Lots of repeats however no Bilko

2»

Comments

• Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I can remember in the early eighties BBC2 regularly showing the Phil Silvers Show ( sometimes made it to BBC1 late at night), Laurel and Hardy, Will Hay films and St Trinians films. I was in my early teens then and no one minded some of these shows were made in the thirties. Now all we seem to get is tedious Eggheads on a never ending loop.

I grew up watching some of the old B&w comedies, especially Laurel and Hardy and the Robert Youngson complilations of the old silent movies. I even have a few of them on DVD. They are superb. Funny is funny whether its in B&W or colour and these guys were geniuses. Sure it may not be sophiticated or subtle or thought provoking, it was not meant to be.

For the time as well the stunts were amazing, especially Buster Keaton, and Harold Lloyd. I can remember watching Harold Lloyd as well on BBC probably around the mid 80's.

Oh for that to be repeated
  • Options
    Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »

Oh for that to be repeated

Yet we get repeats or best bits of cookery shows, I mean someone heating up food. 😟
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the Bilko episode called Hoodlum from last night.Great stuff :D
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aidan11 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Been wanting to see Bilko again for years. Must admit I've not even heard of this channel.

I only found the channel myself by accident yesterday

The first episode I saw was the one where Bilko and the platoon are nice to a rich kid in order to make him give them some money
  • Options
    blancoelectra97blancoelectra97 Posts: 3,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I only found the channel myself by accident yesterday

The first episode I saw was the one where Bilko and the platoon are nice to a rich kid in order to make him give them some money

I love that one so funny.

I've got a Bilko book,it dissects every episode,totally fab;

Bilko: The Fort Baxter Story, Irvine, Ian Paperback Book.
  • Options
    Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I can remember in the early eighties BBC2 regularly showing the Phil Silvers Show ( sometimes made it to BBC1 late at night), Laurel and Hardy, Will Hay films and St Trinians films. I was in my early teens then and no one minded some of these shows were made in the thirties. Now all we seem to get is tedious Eggheads on a never ending loop.

Yes, never-ending... aka once a day for half an hour. Let's be honest, Eggheads gets more viewers than Bilko ever would.

It was funny in its day but it hasn't held up well at all.
  • Options
    pilninggaspilninggas Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Harry Speakup !!!

on forces.tv right now
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, never-ending... aka once a day for half an hour. Let's be honest, Eggheads gets more viewers than Bilko ever would.

You cannot be serious. Funny is funny no matter what the decade it was made. perhaps you should try watching old clips maybe on you tube of Harold Lloyd Buster Keaton and even Bilko and see what real comedy is
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had never seen the Private Harry Speakup episode until tonight.1 scene i found really funny is when Bilko is busy speaking to the new recruits & Barbella is the only 1 that sees Zippy the Chimp (Pvt. Harry Speakup) roller skate in.The expression on his face is priceless.
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have to agree, a bit like rewatching Morecambe and Wise. Humour is really laboured.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bilko is brilliant but I do agree that some episodes are very dated.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was watching last night's episode Song of the Motorpool and it wasn't until right near the end that I realised that the writers of Father Ted had basically used the same plot for their episode that took the mick out of the Eurovision Song Contest
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admire Silvers but it's very hit and miss, a lot of the episodes are very similar in plot.

I've been watching the I Love Lucy shows on Tube Ouy and I much prefer her style of comedy.
  • Options
    StaxVoltStaxVolt Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    There is nothing quite like Phil Silvers brilliantly ad-libbing,often leaving his fellow actors either desperately trying to keep a straight face or looking to each other with an amused expression as they wonder when they'll get back to the script.

E.g. - When the chimp (Harry Speakup) is being readied for courts-martial he suddenly gets up from the table and is attracted to the telephone behind him.Silvers' eagle eye spots this and opines ... "I think he's calling another lawyer!" ;-)

Re-watching for these ad-libs alone has me hooked again.
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bilko is brilliant but I do agree that some episodes are very dated.

I don't think the humour is dated at all. Obviously the situation is dated, but that's unavoidable.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »
    You cannot be serious. Funny is funny no matter what the decade it was made. perhaps you should try watching old clips maybe on you tube of Harold Lloyd Buster Keaton and even Bilko and see what real comedy is

BBC Two is even resorting to showing old repeats of Eggheads. Is this the only programme they can show at 6.00, a bunch of sneering pub quiz champions taking on pub quiz teams? I'm sure Bilko must be just as cheap to show now.