Oct 23rd 6pm UK time Apple live event discussion

Oct 23rd 6pm UK time Apple live event discussion

Assuming as usual it will not be streamed live.
Good places to follow the live event;

The Verge
TWiT

Some nice colorful pictures of the decorated Californian theatre here

Rumoured:
iPad mini
New iPad update
iBooks update

Of course, a Microsoft event at the end of this week, another next week and a Google one next week too.
Its an interesting couple of weeks for us all. Excited :)

Comments

• VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just wonder if they've any surprises. The ipad mini is well and truly out of the bag!

They're all getting ready for a busy 'holiday season' this year what with Apple, Google, Amazon and Microsoft all having interesting products.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why is it they don't stream live? Not like they're stopping journos posting every word said in realtime.....
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    starting a live event discussion 24 hours ahead of the event :eek:

is that the online equivalent of queing around the block :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    starting a live event discussion 24 hours ahead of the event :eek:

is that the online equivalent of queuing around the block :D

HaHa, nice one, I thought get in there early and it might reduce the 30 other threads we had for this type of event we had last time, that never helps anybody.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    HaHa, nice one, I thought get in there early and it might reduce the 30 other threads we had for this type of event we had last time, that never helps anybody.

Im far from an Apple fan but i still follow announcements by all manufacturers with interest.

It will certainly be an interesting one tomorrow. I think its pretty well known what is going to be announced - but the price point will be the big thing to note.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I said in another thread, there's a big gap in the market for a portable 3G tablet. However, it looks like Google will be releasing a 3G version of the Nexus 7 too.
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I wonder when and if Apple will announce their much rumoured Television service soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will certainly be an interesting one tomorrow. I think its pretty well known what is going to be announced - but the price point will be the big thing to note.

I'm interested in dimensions and resolution.

If they stick with ipad ratio, it looks like it will be too big to fit in a jacket pocket, making it much less portable than the other 7"ers. If they go for a scaled up iphone 5 shape (unlikely according to the rumours) this is much less of an issue.

if they stick with ipad 2 resolution (1024x768) that's below their competitors. Can't see them going up to ipad 3 resolution though! So another resolution in the supposedly fragmentation-free ecosystem?
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    As I said in another thread, there's a big gap in the market for a portable 3G tablet. However, it looks like Google will be releasing a 3G version of the Nexus 7 too.

Never mind about 3G, what about 4G?
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »
    I wonder when and if Apple will announce their much rumoured Television service soon.

I hope they don't! I couldn't cope with them patenting the television. :D
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,828
    Forum Member
    Retina display could kill HDTV if done right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -ajm- wrote: »

huh? how would that work? :confused:
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I'm interested in dimensions and resolution.

If they stick with ipad ratio, it looks like it will be too big to fit in a jacket pocket, making it much less portable than the other 7"ers. If they go for a scaled up iphone 5 shape (unlikely according to the rumours) this is much less of an issue.

if they stick with ipad 2 resolution (1024x768) that's below their competitors. Can't see them going up to ipad 3 resolution though! So another resolution in the supposedly fragmentation-free ecosystem?

If you follow apples logic (the smaller the device the closer you hold it, thus the higher PPI count), it should fall between the iphone5 PPI (326) and the ipad3 PPI (264). Yes you would end up with more fragmentation. Unless they plan to do what they did with the iphone 5, and display apps (i.e. those not written specifically for the iphone 5) with a black bar above and below. But yes, it will be interesting to see what they do.

Its also worth noting, according to rumours Google will announce a Nexus 10" tablet next week, with a 300PPI. Thats quite a bit higher than the ipad3,
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind about 3G, what about 4G?

If this is an iPad Mini, isn't there a good chance it'll have the same 4G radio as the iPhone 5 (which will still only work for current frequencies)?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, but that would still be better than the 4G LTE support on the (current) iPad 3, which only works in North America.

There are strong rumours that the iPad 3 will also be getting a minor refresh, to change the connector to the new "Lightning" port and to give it the same 4G LTE support as the iPhone 5.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

:confused: What are you on about?
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't 'retina' defined by not being able to discern individual pixels at normal viewing distance? 1080p at normal viewing distance is pretty much Retina anyway surely as you're typically much further away from a TV screen then a phone/tablet? Also HDTV is a standard which all broadcasters and equipment makers can all work with.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im far from an Apple fan but i still follow announcements by all manufacturers with interest.

Lets start the guessing, I think the prices will be:

16GB Wi-Fi - £269
    32GB Wi-Fi - £349
    64GB Wi-Fi - £429

16GB 4G - £369
    32GB 4G - £449
    64GB 4G - £529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DS are reporting (from 9to5mac) - $329 for an entry 8 GB model

http://9to5mac.com/2012/10/20/apples-smaller-ipad-to-likely-start-at-a-minimum-of-329-in-the-u-s/

not sure where 8GB comes from, its not in the 9to5 article....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personal opinion, I can't see how they can pitch it cheaper than the ipod touch, so there's not that much wiggle room.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personal opinion, I can't see how they can pitch it cheaper than the ipod touch, so there's not that much wiggle room.

This is why my guess was £269, it would be more expensive than in iPod Touch but cheaper than an iPad 2. I guess we will see later today of my guesses were correct lol.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Lets start the guessing, I think the prices will be:

16GB Wi-Fi - £269
    32GB Wi-Fi - £349
    64GB Wi-Fi - £429

16GB 4G - £369
    32GB 4G - £449
    64GB 4G - £529

I dont follow apples pricing so not going to comment on your guesses. However £350+ does seem a hell of a lot of money for a 7" tablet. Would someone spend that much on a 7" tablet? especially when the kindle fire and nexus can be bought for a lot cheaper. True they may not have 4G capability and more GBs, but would that bother most people?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    I hope they don't! I couldn't cope with them patenting the television. :D

What would it be called? The iTelly? :D *dons black turtleneck*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They nearly got in trouble with a UK broadcaster for trying to go for iTV
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    They nearly got in trouble with a UK broadcaster for trying to go for iTV

I remember that :D So what could they call their telly then?