African Christians will be killed if we accept gay marriage says Justin Welby

1235»

Comments

• BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Neither will some people, judging by the ridiculous prejudices they display.

I agree having read through this thread.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,619
    Forum Member
    Only it's generally agreed that the 'turbulent priest' in question (Thomas Becket) was actually the good guy in that situation. Are you suggesting that Justin Welby is some modern-day equivalent?

Oh and :confused:

Becket wasn't really a good guy. The dispute was over what should happen with the clergy when they broke the law. Henry II, seeking to reduce the power of Rome in his kingdom wanted the clergy tried in secular courts but Becket sought to retain the status quo which was that if a member of the clergy broke a law then they had to be tried by ecclesiastical courts. The worse punishment that such a court could give, even for murder, was to have someone defrocked. Also later on Becket started to excommunicate people who were his enemies both inside and outside the church for no real reason other than he didn't like them and he could.

So I'm not entirely sure Becket was the good guy. It was a power struggle between state and church and of course the pope took the opportunity to put Henry II in his place after Becket was killed by making Becket a saint.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    He can't help being a knob. What more can you expect from a church leader.

Again, I personally wouldn't use puerile insults to describe him, but although there may well be some truth in his assertions (quite how much is virtually impossibe to estimate), I do think he has "seized the moment" to use it as a vehicle to support his own prejudica against gay marriage.

I'd say misguided rather than a "knob".
    Why does Islam get a free pass on it's attitude to women and gay people in this country?

All religion is preposterous but Islam is the most dangerous of the lot.

Is it fear?

I think it is. :(

Religion is a matter for the individual - it becomes dangerous when believers try to start influencing others, and especially when they start killing in the name of religion. Over the centuries religion has been the root cause of so much barbarity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Why does Islam get a free pass on it's attitude to women and gay people in this country?

All religion is preposterous but Islam is the most dangerous of the lot.

Is it fear?

I think it is. :(

Because people are afraid of being called racist. If you say a religious extremist should be deported or imprisoned, you're a racist apparently.

I've openly said I disagree entirely with Shariah and all it stands for but I have no problem with people practicing any religion as long as they don't force it on me, and yet apparently this makes me a racist.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,546
    Forum Member
    Because people are afraid of being called racist. If you say a religious extremist should be deported or imprisoned, you're a racist apparently.
    Where did you get that idea? I've never heard anyone being called a racist for expressing such a reasonable opinion.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've openly said I disagree entirely with Shariah and all it stands for but I have no problem with people practicing any religion as long as they don't force it on me, and yet apparently this makes me a racist.

I'm not afraid of Islam and I've happily confronted people of said faith with no fear.

I've never been called racist for it either.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welby is a classic case of being over promoted and under qualified for the position he holds.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    I didn't think that anti-gay marriage arguments could get any more ridiculous, but Welby has provided one.
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welby also said

"Modern Christians are “called” to suffer and even die for the faith in a new era of 'martyrdom'"
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a reason not to convert people in different cultures to christianity (or any 'faith'). And proof that the damage created by those 19thC missionaries goes on. Christians - and all the conversion-based middle eastern religions - should really accept in the 21stC that if they want to survive at all, they should leave other people alone. So much death and hatred comes from religions, and the effects of conversions over a century ago, continue to reverberate. I think christians have long thought of the entire continent of Africa as a fertile ground for getting converts, therefore money as Europeans move away entirely from religion. They should squarely admit that their religion has caused death and destruction and continues to - apologise - and walk away.