Range Extender

Comments

• OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    yet they are approved for sale in the UK.
    seems to be a very select one (or few) that peddle this nonsense.

Well a few radio hams and some short wave listeners I think don't like them meanwhile the rest of the world enjoy effortless networking around the home :D
  • cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    The wireless worked for a while then decided to fair (this was used with the range extenders). With the Repeater, it was able to get a solid connection throughout the house from repeating the signal from the BT Home Hub but refused to load any web pages.

Another solution is to take the existing phone line from the shop and extend it into the house through the attic and out into the 2nd lounge of the house where there is a phone port (thus making it a Master Socket) and then moving the BT Home Hub from the shop into the house.

Will this enable Broadband in the house

This is his only solution to get WIFI from the shop to the house
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edit: deleted my answer as I realised that in post 7 I said I was out and I'm a man of my word :D

sorry someone else can solve this problem for Craig!
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cmorris wrote: »
    The wireless worked for a while then decided to fair (this was used with the range extenders). With the Repeater, it was able to get a solid connection throughout the house from repeating the signal from the BT Home Hub but refused to load any web pages.

Another solution is to take the existing phone line from the shop and extend it into the house through the attic and out into the 2nd lounge of the house where there is a phone port (thus making it a Master Socket) and then moving the BT Home Hub from the shop into the house.

Will this enable Broadband in the house

This is his only solution to get WIFI from the shop to the house
    But that will not solve the problem of being able to use WiFi in both the shop and the house.

If you cannot use the WiFi in the house with the Hub in the shop then you will not be able to use the WiFi in the shop with the Hub in the house.
    Forum Member
    The shop is irrelevant now as he really needs it in the house and he did it in the shop just to try it but as the family live in the house it makes more sense and they want it in the house more than the shop.

If this is done will they get Broadband in the house but NOT in the shop
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    If you are able to run an Ethernet cable from the shop to his house, then it is easy to simply connect another access point to the router, There are many guides on how to do this on the web.

I have to agree that a wired connection from the modem (wherever it is) to one or more wireless access points is the answer. HomePlugs are another option if the shop and the house share a ring main.

In my parents house they have a wireless router just on the other side of a chimney from their TV, Xbox etc. and the wireless signal does not penetrate. In some environments there is no choice but to use a wired link.
    Forum Member
    Ok but refer to my other question of taking the existing shop phone line and extending it to the house through roof and into the 2nd lounge of house, then putting router on that socket
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was me i'd probably drill a hole into the house from the shop and feed a cable to a cheap wireless router in the house with dhcp off and same ssid/password and probably job done....time taken 5 mins on setting up the router and then the rest of the time would be spent finding a good spot to drill a small hole and run a piece of cable followed by sticking ones feet up and saying job done

that does assume you have a masonry drill and a bit big enough and long enough to get through a wall or a smaller bit but some exterior grade cable to nip out of a window frame and back in and you're allowed to use power tools
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorry someone else can solve this problem for Craig!

i'll solve it, but i'll be charging £30 an hour to do so.
    i'm assuming the OP is charging his client also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    i'll solve it, but i'll be charging £30 an hour to do so.
    i'm assuming the OP is charging his client also.
    My rates are £25 per hour :p
    Forum Member
    Yes I am but he's doing the cabling, I am just resetting it up. I charge by how big or small the job is.

Can you tell me will this work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will work. As long as he removes the old wiring from the back of the socket before attaching the new cable if re-using an existing socket. Or installs a brand new socket just for this.

However I'm not entirely sure how legit it is to extend a phone line going into one property into a separate property. I believe that at one time it certainly was the case that BT would chop your hands off if you tried that on. And of course they could use it as an excuse not to fix a fault for free when they otherwise might have done.

Another option might be to extend the RJ11 lead from the ADSL filter to the router. That way the phone line stays in the shop and you've just extended the router next door. It would be more or less the same electrically and doesn't require any connections into the backs of the sockets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    running that much cables going to lead to signal degradation as its going to be probably in the region of running 100-150 feet of extra cable (and cheap/crap cable at that) depending on the layouts picking up stray interference from being run right next to mains cables as well i bet..remember the KISS principle.

leave the router where it is servicing the shop and just run a cat 5 cable from it to a 2nd router in the house via a simpler route as if theres any problems with the line the ISP will take one look at it and blame the setup
    Forum Member
    Its going through the loft. Plus they are going to require a phone line anyway. Plus he installed the lines in the shop. Once its all in and I move the router. All the lights will stay on the router and they can use the Internet.

They don't actually need broadband in the shop plus they want to keep the number as well. We had two lines which gave use two numbers, now we have 1 line we have 1 number.

This was his solution not mine
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easiest way is actually think of how best to site your wireless access points, plan the network using hubs etc where necessary - then hook in your router - with the wireless interface OFF.. and rely on the wireless access points on the twisted-pair metwork that spans both shop and home.

The RJ11 line needs to be kept short - RJ45 to another hub would be a more reliable solution..
    Forum Member
    Ok well he required a line into his house so I am letting himdo this first then we can see what happens - it should get him broadband?
  • Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok well he required a line into his house so I am letting himdo this first then we can see what happens - it should get him broadband?

If he's capable to go around drilling holes and installing cabling then why on earth does he need your help setting up broadband? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His idea of running that much extension lead is daft (to put it politely), a much more simple and easier to maintain method is to site the router in the shop where it'll be as close to the master socket and should there be any line problems you wont have to arse around disconnecting stuff and proving to the isp that his cabling isn't at fault for which it will take a letter signed by God himself for them to believe it

and a subtle tip...don't always accept a job ..if he's got a crap idea let him know it and let someone else spend their effort trying to make his pigs ear into a silk purse

I'd of had it reasonably done in less than an hour ...drill hole, feed cat 5 cable to next door, connect up 2nd router and set it up followed by tidying up by clipping cables and removing the crap from the drilling and collected money and been home saying that was an easy 30 quid to the mrs
    Forum Member
    He only required my help to set the thing up. The router will then be in the house, where the socket will be turned into a master one. They have NO need for it in the shop, I don't know why they did that.

Anyway my question still remains will he get broadband??
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    His idea of running that much extension lead is daft (to put it politely), a much more simple and easier to maintain method is to site the router in the shop where it'll be as close to the master socket and should there be any line problems you wont have to arse around disconnecting stuff and proving to the isp that his cabling isn't at fault for which it will take a letter signed by God himself for them to believe it

and a subtle tip...don't always accept a job ..if he's got a crap idea let him know it and let someone else spend their effort trying to make his pigs ear into a silk purse

I'd of had it reasonably done in less than an hour ...drill hole, feed cat 5 cable to next door, connect up 2nd router and set it up followed by tidying up by clipping cables and removing the crap from the drilling and collected money and been home saying that was an easy 30 quid to the mrs
    Better to go for a hub and 2nd wireless access point.. rather than having to reconfig a router.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He only required my help to set the thing up. The router will then be in the house, where the socket will be turned into a master one. They have NO need for it in the shop, I don't know why they did that.

OK.

It will probably work. Impossible to say for certain as we don't know his level of competence and to what standard he will do the job.

The socket on the end of the cable will not be a master. The master is where the incoming BT cable terminates. Every other socket is a secondary, even if you use a "master" type socket on it.

And again I'm not convinced running an extension into a second property is entirely legit. I would not be all that surprised if BT use it as an excuse to charge for faults in the future. If it doesn't actually break the T&Cs of his service of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

who knows, since he wants voice and data routed to the new property i'd perhaps recommend using STP cat 5/6 cable and modtaps at either end but the length is such that signal degradation will be a factor and theres not a lot you can do with such a long cable run going up and back down via the loft
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Better to go for a hub and 2nd wireless access point.. rather than having to reconfig a router.

I'd want to leave the ISP router on the premises just to act as a dumb hub for routing the data to the one in the next property, but these things always get messy as theres many ways to skin a cat
    Forum Member
    He said he could change the Phone socket into Master. Plus its the main socket into the house from outside. I can remember we had to change the master from downstairs to upstairs due to broadband no being able to work downstairs - once moved it worked seamlessly.