Pensioner charged with racially abusing travellers ~ waste of money ?

123457»

Comments

• mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I am aware you cannot register a vehicle without an address .
    If these people are travellers and don't have one how would they register it .
    At the very least your driving licence and insurance has to be accurate so the police can trace you if they ever need to which is why you get £1000 fines if you move without changing your address

1000 pound fines from who exactly, no-one needs a permanent address to register a car, load of old nonsense.
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    I have yet to say a bad things about travellers in this thread - which is not like me.

And I'll continue to NOT say bad things about them...

...just as soon as the thieving gypo ***** (insert Chaucerism) that stole motorcycles from my driveway return them.

Oh no how shocking... did they leave some lucky heather as a clue?
  • cornishpasty1cornishpasty1 Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    mackara wrote: »
    1000 pound fines from who exactly, no-one needs a permanent address to register a car, load of old nonsense.

Clearly you have no idea whatsoever about what you are talking about .
    Firstly - the fines come from the DVLA who are already mentioning the fines for out of date photos on licences.
    And I've yet to see any vehicle registration document with a blank space where the address should be.
    Clueless doesn't begin to describe you

The text from the Government website would also indicate you need to get clued up
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they were seen doing it, and their registration number was taken...

Which turned out to belong to a remarkably similar transit van that had been sold as scrap five years previously and its number struck off the register :mad: Another old trick...

I was told exactly WHERE on the outskirts of Belfast I could probably find my bikes, for the next 12 hours or so...if I was prepared to raise a small private army and go there - as the PSNI weren't about to!

Funny how the largest traveller camp on the edge of Belfast happens to be in a part of the city where the police...even today...daren't stand out in the open discussing the finer points of property ownership :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I am aware you cannot register a vehicle without an address .
    If these people are travellers and don't have one how would they register it .
    At the very least your driving licence and insurance has to be accurate so the police can trace you if they ever need to which is why you get £1000 fines if you move without changing your address

From Government website :

"It is a requirement of the Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1981 (the
    1981 Order) that applicants for Northern Ireland driving licences meet the
    relevant residency requirement. In the majority of cases, the applicant
    must reside in Northern Ireland. In practical terms, the residency
    requirement is met by the provision of a postal address within Northern
    Ireland to which the driving licence will be issued. Where doubts arise
    as to whether the applicant lives at the address supplied, he may be asked
    to provide additional information. Each case will be dealt with on an
    individual basis.

A valid address is a recognised postal address (excluding business
    premises) in Northern Ireland at which the applicant for a driving licence
    lives at the time of the application. It is a further requirement of the
    1981 Order that the holder of a licence must inform the Department if the
    details relating to the holder's address cease to be correct."

So it would seem you do
    Really" you are assuming the said travellers are from N.I, They are actually Roma and by the way I have 3 different and legal driving licence, G.B,N,I and ROI, only one has an adress
    Forum Member
    Really" you are assuming the said travellers are from N.I, They are actually Roma and by the way I have 3 different and legal driving licence, G.B,N,I and ROI, only one has an adress l one has an adress

I used the NI example as many travellers are from there.But the same rules applies.
    This is from a site selling motorhomes.

"You are required by the DVLA to have your current residential address on your license, penalty for having a wrong address is £1,000 and possible points, it would also invalidate your insurance, a PO box or mail service address is not acceptable."

So you have 2 driving licences with no address on ?
    Unless you are a motor trader any vehicle registration document needs the owners address on it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used the NI example as many travellers are from there.But the same rules applies.
    This is from a site selling motorhomes.

"You are required by the DVLA to have your current residential address on your license, penalty for having a wrong address is £1,000 and possible points, it would also invalidate your insurance, a PO box or mail service address is not acceptable."

So you have 2 driving licences with no address on ?

not no address but ones that I no longer reside at and in fact never did. PS, the DVLA only apply to G.B licences.
    Forum Member
    not no address but ones that I no longer reside at and in fact never did.
    So actually both illegal then .
    As you can seen from my link the same rule applies for NI
    That changes nothing except to show you don't drive within the law.
    Had the police stopped you and checked you would have been fined and had your vehicle seized at the roadside
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So actually both illegal then .
    That changes nothing except to show you don't drive within the law

No, both legal, the DVLA have no powers in N.I or ROI
    Forum Member
    No, both legal, the DVLA have no powers in N.I or ROI
    Same rule applies in NI as does the power to seize uninsured vehicles which is what yours would be as you had no valid licence . Your licence is invalid if it has the wrong address on it.
    I don't know about ROI but I daresay they have similar rules on the required accuracy of documentation
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same rule applies in NI as does the power to seize uninsured vehicles which is what yours would be as you had no valid licence . Your licence is invalid if it has the wrong address on it.
    I don't know about ROI but I daresay they have similar rules on the required accuracy of documentation

wrong again, a fixed address is not required, only an address is required.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. As long as it's not an excluded address - P.O box etc....and you can receive mail at it, it's a valid and legal address.

I have one address on my N.I. licence...but another different one on my insurance and bike V5. BOTH are valid, both exist, and I can receive mail at both. And for big chunks of the last decade I have lived at neither.

For a number of reasons I get my documentation checked at the side of the road with monotonous regularity...and yet this difference has never EVER been raised as an issue....

It's worth remembering that despite the "late unpleasantness" here - N.I. licencing laws are everso slightly different from the mainland UK ;) They have to be crosscompliant with different rules in the Irish Republic....AND the UK...so they are slightly looser.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. As long as it's not an excluded address - P.O box etc....and you can receive mail at it, it's a valid and legal address.

I have one address on my N.I. licence...but another different one on my insurance and bike V5. BOTH are valid, both exist, and I can receive mail at both. And for big chunks of the last decade I have lived at neither.

For a number of reasons I get my documentation checked at the side of the road with monotonous regularity...and yet this difference has never EVER been raised as an issue....

the only hassle I have had is this year due to the points sharing system between U.K and ROI when I went to renew my ROI full licence (never done a test in ROI ever), the buggers know the score now.:mad:
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snoopy33 wrote: »
    http://www.chorley-guardian.co.uk/news/local/travellers-in-appeal-dismissal-1-4598089

The travellers site in question,the site is really clean and apart from the group that are trying to get rid of them , the families and children are well liked in the area and schools
    Appellant Michael Linfoot

Same guy the old girl got into an altercation with ~ seems he's quite the legal beagle :rolleyes:

Except of course that they never ask permission prior to setting up camps on green belt land.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UPDATE: After initially losing her case, Josie Hampson has finally won on appeal. Great news !!!

link
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to laugh at this PC "travellers" business.

Travellers are holidaymakers/backpackers etc.