Most likely cause of picture freeze/lockup?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
Forum Member
Hi,

I've had a Pioneer DBR-TF100 for a couple of years and it's generally worked excellently. However, for the first time ever the picture completely froze the other night. It was set on the timer to switch on and select E4 to allow my VCR (yeah old technology, but it works!) to record a show after I'd gone to bed, and I only noticed the problem when I watched the recording the next day. About half an hour into the show, the picture froze and sound was lost. After about 15 seconds of silence the sound resumed, but the picture remained frozen, and it stayed like this for the rest of the recording (i.e. until the Pio switched itself off).

Looking through the DS forums there seems to be conflicting opinion as to whether picture freeze is due to poor reception or poor STB software. I checked the Pio's signal strength for E4 but it's no lower than normal.

So, I'd welcome any answers to the following:

- Was the picture freeze more likely to have been caused by poor reception/interference, or by the Pio's software?

- What's the latest s/w version for the DBR-TF100? (I couldn't find any info on the Pioneer UK site.)

- If this problem becomes more frequent, would the best solution be simply to give up on the Pio and buy a newer STB (or a new screen with built-in digital receiver), on the basis that Pioneer don't make this box any more and so are unlikely to release newer software?

Thanks,
Si

Comments

• JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    If your signal strength is normally good it does sound as though the box may be nearing its end. HOWEVER there was very heavy rain last night in some places which could have reduced signal strength. I'd wait and see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    the problem with all digital signals (including SAT TV) is this, they break up when, you get rain, poor atmospherics, the aerial not EXACTLY lined up with the transmitter, the wrong type of snow etc etc , basically digital in the UK at present is pants, and its about time it was sorted out, we the paying public are putting millions of our hard earned cash into something that dosen't work as it should, all this talk of digital switchover by 2012 is rubbish, it should be now.

You get spotty retailers saying how great digital is and basically lying to the public, and if you wish to receive digital it will cost you about £200 for a new aerial, masthead amp, new wiring etc etc , WHY? WHY should the great British public put up with this half way house tv broadcasting? New digital age my arse!!! the only way to receive a decent digital picture is if you live within 5miles of crystal palace, otherwise the digital quality of signals in the UK is carp.

to say it's your receiver, which is probably less than 5 years old is another example of the money spinner that digital TV is to the makers of equipment. And now they are talking of a new compression system MPEG4 that not one digi box or IDTV can support, so we'll all have to go out and buy new boxes, how convenient for all the box manufacturers!!! Remember when TVs lasted forever, nowadays if it lasts past the 1st year it's doing well, but older than 3 years its out of date.

Digital TV is going the same way as PC manufacturing, convince the public that what you've got is out of date and watch the lemmings fall over the cliff towards the next big thing!!

digital, the biggest con, after global warming, to be forced upon the British public in the last 50 years and don't get me started on the red button press me to experience something I don't want to watch...
  • JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Calm down dear! I like my two forms of digital television, if for no other reason - wide screen. However I must agree with you about the "press red" etc. I have had many similar rants myself on that subject.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that long post did have some valid points however - I also think that "tv" is going the same way as the pc. We will be upgrading every couple of years before too long.....even recent HD Ready screens are no longer cutting edge-now you can have "Full HD" screens. In another 12 months it will be like HD v2.0 or HD-X, or whatever.

Dave
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dj_si wrote:
    for the first time ever the picture completely froze the other night. It was set on the timer to switch on and select E4 to allow my VCR (yeah old technology, but it works!) to record a show after I'd gone to bed, and I only noticed the problem when I watched the recording the next day. About half an hour into the show, the picture froze and sound was lost. After about 15 seconds of silence the sound resumed, but the picture remained frozen, and it stayed like this for the rest of the recording (i.e. until the Pio switched itself off).

Looking through the DS forums there seems to be conflicting opinion as to whether picture freeze is due to poor reception or poor STB software. I checked the Pio's signal strength for E4 but it's no lower than normal.

So, I'd welcome any answers to the following:

- Was the picture freeze more likely to have been caused by poor reception/interference, or by the Pio's software?
    With this sort of problem, it is a good idea to inspect the analogue signal before it disappears altogether in a few years time. You can usually spot faults occurring but still see a degraded signal. With low power on digital it just goes off.

I would suspect interference BTW. You might see this on analogue. Digital is very susceptible to impulse interference and a burst of this from a vehicle (scooters are particularly bad) or from something inside your house (like a central heating thermostat) could have screwed up your reception temporarily which then might have upset your receiver.

The other thing is that as DSO nears, a lot of transmitters will go on reduced power as adjustments are made.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dj_si wrote:
    Hi,

Looking through the DS forums there seems to be conflicting opinion as to whether picture freeze is due to poor reception or poor STB software.

I am actually of the view that it is a "bit of both"!

Firstly if your DVB-T signal is perfect then does it actually matter if your STB can't recover from poor reception...impulsive noise....as it is never put to this test.

Secondly if your DVB-T signal is subject to impulsive noise and the STB just glitches and carries on then this must be an indication that the STB can cope with a degraded signal.

So I am of the view that if read of a STB locking up, for whatever reason, then that product or at least that product with version "xyz" Software should be treated with a degree of caution.

I hope my post is of use :)
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice that my Thomson freeview pvr handles breaks in the signal very well - even on recordings. They just appear as minor audio and picture breaks, but the machine still keeps on working and the effect only last 1 or (worse case example), 2secs.

However, my Goodmans Freeview DVD recorder which can actualy pickup weaker signals than the Thomson, doesnt like breakes in the signal at all. It makes much more fuss about it. And if I record from Freeview direct to DVD, and theres a minor picture break, the effect last a lot longer than on the Thomson. I have known it go all "jumpy" for at least 5secs in a few cases.

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree entirely with "mrfreeview" (and regulars will know that it's rare for me to agree with anyone!)

Impulse noise is a frequent cause of "glitches". Sometimes it can be cured by replacing all cable with double-screened and by arranging the cable and aerial to be as far from sources of interference as possible. Sometimes the cause is a too-high analogue signal, cured by fitting an attenuator. Sometimes the digital signal is too weak, requiring an improved aerial installation.

But in all cases, the Freeview receiver ought to be able to recover within a second or two. Failure to do so smacks of poor design.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Having deleted all the unwanted stations using the channel organiser channels 1 2 7 9 and 80 and 81 are the cause It has only happened in the past month or two so I would guess the BBC are withholding some tech reason They do not have a published e-mail address to contact You can write to a PO Box address in Darlington or was it Doncaster
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For any newbies reading this ancient discussion, please note that there is NO longer any analogue transmission in the UK so all references to it can be ignored for today's Freeview.

If you have a Freeview problem see http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/freeview_problems.htm

The MOST common cause of problems (about 50%) is the "fly-lead" that connects Freeview receiver or TV to the aerial socket on the wall. Replace this first (with a decent one).