Options

Will ukip take Newark ?

Comments

• Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    He's a well respected, well liked and successful politician in the East Midlands.
    jjwales wrote: »
    I've certainly heard of Roger Helmer. He's notorious for his controversial views on rape and homosexuality, amongst others.

These two statements are not mutually exclusive, are they?

That could say a lot about the East Midlands.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can he be "well respected" with views like that? :confused:

Your "confusion" symbol tells you all you need to know.
    LakieLady wrote: »
    These two statements are not mutually exclusive, are they?

That could say a lot about the East Midlands.

What could they say about the East Midlands that they couldn't say about large areas of the country.

If both or either of you want to have an away day, Farage is in Newark today. You could stay overnight and into Monday to see an array of MEPs, their office is near Northgate station. Of course the Tories have been there in force but it won't make any difference to the likelihood of them losing thousands of votes and maybe the by-election.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    I reckon they will fail by 2000 votes

I have a feeling that they will come pretty close, but maybe not quite close enough.

Losing by 2000 votes seems about right.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Your "confusion" symbol tells you all you need to know.
    What, that I'm right to be confused?
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Farage is talking about standing in Doncaster, Miliband's seat, at the GE.

I don't see much mileage in him doing that.

It would be a great scalp though, although I think I would rather see Ed Balls get unseated.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see much mileage in him doing that.

It would be a great scalp though, although I think I would rather see Ed Balls get unseated.

Yes, I don't think there's any need for Farage to stand until the GE, and then in one of the Kent or Essex 'floating voter' marginals where UKIP have seen a sustained surge.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've certainly heard of Roger Helmer. He's notorious for his controversial views on rape and homosexuality, amongst others.

I've just looked him up. Some of his comments on gay marriage rung a bell but I couldn't put a name to them.
    If i remember correctly I think he's the bloke who was on a r5 phone-in trying to defend his opposition to gay marriage by suggesting such dumb things as it would lead to siblings marrying or someone marrying their cat .

So a former tory MEP semi homophobic geriatric is the best UKIP could put up?

Don't think I'll panic about the rise of the kippers just yet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What could they say about the East Midlands that they couldn't say about large areas of the country.

I very much doubt if anyone with Helmer's views would get selected where I live. Even local Tories would baulk at selecting a homophobe just a few miles from Brighton, and his views on rape would be a handicap too.
  • Options
    longpiggylongpiggy Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davzer wrote: »
    The experience of the Lib dems suggests it is pretty hard to break the two party system in the UK as far as Westminster is concerned.

The next GE is going to be interesting - will these UKIP voters move back to the other 3 after it if, as expected, UKIP get a decent share of the English vote but don't convert into actual seats like the Libs have been doing for decades?

I am no supporter of UKIP (am SNP - but then I have another option, see) but I am also politically realistic. Once the General Public down south get that the norm is no more and there are alternatives they vote - whether that is good, bad or indifferent is not the issue here. Stop having a knee jerk reaction in your head.

The reason the SNP have, and probably will continue, to be the Party of power in Scotland is far less about people's attitude to independence but under the current system they are the best option for implementing real, practical policies that people want to see. And have done it more or less (political bias aside - this post is about perception rather than actual politics).

That is a very different mind set to the party political game, and once you break that in voters heads all bets are off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    I've just looked him up. Some of his comments on gay marriage rung a bell but I couldn't put a name to them.
    If i remember correctly I think he's the bloke who was on a r5 phone-in trying to defend his opposition to gay marriage by suggesting such dumb things as it would lead to siblings marrying or someone marrying their cat .

So a former tory MEP semi homophobic geriatric is the best UKIP could put up?

Don't think I'll panic about the rise of the kippers just yet

See a previous post by me on being politically realistic. Google John Hayes - an actual Minister in Government-like- these views are not a one way street, sadly. Perception and publicity.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    It isn't a case that it goes or doesn't go through Newark, it's the shear cost of HS2, how the money could be better spent and how large swathes of the countryside can be preserved.

The problem is that something needs to be done to upgrade public transport in this country, but whatever is suggested will be classed as too expensive or too destructive by someone.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    longpiggy wrote: »
    See a previous post by me on being politically realistic. Google John Hayes - an actual Minister in Government-like- these views are not a one way street, sadly. Perception and publicity.

Apart from the photograph on conservatives.com and wiki that afaic sends all the wrong messages in the "trust me" department I can't really find much about him.

Give us a pointer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    Apart from the photograph on conservatives.com and wiki that afaic sends all the wrong messages in the "trust me" department I can't really find much about him.

Give us a pointer.

Voting record especially around Gay marriage etc oh and just poor turn up record... Be fair to the guy great public speaker - just stay on anodyne subjects - yes before anyone asks I have met him in private (like Harman) and no not political - God I jump through hoops!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    The problem is that something needs to be done to upgrade public transport in this country, but whatever is suggested will be classed as too expensive or too destructive by someone.

They could do a huge amount to upgrade public transport in this country, but all the time they're spending god knows how many billions on HS2, only the small number of people who want to get from the NW or W Midlands to London in record time will benefit.

Meanwhile, successive train operators in the south east treat their customers like cattle, knowing that they cannot vote with their feet unless they can find local jobs. The decrepit rolling stock, poor track maintenance and lines running close to capacity means that the slightest hitch brings the system to a halt. The poor commuter has no alternative in many areas.

Anyone who doesn't believe me should try the First Capital Connect service from Sussex to Blackfriars.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    I cant see an anti HS2 campaign resonating with people not affected by it. I know someone whose parents would lose their home and If it went 2 miles away they wouldn't care less about it.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    I cant see an anti HS2 campaign resonating with people not affected by it. I know someone whose parents would lose their home and If it went 2 miles away they wouldn't care less about it.

Not true.

I think there are lots of people now living in areas where local train services were axed who are having to commute for everything, not just work, and are looking at the abandoned railway lines (where they still exist) and asking why they can't be reinstated if there is this kind of money available.

Environmentally that would be a winner, cuts down on car use.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I expect them

I know someone from Newark who is sick of all the Polish and immigrants there.
  • Options
    HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Yes I expect them

But they are up against a massive majority . It's like saying will the Greens win the GE !?
    Could be very interesting though ...
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Yes I expect them

Shame if they express it that way though.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    They could do a huge amount to upgrade public transport in this country, but all the time they're spending god knows how many billions on HS2, only the small number of people who want to get from the NW or W Midlands to London in record time will benefit.

Meanwhile, successive train operators in the south east treat their customers like cattle, knowing that they cannot vote with their feet unless they can find local jobs. The decrepit rolling stock, poor track maintenance and lines running close to capacity means that the slightest hitch brings the system to a halt. The poor commuter has no alternative in many areas.

Anyone who doesn't believe me should try the First Capital Connect service from Sussex to Blackfriars.

Are you really trying to persuade us that rail services in the SE and around London are getting a rum-deal because of a proposal to increase rail capacity to the northern regions? Really?

Tell you what, I'll swap you some of your FCC 319s for our Pacers here out west (once we get electrified).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voting record especially around Gay marriage etc oh and just poor turn up record... Be fair to the guy great public speaker - just stay on anodyne subjects - yes before anyone asks I have met him in private (like Harman) and no not political - God I jump through hoops!

I'm finding it difficult to follow what you're saying. Are you saying you've met him in a situation where politics weren't involved? What did you think of him as a person?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I expect them

Why so down on the Polish? I've always found them charming people, kind, polite and very hospitable. And very hard-working.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Are you really trying to persuade us that rail services in the SE and around London are getting a rum-deal because of a proposal to increase rail capacity to the northern regions? Really?

Tell you what, I'll swap you some of your FCC 319s for our Pacers here out west (once we get electrified).

In all honesty we're all affected, not just by the railway network but by the infrastructure as a whole. The roads and road network in this country are a disaster as are the railways. And all caused by years of neglecting to forward plan, permit sudden population growth, particularly regional growth, and set aside enough money to carry out the work.

Consecutive governments have made serious mistakes in planning in all areas of infrastructure; HS2 is but one example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding it difficult to follow what you're saying. Are you saying you've met him in a situation where politics weren't involved? What did you think of him as a person?

Both, Look, I would not consider him a "bad" person in any way - fundamentally disagree with his views on some issues. That's how I just react to people in general. But his views like many politicians I have the fortune and misfortune to meet in private are just that, opinions. And I either listen or walk away at that point. I don't need to when the private views become public record. The point I was making was ALL parties have the odious in them, and as stated elsewhere I am far from UKIP - but I am realistic and non-partisan (most of the time).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both, Look, I would not consider him a "bad" person in any way - fundamentally disagree with his views on some issues. That's how I just react to people in general. But his views like many politicians I have the fortune and misfortune to meet in private are just that, opinions. And I either listen or walk away at that point. I don't need to when the private views become public record. The point I was making was ALL parties have the odious in them, and as stated elsewhere I am far from UKIP - but I am realistic and non-partisan (most of the time).

Would you mind if I gave up trying to understand what you're saying or would you like to have another crack at it?