Adele's up for an Oscar...

2»

Comments

• SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going slightly off-topic, I noticed that the song never had a proper music video. I'd presumed that the lyric video was rushed out to get the song on TV and that we'd get the usual type featuring Adele and clips from the film soon afterwards. Such a video could've given quite a dull song more impact.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dizzle wrote: »
    The best original song award is the biggest dud of the Oscars. In its 80 year history, they've had a hell of a lot more misses than hits. And nobody really cares about it in all honesty, not even the Academy - as reflected with there being just two nominations in the category a couple of years ago.

As Skyfall is a high profile song by a high profile artist, I wouldn't be surprised if she won. However, I can't see Les Mis winning anything in any other category so they might get a sympathy win here too.

Anne Hathaway has Best Supporting Actress pretty much sewn up. Otherwise, you're probably right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Anyone else think Norah Jones's "Everybody Needs A Best Friend" was only nominated so host Seth MacFarlane would have a nomination (he co-wrote the song with Walter Murphy)? For that one reason alone, I think "Everybody Needs A Best Friend" may win...

(Sounds ridiculous, but I wouldn't put that kind of conspiracy past the Academy...)
  • DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anne Hathaway has Best Supporting Actress pretty much sewn up. Otherwise, you're probably right.

:eek: I completely forgot about Hathaway! Oh well then, Les Mis has one in the bag, this one will probably go to Adele.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Dreary dull song. Monotone.

Sounds like a Glasgow pub singer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomas Newman composed the song, shouldn't he get the Oscar?
  • SnikpohSnikpoh Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drdaws wrote: »
    Thomas Newman composed the song, shouldn't he get the Oscar?

I thought the song was composed by Adele, and Paul Epworth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snikpoh wrote: »
    I thought the song was composed by Adele, and Paul Epworth.

Yes, you are correct. My mistake sorry.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a pretty good song, always has been. It was a bit better in Diamonds are Forever though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Dame Shirl' is in a whole class or more better than Adele.
    Diamonds Are Forever is a better song as well.

Adele really is massively overhyped in my opinion - terrible voice. Only got the fame she has because she's different from the norm - like Susan Boyle and Amy Winehouse.

Skyfall sounds like a drunk propping up the bar.
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think skyfall sounds like Vic Reeves pub singer.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Magic Man wrote: »
    Dreary dull song. Monotone.

Sounds like a Glasgow pub singer.

Just been to see the film and you're right, it is a dreadful dirge. And what is with the accent she's singing it in? 'Ska-faaawwwll, Let it c-wummmbbaaawwwlll'. Frickin' awful:(
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what is with the accent she's singing it in?

It is odd but I also find her singing on that song weird, with all the high notes. It's not her usual style and makes me think the song was really meant for someone like Amy Winehouse.
  • Bandit1200SBandit1200S Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't recognise this Adele woman if I walked past her in the street, but the songs OK'ish though I suppose.

The Oscar's and The Academy are a joke anyway IMHO.