Options

In vino veritas - Terry not as clever as he likes to make out

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't get me started on Boadicea.

What do you prefer John - Boo Dick er or Bo diss ia?!
    :D:D

Think it is now on it's second rotation since I was at school - maybe because teachers today were taught by my generation!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    just to put my two cents in...

I am a Latin teacher and I pronounce Vs as Ws but another member of my department pronounces vs as vs. It is partly due to the fact that in some manuscripts vs were written as us but aside from that no one can really have a clue how it was pronounced so to each his own I say!

x
  • Options
    XXRunXXXXRunXX Posts: 2,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omah wrote: »
    Boudica (also spelled Boudicca, formerly known as Boadicea, and known in Welsh as "Buddug")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudica

:cool:

Thanks for that:)
    I can still remember going to see her statue in parliament square many many many years ago! That's how my primary school teacher pronounced it so that's how it sounds in my head.
    And they reckon education is dumbing down nowadays pfft :mad:
  • Options
    IdlecatIdlecat Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, my two years of Latin at school taught me well.

Terry was correct.
    Those of us who went to Grammar schools in the 50's and 60' s were taught that V was W ,
    maybe it's changed.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    IdlecatIdlecat Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^I was going to add the Boudica thing too but not sure of the spelling.:confused:
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nikkimcd wrote: »

I am a Latin teacher and I pronounce Vs as Ws but another member of my department pronounces vs as vs. It is partly due to the fact that in some manuscripts vs were written as us but aside from that no one can really have a clue how it was pronounced so to each his own I say!

x
    Yes, that might be what my Latin teacher said. That there was no proof so to pronounce it the way it looked. People generally don't say 'in wino weritas' in common conversation (in my experience) so, to me, Terry sounded a little silly.
  • Options
    Billy NomatesBilly Nomates Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    Idlecat wrote: »
    Those of us who went to Grammar schools in the 50's and 60' s were taught that V was W ,

The poster you quoted here said the same thing about V making the sound of W.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry, are you rolling your eyes at me? I'm agreeing that v is pronounced w. Although there is a continuing argument about this rule, its how I was taught at a normal state school in the late 80s.
  • Options
    dizzyblondedizzyblonde Posts: 5,897
    Forum Member

That's interesting. I had 2 different Latin teachers (in the 90's)and similar to you, they pronounced words differently. When I asked, I was told that Catholic taught teachers of Latin usually used V as V, but the more authentic was probably the W sound. (because of comparisons with loaned words I think)

PS - I loved Latin
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has actually - in common popular usage. Have you ever heard anyone (outside a school latin class) say it like Terry?
  • Options
    Master AquariusMaster Aquarius Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm no linguist but I was under the impression that V makes a W sound in Latin?

Unless it's Church Latin.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delete
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I it wasn't for Terry we wouldnt be having this discussion about Boadicea, Latin etc. That's why I like him. Without him it would be hair straighteners, hos (sp?) and biting your toenails.

I have learned some new stuff reading this thread and how can that ever be a bad thing?
  • Options
    CigaristCigarist Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    During his discussion about Latin yesterday Terry quoted the famous latin phrase 'in vino veritas' but unless my ears deceived me pronounced it completely wrong as 'in weeno wereitas'.

Now I know its not up there with 6 eggs make a dozen but for someone like Terry who seems to pride himself on his knowledge, I was surprised as its quite a funny mistake to make.

I don't think he is as well read as he makes out.

haha ur the big fool now:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

x

I didn't realise what I started with this thread...

I agree with this, as no one really knows each to their own. I do agree though that the 'w' pronunciation sounds stupid, it's like someone not pronouncing their r's properly.

It must be a first for DS for everyone to be right :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cigarist wrote: »

haha big fool ur if you don't read all the replies and see that half (and the Oxford English Dictionary) agree with me :D
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Andy_G wrote: »
    Wait till Biggus Dickus hears of this.
    I miss Bigus Dickus :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cigarist wrote: »

Oh I don't know, they seem to be able to write in English fine. ;)

:D
    I didn't realise what I started with this thread...

I agree with this, as no one really knows each to their own. I do agree though that the 'w' pronunciation sounds stupid, it's like someone not pronouncing their r's properly.

It must be a first for DS for everyone to be right :D

I'm not having that, I demand that someone is found to be in the wrong. :D
  • Options
    PedanticPedantic Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SoapsRme wrote: »
    *falls off chair, laughing*

Good one :thumbsup: (Oh drat "thumbsup" is on another forum - wish we had a thumbsup smiley ) :(

Ummmm.... you do realise of course... that the 'thumbs up' sign... actually meant 'death' not 'save'..... according to the Romans... :p:D

It's like confusion over a vote to 'evict' or vote to 'save'.... The basis of a sideways clenched fist with a raised thumb was originally the equivalent to a vote to 'evict'.... ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I don't know, they seem to be able to write in English fine. ;)

:D

I'm not having that, I demand that someone is found to be in the wrong. :D
    Oh that's easy surely.

The person who claimed that Terry's pronounciation was "completely wrong".

Incorrect statement = wrong.

And starting a thread about it in the manner in which they did, questioning Terry's intellect, simply adds to it.
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss Bigus Dickus :(

I dont miss Incontinentia Buttocks.

The cream worked wonders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pres.F wrote: »
    Oh that's easy surely.

The person who claimed that Terry's pronounciation was "completely wrong".

Incorrect statement = wrong.

And starting a thread about it in the manner in which they did, questioning Terry's intellect, simply adds to it.

Fair do's, although Ecclesiastical Latin pronounces the V as V, the fact that Classical Latin pronounces the V as W would indicate that Terry was indeed correct as opposed to being"completely wrong".

So yes, I agree with your findings. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

x

I don't think that's right. I am not a Latin teacher but there is more to the debate than 'no one can really have a clue': up to around the 1st century AD it was clearly pronounced as a W - texts sometimes use a V interchangeably with a vowel or a Greek letter known to have a soft W-type sound. From the 1st century AD it became a V (sometimes used interchangeably with a B, which is not startlingly like a V but is a lot less like a W). Terry was using a perfectly acceptable classical Latin pronunciation, though not one that medieval scholars would have accepted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair do's, although Ecclesiastical Latin pronounces the V as V, the fact that Classical Latin pronounces the V as W would indicate that Terry was indeed correct as opposed to being"completely wrong".

So yes, I agree with your findings. :D
    The funny thing is, I'd imagine Terry is more than aware of the different pronunciations of the Latin V.

The same can certainly not be said for the OP who was, ironically, claiming Terry is not as clever as he thinks. An accusation which would perhaps be better pointed elsewhere