Options

Calling all playbook owners OS 2.0 is now available!!!

Comments

• Options
    John_ElwayJohn_Elway Posts: 5,121
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Wow. That's one funky demo.

I thought the same. I was like :eek:
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone found a decent podcast downloader/manager for the PB?
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a query if anyone can kindly answer it.
    I normally charge my PB from the supplied charger, but a few days ago I decided to charge it from the PC via the USB lead.
    I plugged it in and left the room. I came back a couple of hours later to find the PB on, draining the battery even further.
    I thoought perhaps I'd mistakenly left in on, so I switched it off and connected it for another USB charge. Blow me, it came on after a few minutes.
    What's going on?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Here's a query if anyone can kindly answer it.
    I normally charge my PB from the supplied charger, but a few days ago I decided to charge it from the PC via the USB lead.
    I plugged it in and left the room. I came back a couple of hours later to find the PB on, draining the battery even further.
    I thoought perhaps I'd mistakenly left in on, so I switched it off and connected it for another USB charge. Blow me, it came on after a few minutes.
    What's going on?

I don't think you can charge it just from the USB as it requires more power than that. I inadvertently left it 'charging' on my standard blackberry charger and it didn't charge at all.

The supplied charger provides more 'juice' than a standard USB trickle charger.
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Joe* wrote: »
    I don't think you can charge it just from the USB as it requires more power than that. I inadvertently left it 'charging' on my standard blackberry charger and it didn't charge at all.

Beat me to it, I was going to say the same. It's true, the supplied charger pumps out more juice than a phone charger or even more so than usb, which is weaker than using a standard wall charger.
  • Options
    sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Beat me to it, I was going to say the same. It's true, the supplied charger pumps out more juice than a phone charger or even more so than usb, which is weaker than using a standard wall charger.

No doubt its the next scam by companies, they are making micro usb a standard socket on tech, rather than their own, however you need their chargers to charge the things or they charge slower.

Archos is another one I have come across
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks all. Iknow the USB port cannot supply more than a couple of hundred mA, but surely that doesn't stop it charging completely, and the PB is OFF so it's not using any juice from the battery - and why would it cause the PB to start up?
  • Options
    ElectricWarriorElectricWarrior Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    iPlayer - yes we have

4OD - works via the website, not a specific app (remember playbook can use flash websites that the iPad can't).

Demand5 - works via the website

ITV Player - works via the website

Sky player - haven't tested

Google maps - there's an app for this, but I tend to use Bing maps app

National Rail - there are numerous train time apps, couldn't find a national rail one, but good mobile site, just make a bookmark on your desktop and it takes you straight in

onenote - hundreds of note taking apps in appworld, didn't check them all

Evernote - yes

GTA - No, Sim City - Yes, Scrabble - No, PVZ - Yes

Kindle - Yes

OED - More dictionary apps than you can shake a stick at, didn't check them all.

Dropbox - No, but there are numerous other cloud based storage apps.

The fact that the Playbook can render Flash and HTML5 properly means that there are many things it can do without needing dedicated 'apps' the iPad only needs a 4OD app, because it can't show the 4OD website properly, same goes for Youtube and many other video services.

There are a lot of apps on app world, and some big developers getting behind PlayBook (EA games has a lot of titles out already, and more to come).

I had an iPad before getting my PlayBook, I have since given the iPad to my mother (she loves it BTW), but I love my PlayBook. Not every product will be the best solution for everyone.

ETA: Dropbox is available on BlackBerry, so I would assume that it's coming soon to PlayBook

I am really interested in buying a playbook, but would want to be able to subscribe and watch Eurosport. I've enquired in my local Currys/PC World but couldn't get a conclusive answer. Any advice would be grateful?
  • Options
    sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really interested in buying a playbook, but would want to be able to subscribe and watch Eurosport. I've enquired in my local Currys/PC World but couldn't get a conclusive answer. Any advice would be grateful?

Dont see why not, if its like itv player etc, however i would email euro sport, would be good if you could get a trial period.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You really need to check with EuroSport. I see they have an online subscription http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk - but it's not clear what technology they use. You can use the Playbook with the standard BBC, ITV and Channel 4 players but it doesn't (yet) work with other services such as Netflix.

Edit - just found this: http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk/faq.shtml - it looks like they use MS Silverlight, in which case you won't be able to use a PB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a new update for the latest Playbook 2.0 OS. Offers up some bug fixes and performance tweaks. The browser feels snappier and more responsive now. As does navigating the menus and the Android player loads apps very fast now with less lag and errors. Not a spectacular update, but RIM seem to be doing the right thing. Quite happy with it, as far as updates go.

Anyone else noticed anything else post update?
  • Options
    John_ElwayJohn_Elway Posts: 5,121
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    There is a new update for the latest Playbook 2.0 OS. Offers up some bug fixes and performance tweaks. The browser feels snappier and more responsive now. As does navigating the menus and the Android player loads apps very fast now with less lag and errors. Not a spectacular update, but RIM seem to be doing the right thing. Quite happy with it, as far as updates go.

Anyone else noticed anything else post update?

My bootup time is a bit quicker
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same here John. The last update seemed to make the bootup slower, but now it's back to normal.
    The power button has been taken off the main page, but you can just click the battery icon instead.
  • Options
    Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here John. The last update seemed to make the bootup slower, but now it's back to normal.
    The power button has been taken off the main page, but you can just click the battery icon instead.

Haven't they removed side-loading?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Haven't they removed side-loading?

I don't think so but i've not tried to sideload yet since the update.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a rather confusing article about side-loading here:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/041012-blackberry-sideloads-258146.html

The answer appears to be yes...er no, possibly a bit.
  • Options
    RealaleRealale Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    Sideloading is fine, my Kindle app still works brilliantly. I think the new update has been pretty good, everything seems more stable.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    What advantages/disadvantages are there over an Android tablet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Realale wrote: »
    Sideloading is fine, my Kindle app still works brilliantly. I think the new update has been pretty good, everything seems more stable.

Yep I haven't had a browser crash yet, so all good so far. Just so much smoother and snappier. It's getting there! slowly but surely. More apps being added all the time too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there is anyone after a good case and doesn't wanna pay over the odds for one, just bought this from amazon for under 4 quid! arrived today. Very good case, does the job, and doubles up as a stand, can't fault it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DELUXE-BLACK-LEATHER-BLACKBERRY-PLAYBOOK/dp/B005SC6X06/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335358037&sr=8-2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since the update, I've noticed it takes a lot longer to recognise it's been plugged into the PC via USB. No great problem, but after its fairly speedy response it is a little annoying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone updated from 2.0.0.7971 to Version 2.0.1.358? (Which is a 503MB download)

Any advantages/disadvantages?
    Does anyone know what the improvements are?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I updated to 358 last week. I think it's mainly bug-fixes. The power button has been removed and the browser is less crash-prone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I updated to 358 last week. I think it's mainly bug-fixes. The power button has been removed and the browser is less crash-prone.

pretty much that really, my browser has not crashed since the update. the os just feels smoother overall and android player is more stable and loads apps quicker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a load of moaning over on the PB support forum about not being able to connect by USB since installing the update.
    Someone there is telling everyone that you have to turn the wifi off or it won't recognise the USB connection.
    I transfer lots of PDF & text files from my PC to PB and never turn off the wifi.:confused:
    I must say that since the update it is taking longer for the PC to 'see' the PB and assign drive Z, but it's not more than 20 secs.