Passports

2»

Comments

• GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    The_Moth wrote: »
    It's amazing to me that a recruitment freeze and constant demands to get rid of public sector workers could affect delivery of services.

:D

This.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yvette Cooper ripping Theresa May apart.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just received ours..delivered by courier as promised by text 3 weeks after applying. Well done H M Passports.
  • andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    That would be the sensible thing make sure you have an up to date passport and THEN book holidays and weddings?

"Darling, will you marry me, provided your passport has more than 6 months still to run"
  • taskertasker Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yvette Cooper ripping Theresa May apart.

Yvette Cooper couldn't rip a paper bag apart, she is like all Labour female MP's bitter, horrible, spiteful and angry .
    The sort of woman we used to be scared of when we were younger, always the woman down the street who's kid's were angels and never did anything wrong.
    People need to take more responsibility and not want a new passport today delivered yesterday because they are going away next week and then complaining when they don't get it.
    It is the same as the increase in fines for speeding and using mobile phones. Don't break the law and you won't be fined, check your passport before you need it and don't expect the passport office to do it all at your beck and call.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    tasker wrote: »
    Yvette Cooper couldn't rip a paper bag apart, she is like all Labour female MP's bitter, horrible, spiteful and angry .
    The sort of woman we used to be scared of when we were younger, always the woman down the street who's kid's were angels and never did anything wrong.
    People need to take more responsibility and not want a new passport today delivered yesterday because they are going away next week and then complaining when they don't get it.
    It is the same as the increase in fines for speeding and using mobile phones. Don't break the law and you won't be fined, check your passport before you need it and don't expect the passport office to do it all at your beck and call.

Oh dear. Has political debate fallen this low? Very sad.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    andykn wrote: »
    "Darling, will you marry me, provided your passport has more than 6 months still to run"

yes everyone proposes and ends up on their honeymoon within 6 months.

the vast majority could plan around renewing their passport. it is after all something you have 10 years notice of.

the problem is people who travel a lot and can't go without it for a few weeks.
  • falirofaliro Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    3rd world bureaucracy concerning the passport renewal process. Not surprising.
  • ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    yes everyone proposes and ends up on their honeymoon within 6 months.

the vast majority could plan around renewing their passport. it is after all something you have 10 years notice of.

the problem is people who travel a lot and can't go without it for a few weeks.
    Ah, but that involves people taking responsibility for something. Not the lefty, Labour way - the government should be responsible for everything. I mean, should not the passport office be sending reminders to people? It's an outrage!!
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecco66 wrote: »
    Ah, but that involves people taking responsibility for something. Not the lefty, Labour way - the government should be responsible for everything. I mean, should not the passport office be sending reminders to people? It's an outrage!!

Except they charge you over £70 just to renew a passport, if there was no charge then that's a different kettle of fish.
  • ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    Lots of people are unable to plan effectively, and due to online services Amazon etc expect instant gratification. A cry of increased numbers of Passport staff but that is crazy way to staff for a seasonal peak, unless Labour are proposing zero-hours contracts?

People in my office plan their overseas holidays around Nov-Feb for July-Sept, they don't leave it to the last minute.

There are genuine cases, such as people who don't ordinarily travel suddenly having too, beyond a holiday, such as business, family crisis/tragedy for them I have some sympathy.

As to cost, if you want to combat passport fraud and possible organised crime and terrorism then those systems and checks cost money, lots of money and needs to be essentially self funding.
  • SlugerSluger Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    the passport office nearly fell apart under the last government.

So the Tories are just finishing the job off then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Except they charge you over £70 just to renew a passport, if there was no charge then that's a different kettle of fish.
    It would have cost more had the government not reduced it by £5 in 2012.

The cost of something is not proportionate to the amount of nannying by the government.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecco66 wrote: »
    It would have cost more had the government not reduced it by £5 in 2012.

The cost of something is not proportionate to the amount of nannying by the government.

I know, I'm merely pointing out if you are paying directly for something such delays are less likely to be tolerated than if you aren't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    I know, I'm merely pointing out if you are paying directly for something such delays are less likely to be tolerated than if you aren't.
    Oh I see, yes fair point.
    Forum Member
    Sluger wrote: »
    So the Tories are just finishing the job off then.

this i just a blip compared to the last one. the last one had 600,000 passports backlogged, and worse was entirely predictable.
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have the Tories suggested privatisation yet?
    Forum Member
    faliro wrote: »
    3rd world bureaucracy concerning the passport renewal process. Not surprising.

what do you mean by 3rd world bureaucracy?

it's a confusing image.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect they spend the winter months practically idle.

People should organise themselves better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect they spend the winter months practically idle.

People should organise themselves better.
    They should price passports like airlines price fares, according to demand. People would understand that :D
  • thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a crazy notion. Have a valid passport before you book your holiday! It is valid for 10 years you know!!

Trouble is people have grown accustom to getting things instantly.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Free passports if your going on holiday soon. Who's going to catch onto that one? Do those who have already paid receive a refund?
  • JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was surprised to see this. I had my passport nicked at the end of last year (a few months after buying a new one, ugh) and my replacement came pretty quickly, less than a month. I'm overseas too so it should have took ages.
    Here's a crazy notion. Have a valid passport before you book your holiday! It is valid for 10 years you know!!

Trouble is people have grown accustom to getting things instantly.
    I think the 10 year validity is the key to why people forget. When you have to do something only a few times a lifetime you tend not to think of having to do it.