Options

Should people with a double-barreled name...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
...be shot with a double-barreled shotgun ? (I mean, they is well posh.) They could be aristocrats who are so stupid with generations of in-breeding they could actually shoot themselves by accident.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I very nearly was born with a triple-barrelled name... :eek: phew.

My grandparents flung their names together, not from poshness, but because he was setting up business and 'Williams' alone as a name was not eyecatching enough apparently :D He most certainly was not posh, son of a Welsh miner.
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    ...be shot with a double-barreled shotgun ? (I mean, they is well posh.) They could be aristocrats who are so stupid with generations of in-breeding they could actually shoot themselves by accident.

:yawn: Left your bridge unattended have you? Best get back under it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh, the days when a double barrelled name meant aristocrat are long gone. These days it is much more likely to mean "my parents are not married".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oooh, the days when a double barrelled name meant aristocrat are long gone. These days it is much more likely to mean "my parents are not married".
    Alternatively, that your parents ARE married but want their child to have both parents' surnames. Which will be the case when my fella and I have children, as I'm keeping my own name.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) Go onto Twitter and ask that daft woman from the other day.

2) Get some sleep dear!
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    This is a discussion forum. If you wish to pollute the internet with inane rhetorical questions you're probably best doing it on Facebook where people might at least give a shit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know someone whos second name is Given-Head ;)
  • Options
    Jimmy the GentJimmy the Gent Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dread to think what might happen of my mate John Hammersmith marries his girlfriend Jane Flyover.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What a cheery bunch you are!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ohmarnie wrote: »
    What a cheery bunch you are!

With respect, when you've been here a bit longer you'll understand. :D
  • Options
    xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    my parents never got married so i was given both their surnames
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    Alternatively, that your parents ARE married but want their child to have both parents' surnames. Which will be the case when my fella and I have children, as I'm keeping my own name.

I don't get this. I mean, I understand the sentiment, but the reason this doesn't generally happen is because generations later, now many surnames are going to be tagged on there? Or is a name dropped with every generation? Genuinely interested.
    To me, it's the same as the 'Mrs/Ms' thing - I wouldn't feel I was in a submissive position if I took my husband's surname or became a 'Mrs', it doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get this. I mean, I understand the sentiment, but the reason this doesn't generally happen is because generations later, now many surnames are going to be tagged on there? Or is a name dropped with every generation? Genuinely interested.
    To me, it's the same as the 'Mrs/Ms' thing - I wouldn't feel I was in a submissive position if I took my husband's surname or became a 'Mrs', it doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe that's why I haven't married :D I prefer Ms and would never take my OH's name.

I already have 2 surnames but not double barrelled, I don't want kids either so I guess it's not a putative problem for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Whereas I would hate to be 'Mrs', I have a name of my own and see no need to take my husband's. I've always felt that way, strongly. Always will I suspect.

It actually wouldn't bother me if we had kids and they later chose to drop my part of their surname or if it didn't carry on for generations, that would be entirely up to them.

We're all different and have different perspectives and different personal reasons, I suppose. It may not mean anything to you but it does to me personally, so it's what I'm choosing to do. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If my wife and I tried that it would be a nightmare, Irish/Polish surname.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »

My family name's Indian in origin and my partner's is German. :D Fortunately the combination doesn't sound too bad and is relatively easy to spell!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »

Woodsy's cool though :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whereas I would hate to be 'Mrs', I have a name of my own and see no need to take my husband's. I've always felt that way. Always will I suspect.

We're all different and have different perspectives and different personal reasons, I suppose. It may not mean anything to you but it does to me personally, so it's what I'm choosing to do. :)

I'm often quietly surprised by some of my female friends who opt to change their name, I genuinely don't see why they would want to other than to show they're married... but then maybe that's what it's about.

And I mean that respectfully even if it doesn't appear that in type, so apologies in advance if my comment inadvertently offends anyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    I'm often quietly surprised by some of my female friends who opt to change their name, I genuinely don't see why they would want to other than to show they're married... but then maybe that's what it's about.

And I mean that respectfully even if it doesn't appear that in type, so apologies in advance if my comment inadvertently offends anyone.

It's odd. I'm immensely proud to be with my bloke and love him to bits. Once we're married I'll be proud to be his wife and to call him my husband (well, it'll make a change from "Oi, you" :D). I just don't believe in changing names. To me, it's old fashioned, unnecessary, and rather pointless.

My gran married 5 times and changed her name each time! Waste of effort if you ask me. :D
  • Options
    AfterlifeAfterlife Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to know a chav who's surname was Palmer-Smith.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's odd. I'm immensely proud to be with my bloke and love him to bits. Once we're married I'll be proud to be his wife and to call him my husband (well, it'll make a change from "Oi, you" :D). I just don't believe in changing names. To me, it's old fashioned, unnecessary, and rather pointless.

My gran married 5 times and changed her name each time! Waste of effort if you ask me. :D

Way ta go Nanny Webb :D

The reason I changed, or rather aded a name, was my mum remarried so I suddenly didn't have her name in my surname any more.
    So I used to deed poll to add her maiden name in exchange for Marie as my middle name.

*I think I just won the prize for the post with the amount of 'names' in one go' :o*
  • Options
    spoonfulofsensespoonfulofsense Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always wondered what happens when two people with double barrelled names get married, do their kids have quadruple-barrelled surnames?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Way ta go Nanny Webb :D

The reason I changed, or rather aded a name, was my mum remarried so I suddenly didn't have her name in my surname any more.
    So I used to deed poll to add her maiden name in exchange for Marie as my middle name.

*I think I just won the prize for the post with the amount of 'names' in one go' :o*

Aw. That's really sweet.

Obviously it's none of my business whatsoever whether anyone else chooses to change their name after marriage or not really. I'm just gonna save hassle and keep my own! :D
  • Options
    rickster1995rickster1995 Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    this is one of the few times on DS that i have actually laughed at a thread hehe ! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodsy's cool though :D

It wouldn't have woodsy in the name though:D