Options

Do you speak to your pet like it's a baby ?

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have to say I certainly don't speak to my cat like that. But just wandered down to the mini supermarket to get some eggs, and heard a woman speak to her poodle who was out in the front garden - she was saying in a really stupid simpering voice, "C'mon then, come to Mummy. Is little baby coming to his Mummy for a little cuddle then"

I got to wondering how others speak to their pets, if indeed, they speak to them at all.

The cat doesn't respond to her name being called, but if I shout "Are you hungry ?" she comes belting back from wherever, at a rate of knots. Those are words she recognises. So I've decided that will be her name from now on when I call her. .

Comments

• Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tell my cats I love them if they're in the house when I leave for work.

I also say "hello baby" if they come in from outside, or if they're waiting for me when I get home. To me, they are like my children, as I can't have any myself, so they're the next best thing.

One of my cats even has a chat with me, where I talk, she miaows back and me and so on.

They understand certain words like chicken, biscuits and milk. (Cat milk)
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I speak to him as if he can answer back :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but then i don't speak to my baby like he is a baby either :s
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »
    I tell my cats I love them if they're in the house when I leave for work.

I also say "hello baby" if they come in from outside, or if they're waiting for me when I get home. To me, they are like my children, as I can't have any myself, so they're the next best thing.

One of my cats even has a chat with me, where I talk, she miaows back and me and so on.

They understand certain words like chicken, biscuits and milk. (Cat milk)

They certainly do :)

I do speak to Amber, but it's normally sensible things like, "God, what a day, puss. Good to be back home. What's your day been like ?" - of course she doesn't understand, but she looks sympathetic - bit like you speak to yours CBFreak :kitty:
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have long discussions on Poetry, Art, philosophy, Politics and Current Affairs with my little Lhasa Dylan.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brooke does know her name, its just that much of the time she's got better things to be doing than come to see what her slave wants her for:D
    Though I live alone I do talk to her (quite normally!) as I feel its important for her to know what I sound like in case I ever do need to roam the streets calling for her, I also say her name a lot when giving her treats.
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to talk to Jess all the time, about everything and anything. Not with a baby voice though but sometimes a different voice for sure but mostly just normal.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends how lovable they are being at the time, sometimes normal voice normal conversation when they do their upside sleeping or lay grinning in my arms then it's baby talk and silly voices.

When blowing a raspberry on their tummies it's hard to talk of day to day things it has to be baby talk !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Not like a baby but I think I speak to my pets in a higher pitched voice that I do with humans.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have pets any more (too upsetting when you lose them) but used to have three cats. The boy cat was called Benjamin but because he was the youngest I would often call him 'Baby' - he responded to both names :D:cool:
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in a baby voice as such, but I certainly do talk to all my pets, like asking the rabbits if they want to go in their run or asking Meg if she want to take the ball or frisbee to the park:D it doesn't matter that they can't reply, the point is that I am interacting with them by talking to them, they hear my voice and get used to it and realise that treats and stuff appears when they hear me, which certainly helps tame up small furries, I can't imagine having a pet and not talking to it, what would be the point in having one if you didn't communicate with it? They learn your voice and your tone , they learn to read your voice so know when your happy or when your not, they pick up on things you don't even realise are there from hearing you and they relax when they hear someone familiar.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not like a baby as such... but I certainly give lots of enthusiastic praise in a high pitched tone to my dog, that's a good reward n her view ;-)
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    Yep totally guilty.
    I am friendly with all cats - i wave over enthusiastically and sometimes i do say hi. They must think i am insane. I do talk a bit to the neighbours cat when i see her because she is a lovely little thing.

I am very bad with my actual Cat. In part due to my huge love for him and also my general love of cats. But i am battling infertility so right now my cat Salem is in a way my baby. I am not ashamed to be a cat mommy. I love him to bits and having him around is great comfort in times i feel down because of my condition. Giving him a cuddle or kiss makes me feel so much better. When he is asleep sometimes i cradle him in my arms like i would a baby. It is a way of me coping.

Of course i talk to him , my fiance does the same. Him in a mushy baby voice not so much. I talk to him a normal voice as well however most of the time.
    Most cat owners talk to their cats they have to when telling them off for example just general comments such as 'Salem, there is your food' for example.
    Why have a pet if there is no communication at all. They are a huge part of the family after all.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »

When blowing a raspberry on their tummies it's hard to talk of day to day things it has to be baby talk !

Glad im not the only one! Mines not got much fur on his belly and loves a raspberry :D

I talk to him normally when im alone as hes company. He knows key words but ignores anything else.

But if i say gobbledygook in a higher pitched voice he loves it! He gets all excited amd playful when i do baby talk that isnt real words.

I dont do it in front of other people though.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep. I also ask did you miss your mummy when i've been out and ask for kisses. I'm a disgusting human being!
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - guilty as charged :blush:
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I totally do this.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yup I do to my cockatiel , he responds to it better than normal talk lol
  • Options
    PDS1985PDS1985 Posts: 29,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I do, sometimes. :blush:
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have chats with my cat. I don't know if she understand what I am saying but she doesn't run off.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I spent the last week explaining every aspect of redecorating a kitchen to my spaniel. :blush:

I'm not entirely sure she took it all on-board (and, besides, I'm not sure she can hold a screwdriver or paintbrush properly) but I suspect that the most important thing is to make a pet feel like they're "involved" in whatever is going on around them and that's probably the best reason to talk to them.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Not as a baby, no. I am always talking to them (two (brother) cats) though, and they do have 'pet' names, like Baby Boy, Gorgeous Boy, Handsome Boy etc. They really do understand a lot, such as shall we hang the washing out?. Are we going out the back, are you hungry, do you want your dinner, are you ready for bed? Loads more. Love them to bits.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    No. I mainly speak to my two pets in a "You know better" tone of voice lol.

And when I speak to my baby in baby speak my cat gives me a superb "WTF is wrong with you?!" look.
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't deliberately talk to the Beast as if he is a baby, but I speak to him in a softer voice - Unless he is being a git.

Generally when I get home from work he appears like the witch in Chorlton and the Wheelies and squeaks.

Me - Alright little mate

Him - Squeak

Me - Have you been good

Him - Squeak

Me - Have you been fed (whilst giving him a stroke)

Him - Squeak

Me - Is that so, mum has been starving you, isn't she evil, come on lets see what we can find. (Picks him up and we bash faces)

Him - Purr

OH (on entering the house) - don't feed the cat he's been fed plenty today already!!

Repeat on a daily basis:p
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    misha06 wrote: »
    I don't deliberately talk to the Beast as if he is a baby, but I speak to him in a softer voice - Unless he is being a git.

Generally when I get home from work he appears like the witch in Chorlton and the Wheelies and squeaks.

Me - Alright little mate

Him - Squeak

Me - Have you been good

Him - Squeak

Me - Have you been fed (whilst giving him a stroke)

Him - Squeak

Me - Is that so, mum has been starving you, isn't she evil, come on lets see what we can find. (Picks him up and we bash faces)

Him - Purr

OH (on entering the house) - don't feed the cat he's been fed plenty today already!!

Repeat on a daily basis:p

:D:D:D