Labour proposes annual rent-increase cap

12345679»

Comments

• MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    You mean the ones JOB CENTRES set up like, Catalogue distributors for kleeneaze, and avon, and telling people they are now self-employed and no longer unemployed, thousands of these jobs on the DWP job site, IDS job market what a laugh

No.:)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    And they're proposing it, not building them. They might as well propose free cake for all.

They may as well promise that everyone will have a better sex life for all of their ability to deliver it.
  • mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Around 1.6 million rental properties are on a BTL mortgage - out of 2.4 million available.

This means nearly 70% of rental properties will be exempt from the rules. The rest of them will just be encouraged to re-mortgage a small proportion of the property to exempt themselves too.

But the law could change that for future tenancies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Really? My memory must be playing tricks on me.

When I moved to London as a teenager in 78, there was almost no rental property at all. Zilch. With the stifling rent control we had at the time, any landlord who could get rid of tenants did so. Nobody in their right mind let their property. I only managed to get a grotty 2 rooms in a house as I had a friend living in the property. The landlord had been harassing the tenants to try and empty the house, but he stood firm and eventually he gave up and let the other rooms again.

The whole problem with this is that it is a chronic failure in supply and demand, and any attempt to resolve it by government fiddling is destined for disaster. And as with all Labour's policies, it's not been thought through. The only proper answer to the problem is a massive building programme of affordable housing (which can only be done by the public sector) and control of population growth. And we all know what that means ;-)

I lived in London in the seventies, and accomadation to rent was plentiful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Rent control is a flop everywhere it is tried - you dont solve a housing shortage by restricting the supply of available properties.

See post 131.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    what you've got here is lowest common denominator politics. most people aren't landlords, so it's ok to go after them. most people don't work for energy companies. so it's ok to persecute them. most people aren't bankers, so it's ok to go after them.

First they came for the Bankers, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Banker.
    Then they came for the Energy Companies, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not an Energy Company.
    Then they came for the Landlords, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Landlord.
    Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me.

mark my words if you work in an industry that has a lot of customers, few employees and is unpopular currently. they'll have you. super markets, train companies, fixed line phone providers, broad band, moblie phones, drug companies. one day they'll have everyone.

It's a long time since I last saw paranoia as bad as this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two things are not the same, anyway benefit claimants are not by definition scroungers, parasites or spongers.

This is a proposal to intervene in a market - and this always ends in tears, not least because any intervention ends up being reactive to changes and therefore be slow. This is why rent controls end up with poor quality housing, with the supply being low, or you end up setting the limit too high and still have the problem you introduced rent controls to solve.

The only solution is to increase the supply of housing and that means building - in this way the price goes down. Not only that but you can alter the balance of single occupancy or low occupancy homes and deal with one of the primary issues with the Extra Room Supplement - that there are insufficient low occupancy homes so those with an extra room can move into and have a home more suited to their needs.

The Coalitions subsidy of BTL landlords is an intervention in the market. And if rent controls would reduce the supply of properties to rent, why hasn't fast rising rents increased the supply?
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meercam wrote: »
    People who claim to be self-employed in order to claim certain benefits but never actually seem to be doing any work.:)

What's the matter frightened to actually say what you mean? what a surprise, actually scratch that, no surprise at all,

by the way I don't have to justify how much work I do each day to anyone and certainly not YOU,,
    Suffice to say there are many hours of the day when I am not posting here, as is clearly shown (if you care to check my profile) where you will see I have an average of 5.53 posts a day.
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    The Liberal elite who left the mass immigration door open whilst themselves living in leafy suburbs like er surrey or chiswick for example.

London does need to sort itself out thats for sure but it does not seem capable does it with chinese and russian buiniess people buying off plan before locals have a chance.

Its the mass immigration ploicy of NU Labour and the "right on types" that have left the UK overpopulated whislt those already here suffer.

Including the NIMBYS who want housing for their children but not built near them.

No spite in me wanting decent housing for all i think with respect.:)

I have always believed council housing is there for those that need it not to give the poor a nest egg,in fact one of my dads ex workmates bemoaned the fact his sons could not get social housing,my dad said you know why that is don't you people have bought them,just like my dads ex workmate who had bought his.!

Yes their children have the advantage of no social housing left for them a nest egg is a very poor substitute.As a sidenote scores of ex council properties in my town are now turning up in some cases at treble the rent,with no security of tenure and sometimes p--s poor landlords.>:(

Yes - thank you for a good reply. :)
  • MiddleotroadMiddleotroad Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mRebel wrote: »
    When we had rent controls (Mrs T abolished them in the late eighties) rents were set locally. The rents of each area were gathered, extremely low and high omitted, and the regulated rent for each type of property would be determined. Housing benefit would not be paid above that level.

A combination of housing benefit cap and rent controls set locally sounds like a sensible approach to what is a genuine problem.

As for the proposal about three year tenancy agreements - daresay the devil will be in the details. Lots of posters referring to German rental market. Worth baring in mind that in Germany there is a culture of renting that we don't have. Tenancy agreements are typically long term. Five or even ten year contracts, I believe, are not unusual. Houses are often supplied empty - the tenants fully decorate and furnish the property. Which means the lets feel much more like the home of the tennant - to the benefit of both parties. Perhaps this is a culture which needs fostering over here.

The third proposal - scrapping letting agent fees. Can't see much complaint on here about that one!

Perhaps Ed needs to push this- he could be on to a winner!
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    He is providing homes for people, what is wrong with that? Where would they live otherwise? In the properties of other landlords?

In social housing if we built some instead of using the money to give over £20 billion a year to line the pockets of people like him via housing benefit. Nice little earner for him but no longer term benefit for the taxpayer as it's ongoing revenue spending. It could be used to finance housing investment instead.

It's what the Tories did in the 1930s and 1950s before the bankers and developers bought them!
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A combination of housing benefit cap and rent controls set locally sounds like a sensible approach to what is a genuine problem.

Trouble is the last time we tried rent controls it led to more homelessness and bad quality housing with the emergence of slum landlords like Rachman
    Perhaps Ed needs to push this- he could be on to a winner!

For those with short memories maybe. ;-)
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    Labour are to propose that private rent increases be limited to a benchmark figure based on the average market rise:

Annual rent-increase cap proposed by Labour

From the Independent:
    I'd argue that the unregulated private rental market has been for many years the main contribution to the "cost of living crisis" for a great many people. So aren't these proposals a badly needed step in the right direction?

This dud policy is just like Osborne's equally bad Help to Buy scheme and both fail to address the fundamental underlying problem of the lack of affordable houses to buy and the lack of social housing. That is where action is really needed.

The waste of space that was New Labour instantly found £30 billion for their botched wars but they couldn't find any substantive amounts of money for dealing with housing issues and the two current coalition parties just haven't bothered to address this important issue either. A plague on all their houses! (thanks, Mercutio)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is the last time we tried rent controls it led to more homelessness and bad quality housing with the emergence of slum landlords like Rachman

;-)

No it didn't. It was because of the likes of Rachman that regulation of rented property was introduced, and during the long period of regulation we never had the shortage of rented residencies and rent inflation the like of today.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    56% support the idea of governments introducing rent controls, 33% would rather landlords were free to set their rents

56% think Ed Miliband is right to suggest more government intervention on things like energy prices and rents, 29% it’s the wrong

Yougov
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mRebel wrote: »
    No it didn't. It was because of the likes of Rachman that regulation of rented property was introduced, and during the long period of regulation we never had the shortage of rented residencies and rent inflation the like of today.

We had regulation before we had Rachman. Poor quality housing is a symptom of rent controls around the world.
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    56% support the idea of governments introducing rent controls, 33% would rather landlords were free to set their rents

56% think Ed Miliband is right to suggest more government intervention on things like energy prices and rents, 29% it’s the wrong

Yougov

Expect it in the Tory policies tomorrow
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had regulation before we had Rachman. Poor quality housing is a symptom of rent controls around the world.

I don't about the rest of the world, but it wasn't so in Britain. The Rent Act of the seventies produced a much better rented property system than exists now,
  • thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »

Yougov

56% of turkey's vote for the abolition of christmas....
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thorr wrote: »
    56% of turkey's vote for the abolition of christmas....

The other 44% of turkeys vote Tory.

Merry Christmas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Currently a landlord can evict a tenant with 2 months notice, which makes many tenants reluctant to report landlords who refuse to carry out maintenance required by law, so greater security for tenants is needed.

There was a BTL landlord speaking on R5 today, and he's not opposed to that. The problem he pointed out was that most mortgage providers insist the property can be emptied quickly. And bizarrely, the governments own provider, forget its name, will only grant a mortgage on the insistence the property is not let to anybody in receipt of housing benefit!