Satelite Signal Dropping For Few Seconds

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
Forum Member
Can you help ?

Freesat signal keeps dropping to zero then regaining to full strength over a few minutes or so.

Symptoms are interference on Freesat channels and complete loss of signal only for it to regain itself a few seconds or minute or so later.

We had the dish realigned at the weekend by an engineer - it was prime suspect as it s bracket is rusted and it could move about. where we live it is a low trajectory ie it faces almost horizontal too.

Looks like a relatively new quad LNB

Tuner is integrated into the Panasonic TV

Adjusting the cable seemed to steady it for a few minutes but then it went back to cutting out. Connector to TV gets stretched occasionally when the TV viewing angle is altered but cable does give a clear and strong signal between the signal loss and it isnt being moved during operation.

I dont think the dish is moving around outside as it isnt windy when this happens and I am getting 8-10 on the signal strength according to the TVs Tuner software.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have any other satellite receiver? If so does that show the same symptoms? Using a second receiver is the only real way you can tell if it is the satellite dish/LNB/cable or the TV causing the drop outs.

Also what type of cable/plug are you using into the back of the telly? Is it a lead from the TV to a wall plate where the feed from the dish terminates or a direct lead from the dish with a plug fitted to the end of the cable?

If the latter then the quality of the fitting of the plug can have a real effect on reception. If it has not been terminated properly or has been tugged during use it can lead to dodgy intermittent connections. Especially if you move the TV as implied by the comment about stretching as the viewing angle is altered.

You can get problems with ready made leads such as those you might use between a wall plate and the TV. I have seen cables where the inner copper conductor has fractured in use, especially if it is subject to stretching and flexing.

So I would try a separate receiver if at all possible to eliminate the TV and also investigate the cable in the back of the TV. If necessary replace it and try to ensure there is no stretching of the cable if you move the TV.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Connector to TV gets stretched occasionally

Replace it. Once it's been stretched you can no longer rely on it. Fit a good quality cable of the correct length. WF65 is more flexible than WF100 but it's also more easily damaged, so take your pick.
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/cable.htm

You can also get moulded-plug leads that are even more flexible but have greater signal loss. However, that shouldn't matter for 1 metre.
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page7.htm#lead

BTW your symptom can also be caused by something such as as aeroplane or a crane moving across the signal path.