Options

Anyone else hate COD?

Comments

• Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I played the first one and quite liked it, although it seemed a bit simplistic compared to the Conflict series of tactical squad shooters, which were the only military games I'd played up until then. In the Conflict games, you had to use your squad tactically, keep all soldiers alive, could issue orders, split the squad up into fire teams, take control of individual soldiers etc etc. This gave the games so much more depth than CoD, where it didn't matter if your fellow soldiers got wasted and it was just repetitive run-and-gun gameplay with no tactics, albeit in different environments with nice graphics.

Frankly, I'm staggered that it's become so popular but I guess that's because of the multiplayer angle and the fact that, at heart, everyone likes playing cowboys and indians. Incidentally, are there any examples of a good console-based (or even PC-based) tactical squad shooter out there? Something like Conflict: Vietnam would be fantastic with up-to-date graphics.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    I can think of lots , Borderlands being just one. Ok it sold well but its more of a cult game (spread by word of mouth). How are smaller games like this meant to get noticed when the juggernauts like COD come out.

So basically you hate CoD because it gets in the way of innovation and new games but when pushed to name a few games, you choose borderlands a game which was release a month before that years CoD and sold enough to warrant a sequel hmmm...fast beginning a useless argument of your part now

Ok so CoD really exploded with modern warfare in 2007, so what games each november that where amazing, new and innovative did CoD kill each year
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    So basically you hate CoD because it gets in the way of innovation and new games but when pushed to name a few games, you choose borderlands a game which was release a month before that years CoD and sold enough to warrant a sequel hmmm...fast beginning a useless argument of your part now

Ok so CoD really exploded with modern warfare in 2007, so what games each november that where amazing, new and innovative did CoD kill each year
    Ok bad example actually, but games like Enslaved and Binary Domain are better examples, highly doubt they will get sequels as everyone is so fixated on COD franchise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok bad example actually, but games like Enslaved and Binary Domain are better examples, highly doubt they will get sequels as everyone is so fixated on COD franchise.

But this is just not true these game didn't fail because of CoD, again enslaved came out in october and binary code was in released in feburary, cod would not effect sales of either

its fast looking like you hate cod just to hate cod, which was the last cod you spent a serious amount of time on?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I do. I prefer Haddock ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Its terrible and I hate myself for buying it, which before you all jump down my neck about was because my friends like playing it and I get a free copy sent to me in a couple of weeks to make up for the credit spent on it.

It's the same dire nonsense it has been for far to long now. At least Halo made the effort to up the engine a bit and make, quite frankly a nice looking game, with a decent, edgy story.

But Blops 2 really is the same nonsense and vet frankly is a joke. It used to have some prestige to finish it on vet but I was walking through it last night as if it was on easy mode I really had to check!

The spawning system online is as broken as ever. I even shot two guys last night only for them to spawn right in front of me again!!

Oh and the campers .... just laying down at the top of the stairs, what goes through their minds seriously??!!

The whole experience caused me so much pain at one point I swear I was suffering from internal bleeding because of it!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's be honest here. It doesn't matter how dire the game becomes. It will sell in droves.

I liked Mod, Mod 2 and Mod 3, I don't do the SP campaign anymore. I stick to TDM or Ground War. Wasn't too keen on Blops and i'm still waiting on Blops 2 being delivered.
  • Options
    caz06caz06 Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why doesn't the OP start another thread about all the fifas, wwes, battlefields, assasin creeds and halos that a churned out year on year, because their all the same games but just updated a little, you shouldn't single out a certain franchise when their are plenty others to be given the same problems for,

its the game companys fault for not wanting their game to shine and they think they can compete with the likes of cods and fifas, i mean look at capcom, they brought forward the release date for RE6 so it could have a better chance at doing well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COD will always have it's haters. oh it's the same shit over and over again blah blah blah. It would be a boring world if we all liked the same things.
  • Options
    sheep88sheep88 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't hate COD it's just not my thing mind you i thought Uncharted and Assassins creed series weren't but i enjoy playing both. Can't see me buying a COD game in the near future because i'm just not interested at the minute but you never know it may happen one day stranger things have. I don't like the Infamous games i played the first one and got bored but i'm sure there are people out there who love them.
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no other multiplayer to play...I agree it stops better games and innovation but when you just want a bit of a laugh and natter then cod is the game to play...I save serious games for when I play on my own. If cod didnt come out I would be playing halo 4 even though I don't really like halo it would be a multiplayer I could play with different people. It's a good game but gets a bad rap because like companies like McDonald's and Starbucks we just can't live without them.
  • Options
    TXF0429TXF0429 Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do, I just find the concept very one-dimensional. You shoot and kill people. That's it, isn't it?

Then again, I'm a fan of FIFA, so perfectly happy to accept that I'm a hypocrite! :D
  • Options
    HypnosHypnos Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but it peaked for me with MW2, Black Ops and MW3 were a bit meh for me. Im enjoying Halo 4 as my mulitiplayer game of choice ATM.

Do agree a lot of good games dont sell enough these days, Alan Wake being a good example for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TXF0429 wrote: »
    I do, I just find the concept very one-dimensional. You shoot and kill people. That's it, isn't it?

Then again, I'm a fan of FIFA, so perfectly happy to accept that I'm a hypocrite! :D

It irritates me when thats all people do in certain game modes. If you wanna rack up kills then I wish they'd play Team Deathmatch.

I like domination, but sometimes you get people that don't capture the points and just run around killing the other team without trying to gain progress towards the team goal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    TXF0429 wrote: »

I can accept a new FIFA every year, for the fact that it keeps it current - see how not having licensing has harmed Pro Evo. But for FPS very little has changed since Quake 2 tbh.

The games people have mentioned so far - EA and Activision - the companies behind them both are main problem imo, milking their cash cows for all they're worth.
  • Options
    logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember trading in the last COD game not long after release, the assistant in game said " not for you?" i said something like " I'm fed up gettin shot in the back..multiplayer is just the same over and over". He went "yeah they are pretty dire"!! He was the first person i'd met who had something negative to say about it!

Playing the multiplayer on Sniper Elite V2 is an absolute joy for anyone wnting a bit more meat in their shooting games...When you get killed in that game it's through your own carelessness, and when you make a kill, it's very very satisfying!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no one forces us to buy these games. It's our choice to do so and it's the same with their dlc.EA and Activision both know they're onto a winner with their games so milk them for all they can get.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no other multiplayer to play...I agree it stops better games and innovation but when you just want a bit of a laugh and natter then cod is the game to play...I save serious games for when I play on my own. If cod didnt come out I would be playing halo 4 even though I don't really like halo it would be a multiplayer I could play with different people. It's a good game but gets a bad rap because like companies like McDonald's and Starbucks we just can't live without them.
    This is exactly what I am talking about, thank you! :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or is it just me. Just pisses me off when the games get released that better more innovative games get vastly overlooked , and it really is the most boring, generic game you can get.

Why do you care that, in your opinion, more innovative games get overlooked. The fact that these innovatve games are available is all that should matter, right?

That said, playing online is a bit samey. Withe MW3, I just stuck with the missions. After 5 minutes of online play, I was like "meh".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No why?

How have you come to the conclusion then that's it's boring and generic? I've not bought it either, but certainly aren't in a position to judge it.
  • Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    AcidVenus wrote: »
    It irritates me when thats all people do in certain game modes. If you wanna rack up kills then I wish they'd play Team Deathmatch.

I like domination, but sometimes you get people that don't capture the points and just run around killing the other team without trying to gain progress towards the team goal.

This ^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is exactly what I am talking about, thank you! :cool:

So why can nobody name these games then, i mean toonarmy you just named games released months from CoD that were apparently still hurt by it, so please just a copy of games that where killed by cod and where innovative
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of innovative games require money to make them good. Smaller developers have nothing to lose really they are not bound by the deadlines that companies like EA put on them . I guess if you want innovation go to Japan ! There are some pretty funky games in Japan !
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hate it, just think its being 'done'

no room for innovation with cod games anymore, we've seen the best it has to offer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    How have you come to the conclusion then that's it's boring and generic? I've not bought it either, but certainly aren't in a position to judge it.
    Because I have actually played it at a mates house.