Options

The Double

Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
Forum Member
This is Richard Ayoade's second feature film. He's probably better known to most of us as Moss, the socially inept IT nerd from the excellent The IT Crowd TV comedy series.

Jesse Eisenberg plays Simon James, a clerk working in a gloomy dystopian office, whose life is overtuned when a successful, gregarious doppelganger appears.

It's based on a Dostoevsky novella and I really wanted to like it but it just doesn't work. The attempts at comedy fall flat, the screenplay is dull and Eisenberg is hopeless at conveying either the passive drippiness of Simon James or the confidence of the eponymous double, James Simon.

Ayoade's influences aren't just in the film; they seem to actually comprise the film. The set design is ripped off from 1984 (all retro 1940s styling) , the intrusive whooshing sound effects are from Eraserhead and the lighting is also David Lynch-lite. This is all (unoriginal) style and no substance. It's like a film studies student's end of year project but feature-length.

I stuck it out for an hour but it just did not get any better. It did make me want to read the book but that's about all. Avoid.

Comments

• Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen it. Jesse Eisenberg is very good, both as Simon James and his double James Simon. It's an interesting film, it's smart and clever but overall left me feeling cold. Didn't really have a lot to say once it was over.

Best scene in the film is when both Jesse's are in the diner ordering food. That was a cracker lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I've seen it. Jesse Eisenberg is very good, both as Simon James and his double James Simon. It's an interesting film, it's smart and clever but overall left me feeling cold. Didn't really have a lot to say once it was over.

Best scene in the film is when both Jesse's are in the diner ordering food. That was a cracker lol.

Y'see, that scene just didn't work for me at all. As you say, it's a key scene where the ineffectualness of Simon is juxtaposed with the charm and effectiveness of James and it just falls flatter than a 'comedy' moment in Eastenders. :cry:
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Y'see, that scene just didn't work for me at all. As you say, it's a key scene where the ineffectualness of Simon is juxtaposed with the charm and effectiveness of James and it just falls flatter than a 'comedy' moment in Eastenders. :cry:

Personally i found it quite funny to be honest. It'll probably be a marmite film for anyone who sees it. The critics on The Review Show didn't seem to make much of it either.
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i kind of liked it but it left me cold

i find jesse eisenberg quite hot in a strange way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PJ68 wrote: »
    i kind of liked it but it left me cold

i find jesse eisenberg quite hot in a strange way

He kinda reminded me of Simon Amstell's better-looking brother, for some reason...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Personally i found it quite funny to be honest. It'll probably be a marmite film for anyone who sees it. The critics on The Review Show didn't seem to make much of it either.

The reviews I've seen have been very polarised. Peter Bradshaw rates it highly:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/apr/03/the-double-review-richard-ayoade

but my own feelings are more in line with Ryan Gilbey in New Statesman:

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2014/04/case-homage-overload-double-richard-ayoade
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this film and would have to say now that I think it's very underrated. Granted that it isn't entirely original but most films show their influences. I liked the tone of the film. It was all very eerie and obviously Ayoade has watched plenty of David Lynch.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Yeah - I saw it awhile back at the Odeon Panton Street(note to Odeon fix the broken seat in screen 1 - it's been broken for ages now! Also - don't close it down - as it's your main arthouse cinema in London) - it's an interesting film. It's very loosely based on the book - don't expect a faithful adaptation - it's more of an interpretation. It borrows a lot from Brazil and Terry Gilliam. I liked it - and thought that Jesse Eisenberg was very good in it - but, it was perhaps a bit derivative and predictable.