Syndol tablets unavailable

Comments

• kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nothing over the counter unfortunately. Syndol was unique (apart from the Boots own brand) in that aspect. The caffeine allowed the body to absorb the medicine faster so is unlikely to affect the muscles.
    Another way to help to relax muscles is to apply heat to the area. It's less convenient than having a tablet, but it's usually very effective. Combine it with paracetamol and codeine and it should make a big difference.

I'm not sure if there's anything available on prescription to work as a muscle relaxant. I'll try to remember to find out tomorrow!
    Thanks! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    As far as I can tell, Migraleve, like Syndol, does contain an antihistamine albeit a different one because it uses buclizine hydrochloride in place of doxylamine succinate. The only difference I can see is the lack of caffeine which can easily be rectified.

There do appear to be quite a few options in respect of migraine relief http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/migraine_c_417.html but whether they are effective is another matter entirely.

They use the buclizine to get rid of the sickness that can be associated with migraines. It works differently to the doxylamine so you won't get quite the same effect. The pain relief part is the same though so a paracetamol and codeine mix would still be a good choice!
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Go to Aldi or Lidl and get them even cheaper (under £1). They is also a non-drowsy version with a different type of anti-histamine. I want to be made drowsy, because I seem to be affected more in the early hours of the morning. A glass of cider with it helps ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Go to Aldi or Lidl and get them even cheaper (under £1). They is also a non-drowsy version with a different type of anti-histamine. I want to be made drowsy, because I seem to be affected more in the early hours of the morning. A glass of cider with it helps ;)
    Thanks for the tip. Never thought of it!
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,373
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip. Never thought of it!

The antihistamine doxylamine succinate that's in the original Syndol is readily available from both Ebay and Amazon (l know because I have some) although I would caution against its use if there's an antihistamine already present in a medicine such as the Migraleve mentioned above.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The antihistamine doxylamine succinate that's in the original Syndol is readily available from both Ebay and Amazon (l know because I have some) although I would caution against its use if there's an antihistamine already present in a medicine such as the Migraleve mentioned above.
    Thanks. This is all useful stuff!
  • TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought all the problems with supplies of Syndol had been sorted out last year. They were back in the pharmacies and I had no problem getting them but when I tried today, I've discovered they are unavailable again. This is ridiculous. Surely there's a huge demand and they're effective so what's going on? If I was a shareholder in Reckitts I wouldn't be happy.

I've been doing a bit of searching today to find out what exactly is going on and I've found some glimmers of hope.
    According to this site, they'll be back on the shelves in September 2013 following the conclusion of discussions with the MHRA: Syndol news

Or this one that says 2014! Syndol 2014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tremse wrote: »
    I thought all the problems with supplies of Syndol had been sorted out last year. They were back in the pharmacies and I had no problem getting them but when I tried today, I've discovered they are unavailable again. This is ridiculous. Surely there's a huge demand and they're effective so what's going on? If I was a shareholder in Reckitts I wouldn't be happy.

I've been doing a bit of searching today to find out what exactly is going on and I've found some glimmers of hope.
    According to this site, they'll be back on the shelves in September 2013 following the conclusion of discussions with the MHRA: Syndol news

Thanks for the update. Here's hoping the first one is right. When they come back again, I think people will stock up, just in case. I know I will.
  • NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    Tremse wrote: »

There is not a lot of love for Pharmacy2U out there, and the news is from earlier in the year, before RB reneged on their word.

I don;t think we are any further forward :(

--
    Have similar problems with Medised, for children.... sigh.
  • iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember last time it disappeared and came back, the pharmacist in Boots said everyone was asking for it as there's something in it that isn't in any other painkillers. That's prob been said already in this thread :)
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the September date was optimistic. I asked in my local pharmacy and they said maybe in 2014, though I do keep reading on the internet that Syndol may have been discontinued permanently. My stash ran out 4 weeks back and nothing else is working for me, feeling awful for days whenever I get a headache now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yakutz wrote: »
    Looks like the September date was optimistic. I asked in my local pharmacy and they said maybe in 2014, though I do keep reading on the internet that Syndol may have been discontinued permanently. My stash ran out 4 weeks back and nothing else is working for me, feeling awful for days whenever I get a headache now.
    You probably have but have your tried Panacodal? They work for me sometimes and I've bought some of the ones from South Africa mentioned before.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,862
    Forum Member
    iCandy77 wrote: »
    I remember last time it disappeared and came back, the pharmacist in Boots said everyone was asking for it as there's something in it that isn't in any other painkillers. That's prob been said already in this thread :)

I have a trapped nerve in a tooth that's extremely painful and I found half a dozen Syndol in my bathroom cupboard- they were wonderful and 2 caplets relieved the pain for around 6 hours at a time, then I went to buy more to find they were no longer available.

Anyone have any news on if they're going to make a reappearance anytime soon?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hi all. Just got back from my Easter break and I have some Syndol!!!It's UK packaging and product which I ordered from a UK online chemist. www.highfieldroadpharmacy.co.uk It was a bit pricey but was much cheaper than what I saw on eBay and amazon last year. Anyway I have managed to get what I need but I don't know if it is widely available again.
  • NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    Hi all. Just got back from my Easter break and I have some Syndol!!!It's UK packaging and product which I ordered from a UK online chemist. www.highfieldroadpharmacy.co.uk It was a bit pricey but was much cheaper than what I saw on eBay and amazon last year. Anyway I have managed to get what I need but I don't know if it is widely available again.

Thanks for the info, but at over 6x the retail price, they are absolutely robbing people blind. How old was the stock, as no-one else has any.
  • iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normally when you bought Syndol in the chemist etc you had to buy it from behind the counter. I wouldn't trust that strength of medication bought online. It might be the original packaging but that means nothing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Jay

Thanks for the info.

Are these the round ones or the capsule shaped UK ones? I find the round ones hard to swallow.
    Forum Member
    Hi Jay

Thanks for the info.

Are these the round ones or the capsule shaped UK ones? I find the round ones hard to swallow.

Hi Kimindex
    They are the UK capsule shaped ones. I think they have run out again but I will keep an eye and let you know if they get any more..
    Forum Member
    Hi Ive Just managed to get some more Uk Syndol from www.highfieldroadpharmacy.co.uk
    It is the original UK stock and has expiry dates from may to july next year.
    Hope that is of help
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Ive Just managed to get some more Uk Syndol from www.highfieldroadpharmacy.co.uk
    It is the original UK stock and has expiry dates from may to july next year.
    Hope that is of help
    :)
    Thank you! That's really kind of you to bother. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen this on Twitter:

David Grieve ‏@davidlgrieve Nov 5

Informed by Sanofi, the manufacturers of "Syndol", that supplies will be back in Pharmacies by the end of this month-November as have new PL
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,591
    Forum Member
    Just seen this on Twitter:

David Grieve ‏@davidlgrieve Nov 5

Informed by Sanofi, the manufacturers of "Syndol", that supplies will be back in Pharmacies by the end of this month-November as have new PL

Oh thanks Kimindex, I really hope this happens!

I still have a few tablets left over from when they last came back but I only save them for when I'm desperate!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh thanks Kimindex, I really hope this happens!

I still have a few tablets left over from when they last came back but I only save them for when I'm desperate!
    Yes, same here. I think I've got about 20 left. I have some South African ones, too, but they're really hard to swallow so they're in reserve too!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    Haven't read the whole thread, just a few posts but...

I used to take Syndol for bad tension headaches/migraines. I had initially taken Imigran prescribed by the doctor and although these were good, they made me drowsy, Syndol didn't.

Since they've stopped selling Syndol I've only just managed to find something that works for me.. Caffeine tablets! I only realised that I NEEDED caffeine whilst I was on holiday a couple of weeks ago and wasn't having my usual 3/4 cups of coffee a day. I had a craving for a coffee and within an hour the headache had eased. The next morning I bought caffeine tablets and they worked.

Hopefully this will be a help for me long-term as it's the only thing that was lacking from most other brands I was replacing Syndol with. So although medically caffeine doesn't relieve pain, it did for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    Wow, great.. just read the update that they're coming back.