Options

Business owner catches thieves - ends up charged with assault

Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A businessman who attacked two thieves caught red-handed in a night-time raid was arrested after defending his property, a court has heard.

Andrew Woodhouse, 44, was today on trial facing assault charges on the two raiders he found stealing diesel from his business.

A jury heard how Woodhouse grabbed a fence post one was carrying as a weapon - and used it to fight back against them.

The father-of-five - who says he has repeatedly been a victim of crime at his gardening company - kept hold of the two burglars until police arrived.

But the court was told it was Woodhouse who was then arrested and accused of using excessive force.

The thieves ended up with £75 fines - but businessman Woodhouse could face a prison sentence if he is found guilty of attacking them.

Full story here

Wondering people's opinions on this one...personally I think, from what I've read, I'd be content with him being let off with a stern warning at most. The criminals were caught and one apparently beaten with the very item he intended to use as a weapon himself. Nobody died, they should just consider it a standard potential hazard of their "job". I don't see this prosecution serving the public in any meaningful way at all.

Comments

• Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link just states...

'Oops! Google Chrome could not find i'm sure the slaves would have some light hearted moments'

However it's a very poor decision from what you've posted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops, copied a bit from a post elsewhere I meant to quote, pasted that instead of the link! Fixed now.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read this earlier as well - according to reports, one of the men he attacked suffered two broken legs. That, in my humble opinion, isn't self defence.

Don't get me wrong, I fully and unequivocally support people's right to defend their home, family or themselves in any way they feel appropriate but if you attack someone to the point you break both their legs, it's going above and beyond simple self defence.

So while a prison sentence probably isn't what i'd want for the guy, some form of punishment I think is appropriate.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Businessman on trial for GBH after attacking and detaining pair of burglars
    Kevin Green, 53, and Timothy Cross, 32, tried to escape into a neighbouring field with jerry cans full of stolen fuel.
    But Woodhouse chased Green and caught him near their getaway car. He then attacked Green leaving him with two broken legs and a broken arm.
    The court heard he then chased Cross before rugby-tackling him. He lay on top of the raider until police arrived.

Chasing a criminal and leaving him with two broken legs and a broken arm sounds a little difficult to justify as "self defence".
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This wasn't self defence. He chased them, and caught them, then broke both legs, and an arm of one.

Prosecutions for self defence are very rare, this isn't such a case.

We may feel little sympathy for thieves, but this was GBH.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This wasn't self defence. He chased them, and caught them, then broke both legs, and an arm of one.

And what did he use to do the breaking?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Chasing a criminal and leaving him with two broken legs and a broken arm sounds a little difficult to justify as "self defence".

Yeah I forgot there was a broken arm as well. Basically he's beaten the guy to within an inch of his life.

I feel little sympathy for the criminal because if you put yourself in that situation and end up getting a hiding because of it then you've only got yourself to blame, but it's still far from self defence though.

If Mr Woodhouse had incapacitated both of them with the post to the point he could restrain them until the police arrived, then this would likely have never gone to court.
  • Options
    chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've no sympathy for the thieves at all. They got what they deserved. Ideally I'd like to see no action taken against the business owner.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Whilst personally I think the thieves got what they deserved, I can see how the guy went beyond what was necessary so a prosecution is justified.

However it should definitely not be a custodial sentence. Due to the circumstances, a caution would be enough i think, or a fine smaller than that given to the thieves.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assuming the business owner doesn't have previous form for being violent, I think it's harsh on him to be charged for this. In a moment of madness, when the adrenaline is pumping and you've got hold of two people trying to steal your property (especially when you've been a victim of crime in the past), I think you can be excused for going a bit OTT.

Hope he gets off with a warning at most. It would be incredibly unjust if he received anything harsher than the two thieves did.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as the burglars are concerned I'm a bit of an advocate of the living and dying by the sword. I've no sympathy for them broken limbs or not.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I like the picture of the lad in hospital looking sorry for himself with a broken arm and two broken legs. Fully deserved in my opinion. Thieving scumbags both.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the fact it was 2 against one makes it more justifiable. Especially as they had weapons. Otherwise if he hadn't incapacitated one bloke, he would still be being attacked as he was pinning the other down.

I hope he isnt convicted.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming the business owner doesn't have previous form for being violent, I think it's harsh on him to be charged for this.

Don't see how he could not be charged. He admitted attacking the thieves. It may be possible for him to receive a suspended sentence, in which case that would seem more just than locking him up.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I think the fact it was 2 against one makes it more justifiable. Otherwise if he hadn't incapacitated one bloke, he would still be being attacked as he was pinning the other down.

I hope he isnt convicted.

And that is precisely what I would argue to the police and to the courts. "I chased after them to retrieve my property, and they turned on me with a lump of wood. In fear of my life, I managed to grab it and put one assailant out of commission and subdue the other"
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    He should get a medal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    And that is precisely what I would argue to the police and to the courts. "I chased after them to retrieve my property, and they turned on me with a lump of wood. In fear of my life, I managed to grab it and put one assailant out of commission and subdue the other"

Quite right, if it's 2 vs 1, with a weapon; if I were in that situation then I would assume they would be willing to use that weapon on me. It's better to be judged by 12 rather than be carried by 6.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Don't see how he could not be charged.

I guess I'm just hoping that common sense and a modicum of understanding and fairness could be applied.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's been cleared, according to Matthew Wright - or whoever feeds him information through his earpiece.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    He's been cleared, according to Matthew Wright - or whoever feeds him information through his earpiece.

If this is true then this is jolly good news.
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    No sympathy for the scumbag thieves

2 broken legs and a broken arm sounds bad, but not when it's 2 criminals (one of whom have got a weapon) against 1 innocent business protecting his property and assets

Had he not have incapacitated that man then he may well have received a hiding himself as well as being a victim of theft as well as the perpetrators getting away and probably never being caught.

Maybe he should have just left them? But then having already been a victim of theft in the past, I can fully understand why he'd had enough and thought he's going to try catch the *******s!!
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this is true then this is jolly good news.

Absolutely agreed!
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^Agree with most posts on here, they got what they deserved, it should be a hazard of their chosen profession, which they should accept when going down that particular route.

Its ok for the Police to say "We should be called etc etc", but this wasn't the first time this had happened, and obviously the Police hadn't or failed to do anything useful. Same thing with Tony Martin, the Police failed him on several occasions and look where that ended up.

I have a customer who has a steel firm, they had a lorry stolen, a friend of his works for SWALEC and was repairing a electricity pylon over looking a Traveller site and spied said truck on the site. He phoned his friend to ask "had he lost a lorry, and if so he was looking at it". They phoned the police to tell them where it was and the response was "we don't have any one available to deal with the Travellers", even though within a few hours that lorry was going to be turned into scrap metal.

The Police in this country really need to start getting a gripe and doing the job they're paid for, or more incidents like this will happen.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    What does his local MP have to say?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news. I'd be happy to see him get a bravery award.