Options

CVBS & RGB Help!

I'm looking at a buying a DVD Recorder. Thing is it says that it doesn't take RGB input through the scart only composite?

Is this going to be a problem for me because I want to attach and record from a freeview box? There is a setting on the freeview box that lets you choose the output either RGB or CVBS, but if I change it to CVBS output the TV picture is horrible, but on RGB output it looks fine.

Help, confused! :confused: Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which model were you looking at? You need to find a DVD recorder that accepts RGB in via SCART.

Composite is indeed not as good as RGB, but whether it's a problem for you or not only you can decide! VCRs could only ever record and play back in composite.

You might not need to change your Freeview box to composite. Does it have a VCR output socket? If so, it will probably output composite from that socket anyway which you will then connect to your recorder. Leave the TV socket at RGB.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Which model were you looking at? You need to find a DVD recorder that accepts RGB in via SCART.

It's a Lite On 5115GHC
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Lite On 5115GHC
    Where have you seen the specs for it that say it can only input composite?

PS take a look at my original reply again, I had edited it since you replied!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking at a buying a DVD Recorder. Thing is it says that it doesn't take RGB input through the scart only composite?

Are you sure it says composite and not component?

EDIT: Just had a look at the specs.

SCART input 1 (CVBS, RGB in, Decorder)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've seen it here on ebuyer

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/101916/rb/21120131472

It says "SCART input 1 ( CVBS in, Decoder )"

And one of the reviews says it doesnt take RGB in only composite??????

Is CVBS Composite or Component?????
    I'm confused :confused:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the guy is saying is Scart 1 does not take a RGB feed only composite. Could be down to something he is doing wrong.

It clearly states Scart 1 excepts RGB as an input on LiteOns site.

Might be worth contacting the manufactuer just to make sure.

CVBS - Composite Video Blanking Sync
    CVBS - Composite Video Broadcast Signal

Composite will not pass and is not compatible to RGB whereas component is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TommyW wrote:
    What the guy is saying is Scart 1 does not take a RGB feed only composite. Could be down to something he is doing wrong.

It clearly states Scart 1 excepts RGB as an input on LiteOns site.

Might be worth contacting the manufactuer just to make sure.

CVBS - Composite Video Blanking Sync
    CVBS - Composite Video Broadcast Signal

Composite will not pass and is not compatible to RGB whereas component is.

Cheers TommyW for taking the time to help
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to spend slightly more, other options are:

1. A DVD recorder with built-in Freeview - so you can record one Freeview channel on the recorder while watching another via your Freeview box. Saves messing about with the SCART issue. I *think* DVD/Freeview recorders are available now?

2. A Freeview PVR (hard disk recorder), either with single or twin tuner. Again, this will give you the facility of recording one channel while watching another (or recording 2 while watching another) and you can record hours at a time instead of a maximum of 2 hours average on a single DVD. Unless you particularly want to record onto DVD.

3. A DVD recorder with built-in hard disk. Record lots of hours at a time onto hard disk then edit them and archive to DVD. But you can't record one Freeview channel while watching another unless you get...

4. A DVD recorder with built-in hard disk AND Freeview tuner! All the advantages of all 3 above. Again, I think there are models around now that do this.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    2. A Freeview PVR (hard disk recorder), either with single or twin tuner. Again, this will give you the facility of recording one channel while watching another (or recording 2 while watching another) and you can record hours at a time instead of a maximum of 2 hours average on a single DVD. Unless you particularly want to record onto DVD.

4. A DVD recorder with built-in hard disk AND Freeview tuner! All the advantages of all 3 above. Again, I think there are models around now that do this.

While this option (No.4) will allow you to record to DVD it will not give you all the advantages of a twin tuner hard drive PVR (Your No.2).
    For instance you will not be able to record 2 Freeview channels at the same time; because the present models with DVDR only have one Freeview tuner. In fact you will not even be able to watch one live Freeview channel and record another. You will be able to record one and watch a previous recording.

I dont think (I stand to be corrected on this one) that these DVDR/hard disk recorders can record two things at once even when making use of an additional external tuner be it digital or analogue.

Richard