What Remains, BBC1&HD, 9pm, 25 Aug, 1-8-15 Sep

Comments

• tom_domutoatom_domutoa Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    bit like the real life joyce vincent story
  • PetitshooPetitshoo Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    I could have sworn he was wearing eyeliner too.

I thought that too - his eyes did look made up.
  • WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He did seem to have overdone the make-up at some points.:D

Yes tres theatrical. :D
  • moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was really good. It occurred to me that, when Len got preggers girl to shout help as he went downstairs, it would depend on the time of day of the murder as to whether other residents heard anything. During the day they were probably out, and in the evening they would have had their doors closed and their tvs or stereos on, so it didn't really prove anything.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    moondew wrote: »
    I thought it was really good. It occurred to me that, when Len got preggers girl to shout help as he went downstairs, it would depend on the time of day of the murder as to whether other residents heard anything. During the day they were probably out, and in the evening they would have had their doors closed and their tvs or stereos on, so it didn't really prove anything.

Yes it was pointless. Also, given what had happened in the loft it would have taken more than him with his eye make up and trampy appearance to get me standing alone there shouting for help.

She's something of a nosey parker though.

It's intriguing.

Melissa went up to the loft because she heard creaking floorboards. She clearly hadn't watched enough horror films.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And of course you can't be sure Melissa would have made much noise.
  • moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owllover wrote: »
    Melissa went up to the loft because she heard creaking floorboards. She clearly hadn't watched enough horror films.
    :D:D:D
    Another thing I wondered about - why was there a leak in the top flat? As no-one had lived there for 2 years, the plumbing wouldn't have been used. Unless there was someone up there who kept out of sight, of course. :eek:
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    And of course you can't be sure Melissa would have made much noise.

Exactly.

She was shy and withdrawn but not afraid to confront whatever was going on or was she stupid to do it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D:D
    Another thing I wondered about - why was there a leak in the top flat? As no-one had lived there for 2 years, the plumbing wouldn't have been used. Unless there was someone up there who kept out of sight, of course. :eek:

The water leak was in the loft. It had dripped into Melissa's flat and then into the flat below. Melissa was mummified, so it wasn't her dripping down.

Hope the cops checked the trunk in the loft.

Melissa was a bridesmaid in the photo? I'd be tempted to take it out of the frame to see if it's ''folded''.

The mummy had the same rabbit shirt as we saw Melissa in at the start. And her keys. So I think it is her up in the loft.

Dreams of a Life(the documentary about Joyce Vincent) is available to watch on 4OD.
  • Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    All those who are suggesting that the remains are Melissa's mum - didn't the remains have Melissa's long dark hair?
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing I wondered about - why was there a leak in the top flat?
    I thought the leak was from the loft and it leaked into Melissa's flat which eventually made its way into the next flat down. Plumbing leaks can seem to happen quite randomly but are often years in the making as a pipe corrodes away... perhaps with a tiny leak that gets further damaged by frost.

Re various comments earlier:

I can't see that it would be Melissa's mother in the flat if the police uncovered paperwork confirming Melissa had inherited it from her mother. They verified that, iIrc - they didn't take it on the say so of a resident. And it takes a death certificate to enable someone to inherit.

I think hoodie person was Russel Tovey's female classmate from creepy teacher's flat. Hence it was the hoodie disappeared by the time policeman (Harper?) staggered down to the hallway... hoddie had run back into her flat and closed the door.

There's definitely something going on with Canadian Skype guy.

An unfortunate goldfish moment... swim free little fish... :(

Apart from the fish :D I thought it was a great hour of telly. I'll definitely watch next week.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melissa was a bridesmaid in the photo? I'd be tempted to take it out of the frame to see if it's ''folded''.
    I assumed (yeah, I know) that she was a bride. It was a white dress, wasn't it? And if she was a bride or bridesmaid, again it suggests that she had friends and possibly family (other than her mother) who would have noticed her disappearance. Overweight people can be more difficult to age, though - increased chocolate consumption prevents wrinkles :D - so the photo could have been Melissa 1 year previously to her death... or 10.

And yes, we agree on the leak, BK. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with others that the creepy teacher guy seems way too obvious, but another question to ponder about him is why did he have keys to all the other flats? At first, I thought he might have been some sort of 'caretaker' and the flats were rented, but then it was said that Melissa inherited the flat from her mother, and Keiran (sp?) mentioned to his girlfriend that if he pooled the money from selling his flat with her money then they could afford somewhere else. Even if it was just a neighbourly 'can you keep a spare key for me in case I forget mine' scenario, he would not have been top of my list of people to trust.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lesbian trysts maybe? Checked coat woman had row with Melissa and bumped her off???? Who knows. Too many possibilites. :)
    Forum Member
    Normandie wrote: »

I think hoodie person was Russel Tovey's female classmate from creepy teacher's flat. Hence it was the hoodie disappeared by the time policeman (Harper?) staggered down to the hallway... hoddie had run back into her flat and closed the door.

Yes, I thought that too.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    I agree with others that the creepy teacher guy seems way too obvious, but another question to ponder about him is why did he have keys to all the other flats?
    Acquired over time by one way or another. Though changing the locks would be job number one for many people when moving into a new home as you have no idea who the previous occupant may have given keys to (builders, neighbours, relatives, carers etc).
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this - a good storyline and some great actors.

The reviews said that we hadn't seen the second lesbian, but I assumed that she was the woman who arrived and then turned & walked away when she saw the police - the woman who was played by the actress from the dress shop in Lark Rise to Candleford. Was this a completely wrong assumption on my part ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looby383x wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this - a good storyline and some great actors.

The reviews said that we hadn't seen the second lesbian, but I assumed that she was the woman who arrived and then turned & walked away when she saw the police - the woman who was played by the actress from the dress shop in Lark Rise to Candleford. Was this a completely wrong assumption on my part ?

I think most of us assumed that too,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owllover wrote: »
    Yes it was pointless. Also, given what had happened in the loft it would have taken more than him with his eye make up and trampy appearance to get me standing alone there shouting for help.

She's something of a nosey parker though.

It's intriguing.

both BiB - lmao true facts:D:D
    Normandie wrote: »
    I thought the leak was from the loft and it leaked into Melissa's flat which eventually made its way into the next flat down. Plumbing leaks can seem to happen quite randomly but are often years in the making as a pipe corrodes away... perhaps with a tiny leak that gets further damaged by frost.

Re various comments earlier:

I can't see that it would be Melissa's mother in the flat if the police uncovered paperwork confirming Melissa had inherited it from her mother. They verified that, iIrc - they didn't take it on the say so of a resident. And it takes a death certificate to enable someone to inherit.

There's definitely something going on with Canadian Skype guy.

An unfortunate goldfish moment... swim free little fish... :(

Apart from the fish :D I thought it was a great hour of telly. I'll definitely watch next week.

BiB one - I thought so too.
    BiB two - still not over it!:(

My theory: (feel free to heartily ignore!) Kieron was having some sort of affair with Melissa. I just have this feeling - he didn't want it to be a story and pretended it was because of house prices but clearly it was something else he didn't want his now-girlfriend to discover. Also he was just newly divorced when he moved in and he and Melissa would have had a few months to.... get close?:o Also his son's mighty dodgy. I have a feeling that the lesbian couple might have heard Melissa's murder but not done anything about it as opposed to have actually caused it.... but tbh it's way too early to guess 'whodunnit'!!
    Agree that former flat 4 guy is dodgy. Hmmmm....
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of things I didn't get (although I wasn't doing anything else while watching) and hoping someone can explain;
    The SOCO or whatever asked Harper "is that with one p or two?" What did she mean? I don't think Harper can be spelt with two p's? And she didn't mean the sergeant's name because that was Ellis?

Harper asked his friend's son, "Why would someone not have a personal profile on the internet?" How does he know that Melissa didn't have one, just because they didn't find a computer or phone in her flat? Her computer could have been in for repair or could have been stolen. I'm assuming he hasn't checked every Melissa Young on the internet and proved them all not to be her. And anyway she may have used a different name online!
    Forum Member
    salad-days wrote: »

My theory: (feel free to heartily ignore!) Kieron was having some sort of affair with Melissa. I just have this feeling - he didn't want it to be a story and pretended it was because of house prices but clearly it was something else he didn't want his now-girlfriend to discover. Also he was just newly divorced when he moved in and he and Melissa would have had a few months to.... get close?:o ...

Interesting idea. And I did notice that he didn't mention his christmas drinks party, which Melissa attended.

I'm very sad because I wondered if there was any clue in her buying a whole pineapple :o:D

just seemed a bit random. bread, ok, chocolate, yep, and...a pineapple :eek:
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting to read all the theories! This is shaping up to be a classic whodunnit....as in we don't know who to trust, everyone has a secret but some of them are red herrings etc. Also a bit of creepy house horror thrown in too....I loved those chilling scenes of the view down the staircase.

I'm still confused by the mummification thing, though, can anyone explain what this is and why it would have happened in this case? I'm so sorry to go on about this rather unpleasant aspect to the story, but I get the feeling it's crucial to the plot and I don't understand what it means.

I had nightmares about Russell Tovey's moment of nastiness. He normally plays such sweet types, it was a real creepy moment when he suddenly went all horrible with the teacher!
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    A couple of things I didn't get (although I wasn't doing anything else while watching) and hoping someone can explain;
    The SOCO or whatever asked Harper "is that with one p or two?" What did she mean? I don't think Harper can be spelt with two p's? And she didn't mean the sergeant's name because that was Ellis?

Harper asked his friend's son, "Why would someone not have a personal profile on the internet?" How does he know that Melissa didn't have one, just because they didn't find a computer or phone in her flat? Her computer could have been in for repair or could have been stolen. I'm assuming he hasn't checked every Melissa Young o
    n the internet and proved them all not to be her. And anyway she may have used a different name online!

I didn't get the one p or two either.

I think Harper did have suspicions that she'd had a computer and phone stolen. By the time of the hospital visit I think the police had had ample time to trawl the social media sites.
  • girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Ta. For once I was paying my fullest attention distracted only by the cop's weird hair.
    I could have sworn he was wearing eyeliner too.

I also thought he was wearing face powder or foundation.