Options

Lots of repeats however no Bilko

radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Will we ever get to see the brilliant Bilko episodes once more.

Comments

• Options
    data123data123 Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Will we ever get to see the brilliant Bilko episodes once more.

You can watch The Phil Silvers Show (Bilko) on Forces tv
    •Sky Channel 264
    •Virgin 244
    •Freesat 652
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully we won't have to endure Bilko ever again! Couldn't stand it.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    data123 wrote: »
    •Sky Channel 264
    •Virgin 244
    •Freesat 652

Thanks much appreciated.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    •Sky Channel 264
    •Virgin 244
    •Freesat 652

Week nights 7.25/7.30pm
    Gill P wrote: »
    Hopefully we won't have to endure Bilko ever again! Couldn't stand it.

You don't have to, there is no compulsion for you to watch it. I don't like Downton Abbey, Strictly or Gogglebox so I exercise my right not to view it and if I'm watching that TV channel when it comes on I simply reach for the remote and select another of the many channels available to me.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have satellite so I wish it was on freeview
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be surprised if all the eps weren't on U Toob.

They got all the I Love Lucy eps, some even in HD, with a downloader you can keep them all on a memory stick.

The good news is that all the US shows of that time were filmed in 35mm film so picture quality is guaranteed, unlike the BBC's Steptoe and Son, I bought the DVD boxset and the picture quality is utter crap.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    •Sky Channel 264
    •Virgin 244
    •Freesat 652

Excellent!! Just set the Sky+ box for this, pity there appears to be no series link but great to see the show again.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    •Sky Channel 264
    •Virgin 244
    •Freesat 652

Cheers for the heads up :)

Thought i'd mention that the complete series of The Phil Silvers Show was recently released a few weeks ago.I was originally going to buy the box set but at the Amazon price of £90 i'll hold off just now.
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the perceived issues with shows like Bilko is that as it was filmed in black and white many of the younger audiences may not watch it. personally I think that is a a load of nonsense. B&W is not sophisticated for todays audience

I love the old silent movies for example as well as Laurel and Hardy, and Harold Lloyd. The broadcasters seem to think that these would not get an audience hence why they never show them. What I would give to see all the old silent films etc again
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,407
    Forum Member
    I heard Barry Cryer on the radio recently saying Bilko has been remastered and there is a new boxset either out now or coming soon.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Bilko I love the bits where Phil Silvers is obviously ad libbing and the cast are struggling to keep up with him, you can see it in their eyes.I always remember the one where Bilko was flogging tickets for a Bing Crosby concert and, of course, everyone assumed it was a con. When Crosby came on it brought the house down.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,407
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    With Bilko I love the bits where Phil Silvers is obviously ad libbing and the cast are struggling to keep up with him, you can see it in their eyes.I always remember the one where Bilko was flogging tickets for a Bing Crosby concert and, of course, everyone assumed it was a con. When Crosby came on it brought the house down.

Harry Speakup !!!
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have satellite so I wish it was on freeview

Same here. And the box set is rather pricey. LOVED the series; used to watch it at ridiculous O'clock with my Dad in the 8O's. Absolute classic.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The episode with the chimps is great, Silver ad libs like mad and the rest of the cast have given up trying to keep a straight face.

I wonder if any of the main actors are still with us.
    Dick Van Dyke made a guest appearance in one episode.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    The episode with the chimps is great, Silver ad libs like mad and the rest of the cast have given up trying to keep a straight face.

I wonder if any of the main actors are still with us.
    Dick Van Dyke made a guest appearance in one episode.

Chimp singular, the Harry Speakup episode, whatever the real title was.

Fred Gwynne of Munsters fame was in the Eating contest episode, he was 'The Stomach' IIRC.
    Don't know if Fred is still with us though.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    owl61uk wrote: »
    One of the perceived issues with shows like Bilko is that as it was filmed in black and white many of the younger audiences may not watch it. personally I think that is a a load of nonsense. B&W is not sophisticated for todays audience

I love the old silent movies for example as well as Laurel and Hardy, and Harold Lloyd. The broadcasters seem to think that these would not get an audience hence why they never show them. What I would give to see all the old silent films etc again

Last time we discussed the lack of LnH on TV, the pre 86 MGM library is owned by Time Warner IIRC, so probably only turns up on one of their channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fred Gwynne of Munsters fame was in the Eating contest episode, he was 'The Stomach' IIRC.
    Don't know if Fred is still with us though.

Unfortunately he died back in 1993
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maurice Gosfield (Doberman) died in 1964
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey Freeman (Pvt. Fielding Zimmerman), who died on September 21, 2010, was the last surviving star of the series.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Last time we discussed the lack of LnH on TV, the pre 86 MGM library is owned by Time Warner IIRC, so probably only turns up on one of their channels.

We had a brief discussion about old b/w films/progs on the "movie premieres on terrestrial tv" thread in Broadcasting forum. Yes part of the issue nowadays is who has the rights to screen/distribute. I have found Lovefilm to be a reasonably good source of old b/w films.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same here. And the box set is rather pricey. LOVED the series; used to watch it at ridiculous O'clock with my Dad in the 8O's. Absolute classic.

Yes that's when I saw it, around that same time. I think I remember watching it in the evening though. perhaps on BBC2? I was very impressed by it. Of course due to the amazing Phil Silvers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You're right, of course it's a nonsense. I was introduced to all sorts of old black and white stuff as a kid back in the 70s and 80s, and loved loads of those shows.
    It was a strange time back then because TV channels didn't fear showing American television which was from several decades earlier. They were even showing old TV serials from as far back as the 1930 in the 1970s and 1980s. As a kid I didn't moan about things being old. To my eyes the black and white thing just came across as a different style. Which is really all it is.

I also loved watching the Laurel Hardy stuff, and especially the Harold Lloyd shorts. I even remember the theme song for that.

I think if people are averse to something which is old or black and white it's only because they've been educated by modern television to think that they should feel that way by TV making them not used to it and forcing tastes onto people. If you see it as quite normal, as I did when I was a kid, then if something is a quality show you're going to like it whenever it was first made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to remember maybe late 90's/early 00's Bilko repeats being shown on BBC2 weekday mornings.
  • Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    •Sky Channel 264
    •Virgin 244
    •Freesat 652

Thanks for that. Been wanting to see Bilko again for years. Must admit I've not even heard of this channel.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right, of course it's a nonsense. I was introduced to all sorts of old black and white stuff as a kid back in the 70s and 80s, and loved loads of those shows.
    It was a strange time back then because TV channels didn't fear showing American television which was from several decades earlier. They were even showing old TV serials from as far back as the 1930 in the 1970s and 1980s. As a kid I didn't moan about things being old. To my eyes the black and white thing just came across as a different style. Which is really all it is.

I also loved watching the Laurel Hardy stuff, and especially the Harold Lloyd shorts. I even remember the theme song for that.

I think if people are averse to something which is old or black and white it's only because they've been educated by modern television to think that they should feel that way by TV making them not used to it and forcing tastes onto people. If you see it as quite normal, as I did when I was a kid, then if something is a quality show you're going to like it whenever it was first made.
    I can remember in the early eighties BBC2 regularly showing the Phil Silvers Show ( sometimes made it to BBC1 late at night), Laurel and Hardy, Will Hay films and St Trinians films. I was in my early teens then and no one minded some of these shows were made in the thirties. Now all we seem to get is tedious Eggheads on a never ending loop.