Options

Tourettes - I Swear I Can't Help It - BBC1 Tonight

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
Forum Member
Anyone else looking forward to this?

I know I probably shouldn't laugh, but looks like it could be funny as well as informative:

http://channelhopping.onthebox.com/2009/05/28/tourettes-i-swear-i-cant-help-it-review-tics-all-the-boxes/

Comments

• Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That has to be one of the stupidest titles for a TV programme I've ever heard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Well I'll definitely be ****ing watching it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Woof!
  • Options
    hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching it now. 2 mins behind though.

It must be horrible to have it, but i have to admit i laughed when the boy shouted out Ready Steady Cook :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so the older guy has held down a job for 19 years, & does community work

there are loads of people in this country who do sod all & moan if the benefits payment is late

i know who i respect more
  • Options
    ExaminusExaminus Posts: 22,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing that little boy is a bit disturbing, but other than that it is quite funny. :o

"Aww, shake paw...that's nice****"

Here's an idea: PUT THE DOG ON A LEAD.
  • Options
    hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edgexedge wrote: »
    so the older guy has held down a job for 19 years, & does community work

there are loads of people in this country who do sod all & moan if the benefits payment is late

i know who i respect more

Totally with you there. At least he is doing all he can, is holding down a job fine. Good on him :)
    Examinus wrote: »
    Seeing that little boy is a bit disturbing, but other than that it is quite funny. :o

"Aww, shake paw...that's nice****"

Here's an idea: PUT THE DOG ON A LEAD.

:D I was thinking the exact same thing
  • Options
    vaughny,vaughny, Posts: 3,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fuk off, nosey. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG this is a documentary when i saw the advert and the guy hitting the woman in the face I thought it was a comedy show LOL
  • Options
    Iver HardyIver Hardy Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    Chicken
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arthur Daily! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here are some Top Tourettes Tips:

Knives make you stabby - don't use knives
    Alcohol makes your ticks worse - don't drink
    You tell your dog to run into traffic - put it on a lead
  • Options
    Iver HardyIver Hardy Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    Chopper dyes his pubes ginger
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    It's awful that it's so funny to watch - it must be so hard to deal with having Tourettes. I hope that with so much publicity about it, people are becoming more aware and not putting it down to rudeness, as that seems to be the most upsetting thing for sufferers, the fact that they may be upsetting other people.

During the CAB lady's talk around the table, I was just in stitches because I've had those thoughts and it's easy to keep a lid on them but to hear them all just come out one by one was refreshing.

I hope people with Tourettes don't feel like people are laughing at them rather than with them, it's unnatural not to find the tics and randomness of comments funny.

It's a sad programme too, it's hard hearing the guy talking about how he misses having someone special in his life..
  • Options
    gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Examinus wrote: »
    Arthur Daily! :D

That was a classic moment:- CAB Lady "...minder...". "Arthur Daley"

As someone posted above, we are laughing at the tic NOT the person.

Also LOL when the kid at school made the Family Fortunes "neh-neh" noise!

Bit bad in the shop at the beginning though when John said "Chinky" :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After reading this thread, I must iPlayer this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    II watched this program and felt very moved by the people with the disorder. It brought a tear to my eye.
    BBC always have the best documentarys.
  • Options
    cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bit that really got to me was the clip from the earlier documentary, when the teenage John was trying to keep his tics in check around the dinner table with the family. You could just feel the overwhelming sense of pressure he was feeling, weighing down like a huge cloud hovering over his head, which of course was the very thing most likely to trigger off the tics.

It was heartwarming to see the contrast with the more relaxed adult John enjoying dinner in a much more laid-back way with the family who accepted his tics so warmly. It just goes to show how important it is to be relaxed and non-stressed about it. I felt quite moved.

The young boy was an inspiration, too. What a lovely bloke, and obviously highly intelligent and switched on.
  • Options
    Nik01Nik01 Posts: 9,947
    Forum Member
    i remember watching all the other programmes about John, you do feel for him as it seems that his family dont really give a toss

its an incerdibly sad thing to have to deal with but yes it was very funny in places, were does the stuff come from that they shout out, and also very sad
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I hate programmes like this. It's sensationalised, such as the title, and doesn't stick to the facts.

There are so many different types of tourettes. The one that causes people to swear uncontrollably is actually one of the rarest forms. But thanks to programmes like this, everyone thinks to word "tourettes" is synonymous with swearing like a trouper :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    I hate programmes like this. It's sensationalised, such as the title, and doesn't stick to the facts.

There are so many different types of tourettes. The one that causes people to swear uncontrollably is actually one of the rarest forms. But thanks to programmes like this, everyone thinks to word "tourettes" is synonymous with swearing like a trouper :rolleyes:
    A rather bizarre conclusion, since one of the principal sufferers featured barely swore at all.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol i just saw the bit on iplayer where she sort of says inacpisity benefit hahahaha :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    tv.marktv.mark Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think you watched it before you posted that, did you?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member

Did you watch it? The 15 yr old had ticks,but rarely swore. I thought it was a brilliant programme. Fasicnating comparing John when he was 15 and treated like a leper,and greg who's friends understood who he was and didnt bat an eyelid:)
  • Options
    Miss ListerMiss Lister Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    My boyfriend has Tourettes. He doesn't swear uncontrollably but has various tics, grunts, squeaks and facial twitches. Some days are better than others and the more stressed he is the worse it can be. I am so used to it I don't notice anymore.

Whilst we were watching the programme last night I was watching him without him noticing and his twitches/blinking got worse and worse as the programme went on. He said afterwards that watching others with Tourettes always sets him off. Both his brother and sister had varying degrees of Tourettes when they were younger, only his brother has grown out of it.

I think it is a very well made documentary although obviously focusing on the more severe cases. There are lots more people like my BF who suffer 'milder' symptoms.