Sat nav for walkers in a city?

abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We have quite a few city breaks and I'm looking for a hand-held sat nav for walkers, which works in the same way as a sat nav for cars. I want to put in my location eg the rail station, and my destination eg hotel or attraction. Is there such a thing?

I have an android phone and don't find google maps very good for this purpose, and the Garmin etrex I tried was only really suited for hiking / geocaching. I don't want to spend too much money but am sure I've seen a hand-held, walking sat nav several years ago! Just can't seem to locate one....

Comments

• TrevTrev Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had this on my last 2 phones and have found it to be very good indeed

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.telmap.navigator.ukd2c&hl=en_GB
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    We have quite a few city breaks and I'm looking for a hand-held sat nav for walkers, which works in the same way as a sat nav for cars. I want to put in my location eg the rail station, and my destination eg hotel or attraction. Is there such a thing?

I have an android phone and don't find google maps very good for this purpose, and the Garmin etrex I tried was only really suited for hiking / geocaching. I don't want to spend too much money but am sure I've seen a hand-held, walking sat nav several years ago! Just can't seem to locate one....

Are you looking for something with off line maps to save on data charges? Navfree has off line maps and a walking mode.
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trev wrote: »
    I've had this on my last 2 phones and have found it to be very good indeed

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.telmap.navigator.ukd2c&hl=en_GB

Thank you. I checked it out and apparently they now charge monthly which has led to a lot of reviewers uninstalling. A shame as it looked good.
    Are you looking for something with off line maps to save on data charges? Navfree has off line maps and a walking mode.

Just installed this! I now have to get a memory card in order to download the free maps as I didn't have enough internal storage - but all being well, this might do the trick.....

You're absolutely right about the roaming data charges; I hadn't considered that. If you use it - any tips or advice?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try cyclestreets on the web.
    If you think it will work for you they have a free 'UK map pack' for their app too.

Obviously Google maps does the job too. Likely you have to select the walking layer before you download your offline map area.
    Forum Member
    Thank you. I checked it out and apparently they now charge monthly which has led to a lot of reviewers uninstalling. A shame as it looked good.

Just installed this! I now have to get a memory card in order to download the free maps as I didn't have enough internal storage - but all being well, this might do the trick.....

You're absolutely right about the roaming data charges; I hadn't considered that. If you use it - any tips or advice?

Just make sure you are on wifi when downloading the UK maps, it's about 500 meg!
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just make sure you are on wifi when downloading the UK maps, it's about 500 meg!

I know! Do you use it?
    Forum Member
    I know! Do you use it?

Yes it works quite well, I tend to use Google maps for most in city walking nav but Navfree is a good backup if there's no data connection.

The interface takes a bit of getting used to but it works well enough.