Syndol tablets unavailable

kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,243
Forum Member
✭✭
It seems Syndol (tables for headaches etc) is unavailable at the moment in the UK. I have found they really work better than anything else. Does anyone know an equivalent, please?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They contained Paracetemol , Codeine and Caffeine and an anti histamine
    For pain the antihistamine would have no effect and the three other ingredients are availble in other tablets .Here in Ireland its Solpedeine .

Syndol
    SSL Healthcare Ireland Ltd
    Active ingredients
    Caffeine 30mg, codeine phosphate 10mg, doxylamine succinate 5mg and paracetamol 450mg
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, Abbasolutely. I'll get some of those. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Thanks, Abbasolutely. I'll get some of those. :)

Ask the pharmacist what they are called in the UK .You need Paractamol 500 , Codeine 8mgs and Caffeine .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ask the pharmacist what they are called in the UK .You need Paractamol 500 , Codeine 8mgs and Caffeine .
    I will! That's really helpful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will! That's really helpful.

Good luck , here in Ireland anything containing codiene is behind the counter and you get the Spanish Inquisition if you want them !!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck , here in Ireland anything containing codiene is behind the counter and you get the Spanish Inquisition if you want them !!!
    Yes, it's bad enough with Syndol.

They seem to have them on Amazon (Solpadeine):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solpadeine-Max-Tablets/dp/B001CL57C2/ref=pd_sim_d_5

so I should be able to get them from Boots.

You're a lifesaver!
  • Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boots have their own brand paracetamol and codeine tablets - other chemists have "own brand" versions as well. Obviously you could buy an expensive version but the shop brands has exactly the same ingredients at a fraction of the price. Caffeine tablets are cheap anywhere I believe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boots have their own brand paracetamol and codeine tablets - other chemists have "own brand" versions as well. Obviously you could buy an expensive version but the shop brands has exactly the same ingredients at a fraction of the price. Caffeine tablets are cheap anywhere I believe.
    Thanks. I didn't know there was an own brand version of Syndol. I'll ask at Boots. Might save some money! :)
  • Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this what you are after?

Paracetamol and Codeine - 2.25 for 32
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this what you are after?

Paracetamol and Codeine - 2.25 for 32
    I think it's these which are also out of stock:

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmacy-Tension-Headache-Tablets-24-Tablets_537998/

They may do the same job, though. Thanks for looking!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmacy-Tension-Headache-Tablets-24-Tablets_537998/

Do you mind me asking you what pain you take it for and if you need the drowsy effect of the anti histamine ? If yo only need it for pain the Paracetomol with codeine will do the job, caffeine doesnt ease pain it simply excellerates the the speed which codeine works .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mind me asking you what pain you take it for and if you need the drowsy effect of the anti histamine ? If yo only need it for pain the Paracetomol with codeine will do the job, caffeine doesnt ease pain it simply excellerates the the speed which codeine works .
    Just headaches and I don't need the drowsy effect (I don't seem to get drowsiness from Syndol). So the one's in Dangerous Dave's link would probably work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just headaches and I don't need the drowsy effect (I don't seem to get drowsiness from Syndol). So the one's in Dangerous Dave's link would probably work?

Yes they would work for you , you get both pain ingredients you had in Syndol in them so they should work .I am looking for ones without caffeine( it keeps me awake ) and The Boots ones will do me !! So off I go to Boots .Thanks !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent. Thanks to you both. It seems like I may not need to go back to Syndol at all! :)
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Co-codamol here.

Tesco Pharmacy £1.25 for 32.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QTC13 wrote: »
    Co-codamol here.

Tesco Pharmacy £1.25 for 32.
    Damn sight cheaper. I've been wasting money all these years!
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn sight cheaper. I've been wasting money all these years!

£1.35 Boots.
    £1.45 Rowlands Chemist.

Yes. Before someone says it I am.
  • dellydelly Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just googled the ingredients on this brand it included doxylamine succinate which is an anti histamine but is also used as an aid to sleep!! No wonder it may cause drowsiness!! Syndol is marketed for tension headache so maybe the combination works to reduce tension whereby just paracetamol and codeince would not. I have been wondering why syndol is unavailable too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delly wrote: »
    Just googled the ingredients on this brand it included doxylamine succinate which is an anti histamine but is also used as an aid to sleep!! No wonder it may cause drowsiness!! Syndol is marketed for tension headache so maybe the combination works to reduce tension whereby just paracetamol and codeince would not. I have been wondering why syndol is unavailable too.
    Mmm, yes that could be the magic ingredient (although I don't seem to get drowsy myself at all). Thanks, delly. That's something I may have to consider, after all.

I guess I'll have to try the codeine/paracetamol ones and then perhaps take something with that in as well, if it doesn't work or the Solpadeine.

It seems that there's a licensing problem with Syndol and time estimates are a couple of weeks to 6 months before it's on the shelves again:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/columnists/2012/02/07/claire-rees-talking-wm-sense-91466-30278326/#.TzDtQWGhmCs.twitter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The pharmacist at Boots said she didn't think Syndol will be made again.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the doxylamine in it that is a muscle relaxant so if you are using it for tension headaches that'll be why it helps, in which case codeine and paracetamol may not be the answer. Co-codamol doesn't contain caffeine but it is a lot cheaper than buying Solpadeine and the caffeine is added just to the tablets be absorbed a little faster. I'm not sure you can buy doxylamine in any other products, I think Syndol was the only OTC medication with that ingredient.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the doxylamine in it that is a muscle relaxant so if you are using it for tension headaches that'll be why it helps, in which case codeine and paracetamol may not be the answer. Co-codamol doesn't contain caffeine but it is a lot cheaper than buying Solpadeine and the caffeine is added just to the tablets be absorbed a little faster. I'm not sure you can buy doxylamine in any other products, I think Syndol was the only OTC medication with that ingredient.
    Yes, I think that's why Syndol would be the only thing that worked for many people. I'm wondering whether to take one of the above, with Nytol or some such, if need be!

Thanks, oscar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am no pharmacist so open to correction but I understand that doxylamine is an anti histamine ,Its blocks the release of histamine and is not a muscle relaxant as such .It does make you drowsy though .

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682537.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would you get the same effect, with Codeine and Paracetamol and a antihistamine like this, then, maybe (given that you can't doxylamine anywhere else) ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cetirizine-HydroChloride-10mg-Tablets-30/dp/B001PMNW66/ref=pd_cp_d_0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/SLEEP-25mg-Doxylamine-Succinate-Tablets/dp/B0045XGE9E

Long term use of any tablet would not be recommended , you would really need to ask a GP about a prescription for your headaches to be honest as non of us know your history .

For example codeine is addictive and its use is restricted now in a lot of countries