Did Only Fools And Horses have a weak episode?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    I'd never call it a weak episode when it was the one where they won the millions. What better way to end a series about people striving to get rich! And one of the final scenes (where Del went back to the flat and heard all the voices from the past) was extremely moving as was the final realisation (after a quip from Rodney "Del can you hear me above those trousers") that Trotters Independent Traders had ceased trading. And then the final walk off into the sunset with Del still dreaming (this time of investing in the futures market). There couldn't be a better end to the series.

It was a good ending to a series. Del's dream of becoming a millionaire finally coming true.
    I suppose what I mean is, in my opinion it's a weak episode compered to ones from the early ones.
    Forum Member
    The 1990 xmas special which was mainly about these two was laugh-free but for the scene with Albert's mock horror.

What's the title of this episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stella28 wrote: »
    What's the title of this episode.

Rodney Come Home.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 1990 xmas special which was mainly about these two was laugh-free but for the scene with Albert's mock horror.

Some great drama in it though and a bit of humour. The emphasis on that episode though did tend to focus on the drama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C18au9FSxU

And Cassandra's "who the hell is Tanya" made me laugh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. I think by that stage John Sullivan had got used to writing 50 minute episodes and the audience were expecting 50 minute episodes so they just continued at that length even though (as you say) the material wasn't there. Wouldn't stop me watching them again though! But if I wanted a really good laugh I'd put an earlier series on (preferably one with Grandad (aka Leonard Pearce).

Hang on, what am I saying! Stage Fright was in Series 7 and it was one of the best ever written.

"How can I change the lywics to cwying? The bloody song's CALLED cwying". :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a good ending to a series. Del's dream of becoming a millionaire finally coming true.
    I suppose what I mean is, in my opinion it's a weak episode compered to ones from the early ones.

I 'd say the period 1985-89 was Sullivan at his peak with this series. To Hull and back, then three class xmas specials in a row, [Frog's legacy '87, Dates '88 & Jolly Boys outing '89]
    The first set of 50mins episodes is in this time also, and tellingly, the second 50mins batch was the other side of Rodney Come Home in 91. Sixth series ep 3 is totally out of place in this series 'Longest Night' about the supermarket hold up. the other five in 1986 were very good I thought.
  • War OnWar On Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the later episodes a bit poor when they first aired (being nice there) but when I see them now I actually don't find them too bad at all and think they just about hold their own.

I think my expectations were vey high the first couple of times around.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few I would consider to be weak - not totally rubbish, but weak nonetheless!!

Series 1 -
    Cash and Curry
    A Slow Bus To Chingford

Diamonds Are For Heather (1982 Christmas Special) is rather dull.

Series 4 -
    Hole In One

Series 5 was quite weak, IMO -
    From Prussia With Love
    The Miracle Of Peckham
    The Longest Night

A Royal Flush (1986 Christmas Special) was a strange one. The editors couldn't seem to get that one right, no matter how many versions they tried.

I always liked Miami Twice but having seen it repeated for the 1000th time I would now say it is a bit OTT and ridiculous. OFAH is better when it stays down to earth.

The 2001-03 trilogy shouldn't have happened and almost became a parody of its former self.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 'Miami Twice' is funny. I don't quite understand why it's so disliked. I don't really enjoy 'Royal Flush'. There's no laughter track and the version with one sounds so wrong and out of place. I don't particularly like the story and snobbery.

I'd say all the other episodes are wonderful. The worst one would probably still be better than something produced today.

BIB - for me, it has to 2 main reasons...1) The storyline in it, I mean, a double for Del who was the head of a mafia? I mean, is that the best they could come up with? and 2) Del and Rodney are out their comfort zone and, to me at least, feels like one of the newer episodes and is a sign of things to come and a downfall
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Diamonds are for Heather

Heather ''Its Vik'
    Del ''Is your nose blocked up''
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Diamonds are for Heather (1982 Christmas special) is rather dull"

Grandad on Old Shep "You can't enjoy yourself with a song about a dead dog"

"We were just talking about wallies"
    "Your name cropped up"

Rodney to Del "you must have spent a third of your life . standing in front of mirrors. My earliest childhood recollection is of you standing in front of a mirror... Up until I was 4 I thought you was twins".

"I remember what you said - that you liked solitaire diamonds so I thought I'd get her a cluster of solitaires."

Heather was like a prototype for Racquel (more well spoken than the sort of women you normally associate with Del) previously married but (unlike Racquel) with a child in tow.. There's even a scene in Diamonds are For Heather that is very much like that in Jolly Boys' Outing (where Del finds a man in Racquel's room). Still one of my favourites.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe I forgot Cash and Curry - it's one of the few episodes (along with Royal Flush and Miami Twice) that I happily skip on a re watch. Always thought it was almost gag-less and just didn't work.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't believe I forgot Cash and Curry - it's one of the few episodes (along with Royal Flush and Miami Twice) that I happily skip on a re watch. Always thought it was almost gag-less and just didn't work.
    Ending was good though, with the twist being that the two guys were conning Del all along.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Ending was good though, with the twist being that the two guys were conning Del all along.

Yeh, the best bit was the ending will give you that
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's everyone's favourite Series overall? For me Series 6 didnt have a weak episode and like ive said probably 6 of the finest episodes there will ever be of a TV comedy. After that I have to say its Series 2, again pretty much every episode is of great quality with the painting of the chinese takeaway being one of my favs

So my order of favourite Series

1-Series 6
    2-Series 2
    3-Series 3
    4-Series 7
    5-Series 4
    6-Series 5
    7-Series 1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    What's everyone's favourite Series overall? For me Series 6 didnt have a weak episode and like ive said probably 6 of the finest episodes there will ever be of a TV comedy. After that I have to say its Series 2, again pretty much every episode is of great quality with the painting of the chinese takeaway being one of my favs

So my order of favourite Series

1-Series 6
    2-Series 2
    3-Series 3
    4-Series 7
    5-Series 4
    6-Series 5
    7-Series 1
    Series 6, Series 3,Series 2,Series 4,Series 7,Series 5,Series 1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 2,
    Series 3
    Series 5
    Series 6
    Series 1
    Series 7
    Forum Member
    Rodney Come Home.

I don't remember that one.
  • fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never actually seen 'The Russians Are Coming' before, it's one of the very few episodes of OFAH I've never seen but I've noticed it's been frequently mentioned on this thread and elsewhere as being a poor episode. Is it really that bad? I'm tempted to buy it off iTunes and watch it for myself, is it worth it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember that one.
    Xmas 1990 special. It concentrated mainly on Rodney and Cassendra. It wasnt the best one they did, although the best bit was when Albert had to pretend to be shocked when Rodney was going to go out with another girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGQj38ksPw8 :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Series 6, Series 3,Series 2,Series 4,Series 7,Series 5,Series 1

Well there was one ep in series six that was hard to suspend disbelief as Rodney was supposed to be 14. Didn't really succeed in that the rest were class.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never actually seen 'The Russians Are Coming' before, it's one of the very few episodes of OFAH I've never seen but I've noticed it's been frequently mentioned on this thread and elsewhere as being a poor episode. Is it really that bad? I'm tempted to buy it off iTunes and watch it for myself, is it worth it?
    Isn't that great but the ending is funny.
    Forum Member
    I 'd say the period 1985-89 was Sullivan at his peak with this series. To Hull and back, then three class xmas specials in a row, [Frog's legacy '87, Dates '88 & Jolly Boys outing '89]
    The first set of 50mins episodes is in this time also, and tellingly, the second 50mins batch was the other side of Rodney Come Home in 91. Sixth series ep 3 is totally out of place in this series 'Longest Night' about the supermarket hold up. the other five in 1986 were very good I thought.

To Hull And Back is one of my favourites as well. When Rodney opens the back of Denzil's lorry and Del comes stumblig out gasping for air. :D That always makes me laugh.
    I vaguely remember Frog's Legacy. Something about their mums boyfriend, (Rodney's dad?) having hidden some money I think. I haven't seen that one for years.
    Can't remember the name of the episode, but the one where Del enteres one of Rodney's paintings into a competition and he wins is very funny. He ended up spending the whole holiday pretending he was 11 and having to join in with The Grooy Gang and go skateboarding, and falling of because of a "poksy lizard". :D Cassandra was in that one, but I still think it was one of the funniest ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 6 - not a single weak episode
    Series 2 - Huge improvement on 1
    Series 3 - pretty strong
    Series 7 - pretty good but not as sucessful in the 50 mins format as 6
    Series 4 - the loss of Grandad didn't stop the show being entertaining, some pretty good ones in 4
    Series 5 - Tea For Three is the clear highlight, the others are fairly mediocre
    Series 1 - A so so start for the show, average at best.
  • fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Series 6 - not a single weak episode
    Series 2 - Huge improvement on 1
    Series 3 - pretty strong
    Series 7 - pretty good but not as sucessful in the 50 mins format as 6
    Series 4 - the loss of Grandad didn't stop the show being entertaining, some pretty good ones in 4
    Series 5 - Tea For Three is the clear highlight, the others are fairly mediocre
    Series 1 - A so so start for the show, average at best.

Agree with the BIB, although I think 'The Second Time Around' was one of the best episodes, and that happens to be in Series One :)