Options

Calling all non football fans

Comments

• Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    3 what? Speak for yourself but I'll have around 55 matches to watch :)

Err, rather you than me, flower! But to cut a long story short, it is avoidable if you want to avoid it. So if those bitter ones whose countries haven't qualified are *that* bothered they can simply not take any interest.

As opposed to vehemently supporting the team playing England.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    I watch pretty much every game as well! I love it and I have so many countries I can choose from as well, the joys of being mixed race :D

Haha, yep... I've got my countries that I have links to and the countries that my kids have links to, and pretty much every match in between because it's not called the beautiful game for no reason :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, yep... I've got my countries that I have links to and the countries that my kids have links to, and pretty much every match in between because it's not called the beautiful game for no reason :p

These days it's called the beautiful game by the billionaire club owners who take the piss out of gullible 'fans'. In this country anyway.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You gonna not watch the news for a month? Or more if England do well >:(

You're kidding right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're kidding right?

Not sure he was...
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Err, rather you than me, flower! But to cut a long story short, it is avoidable if you want to avoid it. So if those bitter ones whose countries haven't qualified are *that* bothered they can simply not take any interest.

As opposed to vehemently supporting the team playing England.

What's not qualifying got to do with anything I'm English and just don't give a damn about it couldn't care less if England went out straight away or didn't qualify at all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's not qualifying got to do with anything I'm English and just don't give a damn about it couldn't care less if England went out straight away or didn't qualify at all

Which is fair enough. I suspect the OP may have OP'd for different reasons, however. Although he has yet to respond.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These days it's called the beautiful game by the billionaire club owners who take the piss out of gullible 'fans'. In this country anyway.

I agree, I enjoy watching La Liga and the Bundesliga far more than what passes for football in this country these days... I'll always be loyal to Arsenal because that's the team I grew up with but even then the Barca v Atletico title decider on Saturday has got me way more excited than the FA cup final.

It will always be the beautiful game to me and no billionaire club owner will ruin that.
  • Options
    Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the advantages of living on my own is that if there is any sport on the TV I can just switch it off without any arguments.

As for when I am not at home i.e. shopping, work etc it will be more difficult.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I agree, I enjoy watching La Liga and the Bundesliga far more than what passes for football in this country these days... I'll always be loyal to Arsenal because that's the team I grew up with but even then the Barca v Atletico title decider on Saturday has got me way more excited than the FA cup final.

It will always be the beautiful game to me and no billionaire club owner will ruin that.

I agree with this, the skill is a million times better than what we have here, sometimes I prefer to watch the football league show as well because the passion the players show is lost in so many of the big teams now it's all about money :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My Man City-supporting mate sent me a text the other day going on about how fabulous everything was, but it didn't ring true. What connection do any of that bunch of mercenaries have with Manchester?? And you could say the same thing about virtually every Premier League team. My nearest one has no affinity with the city other than playing at that particular ground. There are no local players/manager/owners. Yet people trudge off like hypnotised sheep to watch them every week. Mind boggling.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angela F wrote: »
    One of the advantages of living on my own is that if there is any sport on the TV I can just switch it off without any arguments..

I feel the same about soaps, reality TV and celebrity shows.

Looking forward to the World Cup and I'm planning on watching every single game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    I agree with this, the skill is a million times better than what we have here, sometimes I prefer to watch the football league show as well because the passion the players show is lost in so many of the big teams now it's all about money :(

Yeah, MOTD has started to become that show that I sit through just to get to the good stuff after.

Spain v Netherlands and Germany v Ghana are the 2 world cup matches that I'm most looking forward to at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, MOTD has started to become that show that I sit through just to get to the good stuff after.

Oh, the irony... ;-)
  • Options
    No-OneNo-One Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm planning on avoiding as much of it as possible by making many trips to the cinema. If there's nothing on that takes my fancy I'll be making the best use of my netflix subscription/blu ray collection
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think this is a football appreciation thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »

Nothing gets past you, does it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really?! How could you tell?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing gets past you, does it.
    Really?! How could you tell?
    If only there were a forum such as 'Football' where one could discuss the wonders of football with like minded people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only there were a forum such as 'Football' where one could discuss the wonders of football with like minded people.

You've taken irony to a whole new level there. I admit, I don't geddit. You win.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When's it on? I have a feeling I'm on holiday for much of the time that it's happening. It should be pretty easy to avoid it in Italy..... won't it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitchell and Webb summed up football for me:

http://youtu.be/MusyO7J2inM
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Plenty of other things to do.

Will hardly get mentioned at work either.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    What will you be doing to avoid World Cup mania this summer?

As far as I can see, it is pretty much unavoidable.

Can't see very far then.

:p
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Although for the sake of my many English friends, and my wife's family, who are rabid England fans, I'd be happy to see England do well in the World Cup, I'm more concerned about France's opening games, v Honduras June 15, v Switzerland June20, and v Ecuador June 25.
    My elder son, living in Nord-Rhein Westphalia, and having dual English and German nationality, would not look out of the widow if the World Cup was played in his back yard.
    My two German grandsons however, while wishing England and France well, are of the opinion, 'Germany, may she always be right, but Germany right or wrong.'
    This nags at me a bit, for it was probably the same ethos that their maternal Grandpa had when he slogged into Russia in 1941, at age 17.