couple and another "loner freak" like me. Nothing happened to me - I wasn't tarred and feathered or mocked....phew!
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't bother me to go alone. Some of the crap I've seen I am sometimes the only one in there.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »

I'm a loner AND freak. :D
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    Just come back from seeing Evil Dead alone - there was 4 people including me - a couple and another "loner freak" like me. Nothing happened to me - I wasn't tarred and feathered or mocked....phew!

I hope I'm not giving anything away but it's best not to sit 3 rows from the front, like I did. It's a very squelchy film.

Oh, and I went with someone because on that day I wasn't a loner freak. Phew.
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally wouldn't, I'd just feel so awkward and I like others around me.

I saw Zero Dark Thirty on my own though, I took a pen and paper and pretended to be a reviewer. But I felt SO awkward it was hardly worth it!