The Big Holby City Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, they're both on the cast list for next week's episode :)

and Yes, Dylan is the one with the boat and the dog. Him coming up to Holby in the storyline actually suits Dylan's character as he seems to know a lot about (i guess) unusual diseases,

Look forward to watching that then!!
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed that episode, its about time we got some backround on Luc, he was being wasted as a character lately. I actually do like him and Eddi together, and I love the way Sasha gently guided them together - he is such a sweetheart.

Dan and Simon were sweet together I really hope that they end up together when Dan leaves - can't be long now. I will miss them on Keller, though - the little gang of Dan, Simon, Malik and Chantelle work really well together.

Darwin is another story - I miss Jac, and Elliot seems reduced to guest appearances in theatre now! Ollie and Tara - don't know what to think of it. I was afraid he was going to do a Penny on her when he took the credit for whatever that was but then he fessed up so big relief all round. And I'm getting a bit sick of the Jonny-Mo "friendship" - yes, we get it now, they are great friends!! Am I the only one who finds Jonny a bit tacky??? The way the was speculating about Ollie and Tara was a bit yucky imo. Mo is starting to show her claws a bit, although overall she is a pleasant character.

Romance seems to be alive and kicking in Holby at the moment! I miss Michael Spence - where is he?? I miss his swagger and smart comments!!! :o
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Personally I find Jonny amusing but can see how the 'grinding against theatre machines to Barry White' stuff could come across as tacky to borrow your word. Excellent mimicry skills though, I honestly didn't know who was doing that narration at first.

I've been likening Tara to the Andrex Puppy for a few weeks now so was glad to see it turn up on screen. I do think she's an interesting enough character and am intrigued as to her back story but I find her (particuarly her habit of making assurances and promises to patients like, everything will be fine, you'll be out of here in no time when she can't, indeed no doctor can ever say for certain that something won't go wrong in theatre - every operation carries a small risk) very aggravating, especially as no-one ever seems to pull her up on it.

Whilst I don't want to see Sacha unduly suffer, it bugs me that he appears to have got over a near death experience and bounced back to what he was both physically and more importantly, emotionally within 3 weeks. I'm failing to see what the point of the stabbing was really except to provide an audience teasing cliffhanger one week (will he live the night) and to try and convince us doubting Thomas' that Chrissie really does love him - and that didn't work with at least me. Bit of a sensationalist cheap trick really.

I liked the way Eddi and Luc finally kissed properly - very gentle and tender - perhaps the opposite of what you might have expected given their previously quite abrasive form of flirting. I wonder in what particular way Luc's mother was odd or whatever word it was he used and why he had to spend so much time in hospitals as a child - interesting.

Not as good an episode as the last few weeks in my opinion but then it is the first of a two parter and did a great job of setting up the premise for that, probably best judged once the story has concluded.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Personally I find Jonny amusing but can see how the 'grinding against theatre machines to Barry White' stuff could come across as tacky to borrow your word. Excellent mimicry skills though, I honestly didn't know who was doing that narration at first.

I've been likening Tara to the Andrex Puppy for a few weeks now so was glad to see it turn up on screen. I do think she's an interesting enough character and am intrigued as to her back story but I find her (particuarly her habit of making assurances and promises to patients like, everything will be fine, you'll be out of here in no time when she can't, indeed no doctor can ever say for certain that something won't go wrong in theatre - every operation carries a small risk) very aggravating, especially as no-one ever seems to pull her up on it.

Whilst I don't want to see Sacha unduly suffer, it bugs me that he appears to have got over a near death experience and bounced back to what he was both physically and more importantly, emotionally within 3 weeks. I'm failing to see what the point of the stabbing was really except to provide an audience teasing cliffhanger one week (will he live the night) and to try and convince us doubting Thomas' that Chrissie really does love him - and that didn't work with at least me. Bit of a sensationalist cheap trick really.

I liked the way Eddi and Luc finally kissed properly - very gentle and tender - perhaps the opposite of what you might have expected given their previously quite abrasive form of flirting. I wonder in what particular way Luc's mother was odd or whatever word it was he used and why he had to spend so much time in hospitals as a child - interesting.

Not as good an episode as the last few weeks in my opinion but then it is the first of a two parter and did a great job of setting up the premise for that, probably best judged once the story has concluded.
    I think your post was more interesting than the episode! Agree with you that it's about time we got some background on Luc, and about Sacha - what a quick recovery! It was as quick a recovery as Tara had at the sight of blood!! That disappeared quicker than the UK spring-time weather! Overall though it was a little bit of a 'meh' episode but still looking forward to Part 2 next week. :)
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    I think your post was more interesting than the episode! Agree with you that it's about time we got some background on Luc, and about Sacha - what a quick recovery! It was as quick a recovery as Tara had at the sight of blood!! That disappeared quicker than the UK spring-time weather! Overall though it was a little bit of a 'meh' episode but still looking forward to Part 2 next week. :)

Ah gee, thanks. :p

I hated the Tara fainting at blood thing. Aside from as you say, the ease with which she got over it without the audience being told how - faith healer, aversion therapy?

The idea that she could have got that far, to F1 status without this problem having flaired up or been noticed before was ridiculous. Med Students aren't just locked in a university lecture theatre for 7 years without ever being let into a hospital to at least observe procedures, the have 'on site' training during the course of their degree - look at Ella and Spike a few weeks ago, not to mention Matt and Dean back in 05 - 06 - they wee all med students, a couple of years off F1 and actually working on wards.
  • reclinewithmereclinewithme Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Tara, and I like Mo and Johnny. I didn't know it was Johnny doing the David Attenborough voiceover either - very good! Didn't like the episode, though, apart from Dan's scenes. It seemed a bit clumsily written and acted, or was that just me? And I have tried and tried and tried to get used to Eddi, and to stop disliking her, but I just can't! After all, why should Luc bother with her brother? And why didn't she have the courtesy to let him know she was going to be starting her shift so late? What about discussing it at handover the day before, and arranging some cover, instead of just going AWOL? And why go to his camper van for a snog, if she can't accept his quirkiness? I just don't think they're suited. Personally I hope they throw him together with Jac at some point, potentially a much better match!
  • Maria747Maria747 Posts: 2,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a pretty good episode this week. I am getting used the the new transplant team and I like Mo's character, quite easy going but firm boss at the same time. I can't quite get used to Ollie and Tara team. I still find Tara boring as hell.
    I liked the Legionaires disease storyline and can't wait till next week to find out if Holby City is the source of the outbreak.
    I am loving the Luc and Eddie saga and glad we finally got a little background on Luc's childhood. It looks like he had a very hectic but lonely childhood. I still want to know more about his mother.
    He looked quite vulnerable in the caravan and it seems only Eddie can comfort his inner demons when they are outside the work mode. I know Eddie's not a favourite but I will be sad if she leaves AAU. I like Sacha's role as he is sort of the go-between Luc and Eddie. After watching the trailer for next week, it looks like 'sayonara' for one of them. I would love fro Holby City writers to give one couple to have a happy ever after, but I can't see it with with these two.

I missing Michael Spence and Frieda big time.
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <snip>
    Whilst I don't want to see Sacha unduly suffer, it bugs me that he appears to have got over a near death experience and bounced back to what he was both physically and more importantly, emotionally within 3 weeks.
    <snip>

You are assuming time runs at the same rate over in Holby to here - it doesn't. Sometimes it's faster, sometimes it's slower. We will go back next week and less than a day will have passed there.
    Forum Member
    cats_five wrote: »
    You are assuming time runs at the same rate over in Holby to here - it doesn't. Sometimes it's faster, sometimes it's slower. We will go back next week and less than a day will have passed there.

I take your point and indeed it seems clear that there was more than a week between the episode where his sepcis was operated on and rachel turning up on the ward with him back at work. It's not so much the pysical as the emotional, he seems exactly the same as he was before the attack, no trust issues, no wariness round patients, still seeing the best in everyone and joling around like nothing out of the oridinary has happened. I just don't think that is realistic after such a traumatic, violent, near death experience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame that Paul Nichols is only short term and Dan is leaving....I think it could really have developed into something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I actually didn't mind the Barry White reference, it was quite funny. It was the earlier reference to "passing the gravy" that I found distasteful (and I don't consider myself a prude!)and just the way he said it. Also when he was talking to Jac in an earlier episode and said that there were bits of her that he liked, it was quite clearly a sexual reference and I just thought "ugh" - even Jac said "classy" in response to it.
    I just don't "get" him, obviously !!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maria747 wrote: »
    I thought it was a pretty good episode this week. I am getting used the the new transplant team and I like Mo's character, quite easy going but firm boss at the same time. I can't quite get used to Ollie and Tara team. I still find Tara boring as hell.
    I liked the Legionaires disease storyline and can't wait till next week to find out if Holby City is the source of the outbreak.
    I am loving the Luc and Eddie saga and glad we finally got a little background on Luc's childhood. It looks like he had a very hectic but lonely childhood. I still want to know more about his mother.
    He looked quite vulnerable in the caravan and it seems only Eddie can comfort his inner demons when they are outside the work mode. I know Eddie's not a favourite but I will be sad if she leaves AAU. I like Sacha's role as he is sort of the go-between Luc and Eddie. After watching the trailer for next week, it looks like 'sayonara' for one of them. I would love fro Holby City writers to give one couple to have a happy ever after, but I can't see it with with these two.

I missing Michael Spence and Frieda big time.

I miss the goodness of the sarcastic Ukranian and everyone's favourite shiny-suited American doctors.
  • Maria747Maria747 Posts: 2,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gunner 51 wrote: »
    I miss the goodness of the sarcastic Ukranian and everyone's favourite shiny-suited American doctors.

I am in mourning that she's gone
    I still remember Frieda's line when the over enthusiastic Tara was commending her on her F1 results. " I give myself a prize everyday before breakfast" - classic Frieda
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Hanssen comes scuttling out of his office soon and back where he belongs – on the ward and in theatre with a few witty one liners!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Victoria Atkin, who played Jason Costello in Hollyoaks, has signed up for a guest role in Holby City.

Her official website has confirmed that Atkin will make a one-episode stint as ex-army soldier Lainey Craig who suffers with foreign accent syndrome, a speech impediment usually the result of a brain injury.

She will make her appearance on hospital drama Holby City on Tuesday, June 26 - under a fortnight's time - at 8pm on BBC One.

Heck....Holby's going even more Grey's Anatomy on us!! :D
  • MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was a good episode, I was up and down when Luke and Eddi were kissing.

It is a huge same that Dan comes into his own and he he is leaving.

Where is Spence?

Henrik Hansen: Manager/Doctor roles are interesting.
    Forum Member
    I actually didn't mind the Barry White reference, it was quite funny. It was the earlier reference to "passing the gravy" that I found distasteful (and I don't consider myself a prude!)and just the way he said it. Also when he was talking to Jac in an earlier episode and said that there were bits of her that he liked, it was quite clearly a sexual reference and I just thought "ugh" - even Jac said "classy" in response to it.
    I just don't "get" him, obviously !!!

I do agree that there is something ever so slightly sleazy about speculating and betting on your junior colleagues sex lives, especially when using quite graphic euphamisms.

The 'bits of you' I'm more forgiving of. From what we've seen of their 'relationship' Jac has made it abundantly clear that all she finds of value in him is sex, 'don't talk' in the hotel room, not staying for a cuddle, 'shut up' during the stock take encounter, jumped up nursie - if she is treating him as only worthy as sexual relief, why should he treat her differently, indeed he may even think that is what she wants and she'd run a mile if he got lovey dovey or suggested something date like, say a dinner and a movie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do agree that there is something ever so slightly sleazy about speculating and betting on your junior colleagues sex lives, especially when using quite graphic euphamisms.

The 'bits of you' I'm more forgiving of. From what we've seen of their 'relationship' Jac has made it abundantly clear that all she finds of value in him is sex, 'don't talk' in the hotel room, not staying for a cuddle, 'shut up' during the stock take encounter, jumped up nursie - if she is treating him as only worthy as sexual relief, why should he treat her differently, indeed he may even think that is what she wants and she'd run a mile if he got lovey dovey or suggested something date like, say a dinner and a movie.

I can see your point in relation to Jac - its a long way off going to see "Madame Butterfly" with Joseph :D:D
    Forum Member
    I can see your point in relation to Jac - its a long way off going to see "Madame Butterfly" with Joseph :D:D

Different kind of relationship completely although I'm inclined to think there was a fair amount of rampant bodice ripping involved with Joseph as well as the romance, at least second time round.

I di like Jonny a lot, I think he is funny and attractive, like the relationship with Jac and am inclined to think that he is a lot keener on 'all' of her than he is letting on. However, you have kind of got to wonder at the ease with which he propositioned her on that course and the Neurosurgeon line to do it with - just how often does he behave like that and quite what fibbing extents does he make a habit of going to to get women into bed. That said, if someone claimed to be a Neurosurgeon whilst chatting me up, I'd assume it was line and treat it with derision but I guess I don't attend conferences filled with medical personnel where it would be more plausible :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Different kind of relationship completely although I'm inclined to think there was a fair amount of rampant bodice ripping involved with Joseph as well as the romance, at least second time round.

I di like Jonny a lot, I think he is funny and attractive, like the relationship with Jac and am inclined to think that he is a lot keener on 'all' of her than he is letting on. However, you have kind of got to wonder at the ease with which he propositioned her on that course and the Neurosurgeon line to do it with - just how often does he behave like that and quite what fibbing extents does he make a habit of going to to get women into bed. That said, if someone claimed to be a Neurosurgeon whilst chatting me up, I'd assume it was line and treat it with derision but I guess I don't attend conferences filled with medical personnel where it would be more plausible :p

Didn't he say that he was on that course because he was a compulsive liar?? Maybe he was actually telling the truth about that!

I think you are right about him liking Jac more than he is letting on. I think he could end up falling for her, whether or not she feels the same is questionable.

As for the bodice ripping with Joseph, yes indeed. I remember that scene in the staff room well - as I do the majority of scenes the delectable Mr Byrne was in! :o
  • LaurieastLaurieast Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Could some kind soul explain briefly what the carer story was all about? The look of relief on her face after the young man was taken away? I watched it three times, and still none the wiser :confused:
    Forum Member
    Didn't he say that he was on that course because he was a compulsive liar?? Maybe he was actually telling the truth about that!

I think you are right about him liking Jac more than he is letting on. I think he could end up falling for her, whether or not she feels the same is questionable.

As for the bodice ripping with Joseph, yes indeed. I remember that scene in the staff room well - as I do the majority of scenes the delectable Mr Byrne was in! :o

I said exactly that on another forum straight after the episode aired. I mean, we haven't been told why he was on the course, he must have been sent for some reason. Of course it doesn't have to have been as a punishment as Jac's was but if it was just a thing Hansenn is introducing for new staff members, why wasn't Mo there? Hmm, interesting. Of course the reason plot wise was to have him and Jac meet and shag with her thinking it was a no strings one off encounter where she'd never see him again but they could just as easily shown her meeting him at a bar or a fund raising event, or even that awards ceremoney a couple of months ago>

I too remember most of the lovely Joseph's scenes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laurieast wrote: »
    Could some kind soul explain briefly what the carer story was all about? The look of relief on her face after the young man was taken away? I watched it three times, and still none the wiser :confused:
    Maria747 wrote: »
    I am in mourning that she's gone
    I still remember Frieda's line when the over enthusiastic Tara was commending her on her F1 results. " I give myself a prize everyday before breakfast" - classic Frieda

@Laurieast: The carer was a complete nutter. He wasn't allowing the lady to take her medication to get any better so she'd remain permanantly ill so he can continue to look after her. And as Olly said "what better way to control someone [and make them stay] than to make them completely dependent on you."

@Maria - Her sarcastic quips are good, but her idea of practical jokes are complete howlers. Watch this and laugh your socks off....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKd63IcSVLw
  • madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Well whoever is responsible for casting Tara should be shot. Not only is her voice (still) irritating me (is she a smoker?) but she acts like a complete airhead, showing that just because you have a title, it doesn't make you intelligent. Ollie is an idiot around her and is being dragged into her ineptitude which is a load of bull that he'd go out on a limb given his academic misdemeanours. It was ok tonight but I simply can't buy into her and sorry but Lo needs to go. I think the two of them have zilch chemistry between them and I'd rather see Ollie go with Chantelle - at least then he'd know what he was buying into oh and and one more thing, whoever the actress is who plays Lo, needs to get some more acting lessons - dreadful all round.
  • greygrey Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    Just in case not everyone knows
    Holby is on at 7.30 pm on tuesday
This discussion has been closed.