http://gonedigital.net/

Thin edge of the wedge for Digital Switch Over Part 2 :D
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Nigel Whitfield has posted up his interesting take on Ofcom's hidden agenda

http://gonedigital.net/

But it's not exactly a hidden agenda is it - if you read the documentation it is clear this is the strategy.

So although many here are downplaying the sale of the 700MHz spectrum, if the government can repeat the trick of the current 4G auction in 8 years time you can be damn sure they will.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see any hidden agenda. They're being pretty open about it and we've been discussing it here for some time.

We now know that the earliest the 700Mhz clearance will hapen is 2019. That's six years from now and it'll be virtually ten years since the first areas went through DSO, and the date might slip further. As far as I can see, it's still dependent on what happens elsewhere in Europe. If the rest of Europe agrees to clear broadcasting from that part of the spectrum it would be seen as odd if Ofcom said that the UK won't. They aren't leading this but can see which way the wind is blowing elsewhere and have drawn up plans accordingly.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    That purely to stop somebody sitting on the licence - it forces a launch within 12 months from the award.
    *cough* Sky *cough* ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    What will the new 10 HD be then?

BBC Three/CBBC
    BBC Four/CBeebies
    Channel 5
    Any if the UKTV channels maybe?

Any ideas?

Channel 4 will certainly have two channels, seeing as they have already produced a joint proposal.

I doubt if the BBC would entertain the idea of Channel 5, seeing as this is a time-limited proposal with a short time to go live (if you know what i mean ;))

As for any other channels, that might be up to Arqiva.

There may not even be the full 10 HD channels anyway.
  • Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting. Around here many people would have to switch from a grp c/d aerial to a wideband aerial plus a new box to receive the new channels from Mendip. This would certainly be an insentive for me to replace my STB's with HD or Mpeg4 boxes.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And here we go again with Sky spreading FUD.... "You'll need to sign up to keep your TV service"...
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    And here we go again with Sky spreading FUD.... "You'll need to sign up to keep your TV service"...
    Where did you get this from? Do you have a link?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    Where did you get this from? Do you have a link?

Isn't that something that some Sky Sales reps have reportedly said previously regarding DSO?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I am aware of that, but this claim was presented as something new, with nothing to back it up.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So a few extra channels for a few Lucky people. We saw this before. Why do they bother doing this? Why not Just get the new hardware in place over all the country then switch it on so everyone gets it once the power is switched on.
    Or Just use satellite, surely carrige cost must b a fraction the cost of all that new groundbased hardware.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    So a few extra channels for a few Lucky people. We saw this before. Why do they bother doing this? Why not Just get the new hardware in place over all the country then switch it on so everyone gets it once the power is switched on.
    Or Just use satellite, surely carrige cost must b a fraction the cost of all that new groundbased hardware.

They don't know for sure they're going to have to clear 700Mhz yet - if not, there's scope for a wider use of this part of the band but at the moment this is very much an opportunity for a limited period, probably at a cost to anyone taking it up - i.e it will not make a profit - so it has to be as inexpensive as possible.

Not ideal but better than nothing, and it might play a small part in speeding up the eventual changeover to DVB-T2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    Yes, I am aware of that, but this claim was presented as something new, with nothing to back it up.

I took it as something predicting what could happen based upon previous experience/evidence
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »

The BBC does not manage, build or upgrade the transmitters - commercial companies do.

And i would guess that, given the need to get this up and running asap, there would be no time to get a national upgrade/installtion programme planned and completed and leave enough time for the whole process to be worthwhile
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting. Around here many people would have to switch from a grp c/d aerial to a wideband aerial plus a new box to receive the new channels from Mendip. This would certainly be an insentive for me to replace my STB's with HD or Mpeg4 boxes.

C/D aerials might well work OK if the signal is reasonable - as this chart from Justin Aerial's site shows, their sensitivity drops off very gradually and they can be effective a long way below the part of the band they were intended for.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/tvaerialtests.html#AerialGroupsGraph
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I took it as something predicting what could happen based upon previous experience/evidence
    OK, it could be read that way I suppose but that's not how I read "here we go again".
  • Gary of BeestonGary of Beeston Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    If the Arqiva-BBC-C4 venture is the only bidder (which is quite likely), then we will see channels from C4 (probably up to two of More4/Film4/E4) and one BBC channel (BBC3 or BBC4), and possibly the return of 301 HD, plus whatever commercial channels Arqiva can get on board (Dave HD, QVC HD are good bets for starters).

I don't see 301 HD - a part-time channel, broadcasting stuff which isn't always in anything like HD (PQ on the old F1 tapes leaves something to be desired for example) as driving take-up of T2. And if the BBC had the money/will for BBC One HD, BBC Two HD & BBC HD we would have them already - the space is there, after all.

So it's more likely to be HD channels which don't yet exist, or which aren't tied in to long-term carriage deals with Sky, in my opinion.

But whatever they are, they have to be channels which make people *want* to swap over voluntarily, so that the threshold is reached at which point it becomes mandatory.

Gary
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    I don't see 301 HD - a part-time channel, broadcasting stuff which isn't always in anything like HD (PQ on the old F1 tapes leaves something to be desired for example) as driving take-up of T2. And if the BBC had the money/will for BBC One HD, BBC Two HD & BBC HD we would have them already - the space is there, after all.

So it's more likely to be HD channels which don't yet exist, or which aren't tied in to long-term carriage deals with Sky, in my opinion.

I'm just quoting from this: http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/uhf-strategy/responses/BBC_Channel_4_Arqiva.pdf
  • pzboyzpzboyz Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not convinced this is a veiled move to an SFN.

It just gives people more of a reason to get rid of the old DVB-T only receivers so that every MUX can be converted to T2/MPEG4 at some point. Showing there are more HD channels out there can only be a good thing, as long of course, as the improved bandwidth i used to maintain picture quality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pzboyz wrote: »
    Not convinced this is a veiled move to an SFN.

It just gives people more of a reason to get rid of the old DVB-T only receivers so that every MUX can be converted to T2/MPEG4 at some point. Showing there are more HD channels out there can only be a good thing, as long of course, as the improved bandwidth i used to maintain picture quality.

Well, this document makes it pretty clear that it is about encouraging the uptake of DVB-T2 kit, with a view to assisting the migration of homes from DVB-T to DVB-T2