Did your gaydar detect Tom Daley>

Comments

• Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. I don't even give my "gaydar" much thought most of the time because someone's sexuality is irrelevant to me but Tom coming out is like someone telling me the sky is blue. My mum clocked it too and she doesn't even have a gaydar. :D

I just hope he's happy and will be left alone.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he was a long time ago - good luck to him - it's his life.
  • ConcretepigsyConcretepigsy Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago when I first saw him, it appears he was the last to know
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    Stevie Wonder could see he was gay.

Nonsense.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northerly wrote: »
    ideal morning to check if your Gaydar is up to date and working. ?

:D

I always thought Tom Daley was gay; not that it's a big deal or anything, as I couldn't really give a hoot whether he is or not.

I feel sad for him that he felt the need to make an announcement that he was having a relationship with another human being.

Somewhat naively, I thought we'd moved on as a society.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I moved to London in 78, aged 18, I used to help out with a woman in Catford who ran a support group for young gay lads and their parents (quite an edgy thing to do back then - she had to be very careful).

I used to meet lads of 14, 15, 16, many of whom were really quite camp (I never have been) and I used to wonder where on earth it came from. Can't have just been from watching John Inman or Larry Grayson. It's almost like it was in their blood.

Tom is not like that, but he does have a very noticeable "gayness" about him. My Gaydar bleeped very loudly the very first time I saw him interviewed aged about 14.

I remember saying "blimey - he'll be a catch in a few years time!"
  • bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised actually, I thought he preferred a clean entry.
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I used to meet lads of 14, 15, 16, many of whom were really quite camp (I never have been) and I used to wonder where on earth it came from. Can't have just been from watching John Inman or Larry Grayson. It's almost like it was in their blood.

I've always wondered too why some gay/bi men are camp and others aren't, being camp myself. I've been mincing since I learned to walk, and when I think back to when I was 5/6 in my first years of primary school, I was a right little princess. It wasn't learned, I'd never seen anyone be like that (even my mum's less feminine than me :D) but it wasn't a conscious decision to be that way, it's all I've ever been.

It does make me think, though, when people say it's put on to conform to a stereotype etc why they think someone would. Trust me, being a camp male isn't easy, particularly when growing up. You sometimes hear from non-camp gay men that it's annoying/embarrassing/faked etc when other gay men are camp, but there's very few, if any positives. It makes me think of the question "if you could go back to your birth and push a button to stop you being gay, would you?" For me, I'd never change my sexuality (I'm bi) as I've never had a problem being attracted to men. I would however have pushed some button to stop me being camp. If I could be some average, bloke-y guy, who just happens to like other men, that would have made growing up a lot easier.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Tom Daley's Gay Relationship Has Ruined His Diving Success!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01ms89m

ohmy, haha
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    "Tom Daley's Gay Relationship Has Ruined His Diving Success!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01ms89m

ohmy, haha

Stupid old bag! :mad:

He won a Bronze medal in one of the most exciting and high standard Diving competitions of all time.
    How is that "poor" FFS? (where's the roll eyes smiley?)

Why on earth did the BBC clip that nonsense? BBC Phone-ins are getting so trashy tabloid these days with presenters who haven't a clue and don't do any research before going on air! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Good luck to the bloke I wish him much happiness. Makes no difference to me who he sleeps with. Good luck with the next Olympics matey.
  • IofielIofiel Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love ya tom ! :D
  • Tom_BasilTom_Basil Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it did.

Now to get him in my bed.
  • SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, my gaydar didn't bleep at all. I thought the gay rumours were ridiculous and based on wishful thinking!

Surprised by how much media attention this has got.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squatch wrote: »
    Nope, my gaydar didn't bleep at all. I thought the gay rumours were ridiculous and based on wishful thinking!

Surprised by how much media attention this has got.

Same here , didn't see it just thought it was tiny trunks and tight body in a non macho sport . It seems he outed himself before the press did it for him .
  • ursula321ursula321 Posts: 1,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was fairly obvious.
  • nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone think Tom said something because lots of people said he was either as:

1) a publicity stunt to get him more exposure

2) The scummy press were threatening to reveal it anyway

3) someone else was going to reveal an encounter with him

4) wanted to make some people in the gay community happy
  • ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    No offence to him, but it was obvious he was gay as soon as he opened his mouth!
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    No offence to him, but it was obvious he was gay as soon as he opened his mouth!

Only to some it seems!
  • joe-mediajoe-media Posts: 225
    Forum Member

I know what I'd like to put in his mouth... :devil:
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northerly wrote: »
    ideal morning to check if your Gaydar is up to date and working. ?

Tom said in his video on YouTube that he still fancies women, so I'm guessing that he's probably bisexual.
  • AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    He's a diver who won a Bronze in Diving in the London Games

Yep ... he certainly embodies the British attitude to being a winner in sporting events.
  • ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Only to some it seems!
    joe-media wrote: »
    I know what I'd like to put in his mouth... :devil:

Haha, knew someone would take my words out of context!!! :D:p
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect he's gay and not bisexual. As a gay man myself, I'm not offended in the slightest that he chose not to come out fully. The thing is, he was hiding in a glass closet so it's no surprise to a lot of people and having a so called "gaydar" wasn't necessary really, it's obvious.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    I suspect he's gay and not bisexual. As a gay man myself, I'm not offended in the slightest that he chose not to come out fully. The thing is, he was hiding in a glass closet so it's no surprise to a lot of people and having a so called "gaydar" wasn't necessary really, it's obvious.

What makes you think that he's lying about being bisexual?